Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

help! SCAM?

Guest teslaboy1

Guest teslaboy1

so i just got an email from a fake credit report thing. I was checking on my iphone in my gmail inbox. i clicked the link in the email, but it took me to a website that i immediately knew was a scam, so i exited out the page. i didn't enter any info because once it brought me to the site, i closed the window on my smartphone browser. however, some people say that just by clicking the link, even though i didnt enter any info or sign up, my phone is susceptible to the scammer downloading malware or whatever. is this true? keep in mind i did not enter any info on that fake website.

Go to the iTunes play store and download Lookout Mobile Security antivirus or another program and run scans to make sure you iPhone hasn't been compromised. You have to have antivirus/antispyware programs on all electronic devices these days, just as much as you'd lock your doors and not give your credit card and pin numbers to total strangers.

I never click on links unless it's an email I know from someone AND it's something they'd normally send me. I added that second part after my sister's email got hacked and I got this sort of odd "hey, check this out" with no subject heading and none of her usual dialogue that she goes into when she sends me something she thinks I'd be interested in. I thought it was weird at the time, but ignored my gut and clicked the link... I had to end up taking my computer back to factory settings to get rid of the virus that got downloaded.

So yes, antivirus/antispyware/real time protection programs are a must. I love Lookout Security, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware and use the paid versions just to make sure I get the full benefit. I'm paranoid about my computer safety.

Archived