Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

New skirt, bad smell, how to get it out?

happpybear

I bought a skirt from a vintage shop. I did the smell test and noticed a faint...smell. I cant describe the smell. It's not BO, mildew, pet smells, food etc. It's just an odd smell.

It's a 100% cotton skirt.

So I washed it, with my laundry soda, and the smell was gone when I took it out of the washer. I let it air dry in the sun. When it was dry, I noticed a very faint smell at the waist, but figured it was hardly an issue so I wore it.

After a few hours the smell had become quite noticeable to me and I had to take the skirt off.

So I let it soak for 12 hours in a baking soda/white vinegar/water solution. Then I washed it again. It had no smell coming out of the wash. Let it air dry again. It still had the faint smell after it had dried. So I soaked it again in oxi-clean overnight. washed, dried, but it STILL SMELLS!!

Is their anything else that might help?

I have seen these enzymatic cleaners at the pet store that claim to get bad (pet) smells out of fabrics, but they are pricey and the reviews online are hit-or-miss. Has anyone tried something like this?

Good ole febreeze There must be a way to remove the smell completely though and not just mask it...the vinegar/baking soda mix has always worked perfectly well for me in the past, I was so surprised that it didn't work this time. There has to be a way...

I thought about taking it to a dry cleaner, but it's cotton, so I don't think they can do anything with it.

Could try and see if anything in this article would work: The kitty litter sounds interesting, lol.

link removed

hmmm the kitty litter DOES sound interesting...It makes sense though...I might give it a try.

Lol, I don't want to give up on the skirt, and I will go to ridiculous lengths

I don't normally get excited about clothing, but this skirt is adorable and I don't want to toss it in the trash.

Honestly - it could be physiological. Sometimes smells get "stuck" in my nose - like one time my puppy had an accident. I cleaned the pee up - but I swore I could still smell urine for the next two weeks (even after re-cleaning multiple times). Everyone called me crazy and said they didn't smell anything at all.

^^Really? I didn't think dry cleaners worked with fabrics that could be washed the regular way...well maybe I will ask them if they can do anything, or maybe they have some tips that I can try at home if they can't do anything for me.

My mother sent our sheets out my entire childhood ---- the come back clean AND ironed!!!!

Give at a coating of baking soda and let sit for a bit then and vinegar, it will foam up of course, mix it together then add some water and let soak for about 15 m in. Rinse well and let air dry outside on a hanger.

Hope this helps you, I have had to use this before on clothes I bought from garage sell and thrift stores.

Archived