Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Has Anyone Made "Felted Wool" Blankets

Silverbirch

It's so cold where I live right now. I went shopping today looking for a really warm woollen blanket. The one I currently use is very old, but I am so glad I didn't throw it out as I nearly did prior to the move. I have a synthetic wool blanket and a doona a which is useless with the cold. Anyway, the decent merino wool blankets started at around $200 at Target.

I did some googling tonight, and saw tutorials on felted wool blankets. I am quite certain we usually refer to this as "boiled wool" in Australia. Anyway, these blankets are beautiful and cheap to make. You need to use pure wool. You buy pure wool sweaters from op shops, doesn't matter if they are a bit damaged. You wash them several times, first in very hot water, then rinse them in cold. This causes the wool to felt and you can cut it without it fraying - if you have "boiled it" enough times.

I will post some links. Knitting a blanket would take me years, and these ones are said to be very warm.

Thanks LD. I have an alpaca wool cardi which is very light but warm, but I was under the impression that you need to use sheeps wool for the felting. Alpaca wool is very expensive here. LOL I have a friend who had 2 pet sheep. He gets them shorn twice a year, but unless the shearer wants to take the wool himself, it gets thrown out. Seems a waste, but not many people spin these days though some old ladies in the town I live in spin wool from their own sheep.

Did you find the felt wool extremely warm? Any problems with itching?

I have always wanted to felt, I really want to make felted mittens because I think they would be much warmer and water resistant than regular lined wool mittens. I don't know much about how to do it, i have read instructions before that required that you use a cloths dryer. I'm a renter so I am afraid to use my buildings dryer for wool experiments, haha! Maybe there are other ways. I should look into it.

I have heard that whatever you make you have to make it three times as large, because it will shrink significantly once it's been felted.

Archived