Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

I scratched my wedding ring and I think I got cheated.

Perrin83

Um, no, not for wedding rings anyway. that is what is called 'gilded', where they apply a thin layer of gold over silver or other metal.

If they sold it as 100% gold you got cheated. A reputable jewelry store would not sell you such a ring without telling you it is gilded first. If you paid full gold price for it, you should try to get your money back if you can. If you didn't realize what gilded meant and they told you, then you didn't get cheated, though it was a huge misunderstanding.

You might want to have your husband buy you a full gold ring for a wedding anniversary. And if you like the style of the ring, you can get a gold craftsman to copy it in full gold. I'm sorry, i know it must be upsetting. but gilded items will eventually scratch like that. You could also have it re-gilded periodically.

Oops, sorry, didn't realize that.

Yes, that is possible that is it over white gold. But they usually gild things to save money because someone wants the look of gold, but not to pay for a solid gold item.

You could take it in and have it tested to see if it is gold on the interior as well. But still wrong of them to not tell you it was gilded. Wedding rings in theory need to last a LONG time (50 years) and gilt will wear off over time, especially on a ring vs. something like earrings or a bracelet. I would buy gilded earrings, but never a ring for exactly that reason, the wear and tear on it to expose inner layers.

Oops, sorry, didn't realize that.

Yes, that is possible that is it over white gold. But they usually gild things to save money because someone wants the look of gold, but not to pay for a solid gold item.

You could take it in and have it tested to see if it is gold on the interior as well. But still wrong of them to not tell you it was gilded. Wedding rings in theory need to last a LONG time (50 years) and gilt will wear off over time, especially on a ring vs. something like earrings or a bracelet. I would buy gilded earrings, but never a ring for exactly that reason, the wear and tear on it to expose inner layers.

No worries

I'll stop in to ask them what's up

Thanks!

Archived