Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

I joined a Facebook group for people with Aspergers. It is actually pretty depressing to see how many people were so horribly unsupported by their parents.

All the talk of excluding neurotypicals and what jerks they are is really kind of just distressing. It is something that is totally foreign in our family group.

Interesting. I can see all the features in my daughter. She not he told diagnosed. I suspect she has asd but not sure yet. Some of the pictures almost seemed like they were grasping at straws though to me. Like there was one picture of a little boy that wasn't used in the study but I didn't think he had wide set eyes at all. His eyes looked very close. But it is very interesting

Downs Syndrome patients do have certain physical features that are clinically linked to the disorder and yes, they are included in the diagnostic criteria. That's not being mean or eugenic like, that's just science and the nature of the disorder. The eyes, facial features, and even certain hand features.

Autism, well, it's not really the same. However, I have a very good sense of autistic individuals by now and it's not their "looks" exactly that strike me, it's their expressions, or sometimes, lack thereof. I can't really explain it. I've grown up with autistic individuals. I "see" or "hear" elements of one or both of siblings in someone and I just go "ohh". I wish I could explain it, really wish I could.

Recently my son and I had a social situation gone wrong. We were at Wally world looking for two items. We walked by this girl who said ,hey R remember me?" He gave her a look that said why the hell should I remember you. Then she said ,"are you sure you don't remember me?" He said ,"why was I supposed to remember you?" And then he turned and walked away.

She looked at her girlfriend looked back at him and said ,"freak" and walked away.

My heart hurts for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously what the F? My son's last resource teacher back home is an autism advocate, primarily advocating in schools as he is a resource teacher and special education teacher and has been for the past 20 years. You didn't know my son had autism??? You couldn't recognize it????

There are days you could just lose your mind.

While we are at the member of Parliament's office the executive assistant tried to use a example social situation example question with my son. He gave her a crazy look and said why would I want to do that? And she said oh I'm sorry honey I shouldn't have done that. And he said no tell me what you mean I don't know what you mean. But just that small incident brought his Aspergers so glaringly to light. In the social arena it is glaringly obvious he has major difficulties.

We had another go at the CRA today. My son's doctor filled out the disability tax form again. He also stated that my son is markedly disabled. And added more comments in the comment section. Then we went up to a member of Parliament got them to write a letter to the CRA and sent them the package in an envelope from the MP's office. From there I took the package to the post office and sent it out by priority post. Cost $40. The CRA should have it by tomorrow.

Does the college your son will be attending have an office of disabilities (or something of the sorts) that can help advocate for him to have extra time on tests, etc...?

Thanks Annie for the good wishes!

Yes, his college is well-known for the awesome support they offer disabled students, especially those with autism. It is part of the reason that we want him to go there.

He also went there for his dual credit program and already has one college credit. So he knows the college already.