Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Recurring Dreams

PostiveStar

Hi There

Havent posted for a while. But needing a little advise. The past 4+weeks I have been having recurring dreams about an ex of mine. We were in a relationship a mere 7 months and broke up 11+ years ago. We haven't spoken since and even though we live in relative close proximity of each other, I've probably seen him once or twice since we broke up. We were both still very young and did care bout each other a great deal. I left him because I wasn't quite ready for commitment and didn't see it lasting. I was harsh towards him and only after I left did I realise how much I truly meant to him (I was his first real gf). I've heard quite a few horror stories about how the break up effected him (Via mutual friends) - Example: Afraid of commitment, cheats, bounces from one girl to the next.

Enough back story: Fast forward 11 years. Im currently in a committed relationship of 8 months and see myself marrying my current partner. I haven't given ex a lot of thought over the years until now. He keeps popping up in all my dreams, and I mean EVERY single night.

What could be the reason? Maybe I should just contact him on Fb and ask how he is?

Again ---- in order to get yourself to stop thinking about him, you want to interrupt his life 11 years later? That seems pretty selfish.

The break up was over a decade ago.

I would surmise that your dreams about him are directly related to "commiting" to your current bf.

A person in a dream may not represent the person themselves, but rather some other part of your subconscious. The subconscious employs images you might recognise to try to convey some idea to your conscious mind. Try some word association to find out what feeling or idea your ex might represent.

First of all there a two types of dreams in my opinion, and yours if the first type a symbolic one. The Ex is representing a fear of commitment on your part with your current partner. I would say the biggest thing to do is step back and ask what is the nature of the dream? Are you reliving past events or a series of who he was types of images; I suspect this is the case and thus you would do best to not engage him on any level (aside from the chance meeting).

...We were in a relationship a mere 7 months and broke up 11+ years ago.... I left him because I wasn't quite ready for commitment and didn't see it lasting.

...Im currently in a committed relationship of 8 months and see myself marrying my current partner....

...the 7 month "mark" does have some significance, so it could possibly be this.

If this were my dream, I would look at the similarity or pattern that you mention, rather than consider it a premonitory dream. Could it be you aren't ready for a commitment yet with your current partner? You might still be in the honeymoon stage.

Archived