Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What exactly makes someone "weird" in your option?

Cynder

I am not seeking advice. I just thought this would be an interesting topic.

The other day my neighbors accross the street had a yard sale and I was over there looking around and talking to them. There was a lady at the yard sale who I kind of know because she knows my ex husband. And she was telling me, "Yea, he's one weird dude." meaning my ex. I told her "Yea, I could tell you some stories." But I left it at that.

But then I started thinking about all the people I know who have been labeled "weird." myself included. And most of them aren't really doing anything to hurt others.

I have a good friend who is really into herpetology and has about a dozen pet reptiles. She has made a career out of this, traveling around giving talks about them, etc. But a lot of people think she's "weird."

I have another friend who people think is weird for no reason other then that he's very flamboyantly gay.

So, in your opinion, what makes a person weird? I know there are going to be varying opinions on this thread. I know everyone has a different comfort level, etc. Like I said, not seeking advice, just thought it would be an interesting OT discussion.

People who have no sense of others' boundaries. Thinking of the neighbor who came over unannounced one afternoon and used his laptop at our house because he needed to get away from home/wife. We let him stay, but he just kind of came in and went straight to the table and sat himself down. We live in a city, we are not intimate friends, he could have gone any where. It was harmless, but odd.

Everybody's "weird" if you look hard enough (some easier than others). By your OP, it seems what's not weird is conforming to the conventional, cookie-cutter way of life. Everybody will have something, even a tiny bit of something, of a quirk to be deemed "weird" by someone else.

But you know, I like IThinkICan's post because that kind of "weird" is a negative rather than being neutral and a part of quirky life. I'm thinking of this one 40 year old woman who randomly showed up at this one place who belongs to a woman, and they don't know each other. She crashed there, refused to leave to the point that the house owner had to kick her out because hello, crossing boundaries by staying at a stranger's place and demanding it to be your home as well.

I do suppose others would look at those harmless "weird" quirks as "negative" but that's probably because they're afraid to be seen apart from their cookie-cutter ideal, hence labeling others as "weird" automatically.

I am probably considered weird because I like graveyards, wearing vintage clothes, dressing up in wigs and costumes and not for halloween just for dinner parties and club outings, lol. I don't care if someone has weird habits or hobbies if they are an overall nice person to others.

Lol, you and I would get along great in real life.

Lol, you and I would get along great in real life.

If you like what I mentioned we would, I embrace the weirdness in myself and others because it makes people interesting to be a bit off and quirky and the stories can be fantastic too that they have to tell you. There is a man at a coffee shop who talks to himself and sits in that shop window off and on all day the owners welcome him because he is basically harmless, but he always calls girls by boys names and vice versa. I will talk with him and buy him a coffee, juice, water and something to eat when I go in and he always calls me some mans name and nice seein you fella when I wave bye, lol I miss him when I go in and he isn't there.

If you like what I mentioned we would, I embrace the weirdness in myself and others because it makes people interesting to be a bit off and quirky and the stories can be fantastic too that they have to tell you. There is a man at a coffee shop who talks to himself and sits in that shop window off and on all day the owners welcome him because he is basically harmless, but he always calls girls by boys names and vice versa. I will talk with him and buy him a coffee, juice, water and something to eat when I go in and he always calls me some mans name and nice seein you fella when I wave bye, lol I miss him when I go in and he isn't there.

There's a homeless guy here in my town that I talk to every time I see him. He's ridiculously smart and we usually talk about politics. The vibe I get from him is that he chooses to be homeless and not part of the system. But I could be wrong. I don't know his story.

I have been the weird employee at pretty much every place I've worked. I sealed my fate at one job because I eat healthy and would put an herbal mixture in my water bottle. (I was recovering from being very ill at the time and it was helping.)

At another job I was dubbed the office weirdo because I listen to Rush. The day I started they were touring. And my brother left me a voicemail asking me to call him on my break. So I did and we he told me he got tickets and where our seats were and everything. When I got off the phone everyone wanted to know who I was going to see (because they all were nosy and listening to my conversation) and when I told them that was the end of that. I was the weird girl who listens to old music from the 70s and goes to concerts with her brother. Whatevs.

I have been the weird employee at pretty much every place I've worked. I sealed my fate at one job because I eat healthy and would put an herbal mixture in my water bottle. (I was recovering from being very ill at the time and it was helping.)

Oh ya this is me for sure, haha. I'm pretty much 100% sure that I have been labelled the office weirdo for being a health nut, because I also do stuff like that. Like when I was bringing in bright green smoothies,, lol.

I also tend to keep to myself, I just hate office politics and I abhor gossip and stupid girly chit-chat about hair/clothes/make-up etc, I would prefer to just get my job done and then go home. But, I think it is seen as weird for women to be quiet in the workplace. I also used to chat about Game of Thrones sometimes with another colleague that was considered weird, we would talk about the characters and where we thought the story would go, so grown adults taking about dragons etc. LOl.. So ya, I think I got labelled the weirdo...I really don't give a damn though

I would never label someone weird based on their hobbies/interests or dress. The only people I would label weird are people that ignore, or do not understand basic social conventions--like what ITIC wrote. Or people that display mental/emotional instability. People that like to stir up trouble for fun. That sort of behavior is weird to me.

There is good weird and scary weird. Creative, quirky, passionate, imaginative, very sensitive people can often be called weird. I don't look weird at start because of my appearance but when people get to know me I try and reveal the weirdness in doses and see what the response is (I have a couple of imaginary characters amongst other things) Weird can also be someone's humour if it's dark and twisted, I love that kind of humour. I love individuality and talking to all sorts of people too, individuality is not weird. Proper weird is people doing things that make no sense and are not aware at all of what they are doing. At times I am intrigued by these people and other times they really bring an uncomfortable vibe. I worked with this girl for just one month and she would make absolutely no sense, interrupting people, dressing very strange (I like strange but that was unreal strange), she would always turn up late or stay at work just for 1 hr, just..strange.

Lol, ENA is full of workplace "weirdos." I'm one too.

A lot of it goes back to my INFJ personality. link removed

I'm the type who totally doesn't get why, after working with someone for years, I have to be the one to greet them or start conversations with them almost all the time. I'm super-friendly, but if you act closed-off, then so will I. If you want me to be "awkward" or quiet, then I will be towards you, because it's what you want, and you the same way with me!

Lol, ENA is full of workplace "weirdos." I'm one too.

A lot of it goes back to my INFJ personality. link removed

I'm the type who totally doesn't get why, after working with someone for years, I have to be the one to greet them or start conversations with them almost all the time. I'm super-friendly, but if you act closed-off, then so will I. If you want me to be "awkward" or quiet, then I will be towards you, because it's what you want, and you the same way with me!

Ya I am INFJ too (high-five!). I think extroverted types are more accepted in a corporate environment. The industry that I wanted to work in and went to school for--museum/archival field--is full if introverted types. I would have fit in perfectly there.

I've always thought weird to most people meant anything that makes a person stand out from the cookie cutter unwashed masses. In short, most people. And I personally think weird is good. I get creeped out by Steppford wife and husband-types. You know, the type of person who always looks so glossy and put together and if you say anything deeper than "cute handbag" or "who's your favorite team" they give you that glaze-eyed look that says, "Danger, red alert, person who will make me think!"

It's been a long-established fact I am hopelessly weird. I introduced my kids to Led Zeppelin and let them wear their hair in a mohawk while all the other mothers on my block were fretting over Juniors college of choice and shopping to find the perfect first school day outfit. I was scolded for not playing classic music to my kids and (gasp) sitting down to play a rousing game of Black Ops with them instead. And don't even ask what my friends and family thought of my buying an abandoned ranch in the New Mexico desert then going to live there. I fly my weirdo flag pretty proudly.

I tend to use the term weird to describe odd events rather than people. Like the time I was in a thunderstorm then rounded a bend and it was sunshine without a trace of rain. "Well that was weird." With people I tend to describe what the person is doing in descriptive terms--i.e. his staring makes me feel scared, I wish he'd stop OR she definitely has a different fashion sense than most when a friend wears something odd. I don't really use the term weird, because it's such generic term for "different" or "Unusual" or "not like most people around here". When someone says "So and so is weird" I always ask what that means exactly and then I'll usually get the "she's weird" stare myself since nine times out of ten it'll be something I think is cool or I'll know all about it too. "Your neighbor studies reptiles? Introduce us, I used to have a neighbor that did that too! In fact, he taught me..."

Yup I'm a weirdo.

To me weird is someone who is unusual socially - doesn't take normal social cues or behave in the expected social way. It's not about unusual hobbies or dress style, it's more about unpredictable and unusual behavior.

I agree with this 100%. Cynder's example of the person who loves reptiles and has 12 reptile pets and spends a lot of time doing reptile-related things: That's not weird. It's unusual but that's not the same thing. Weird is a personality thing, like someone who's not compatible, like a very strange shaped puzzle piece in a jigsaw puzzle that doesn't seem to fit with any of the other pieces, and maybe it fits in with something but you don't see it yet.

Ya I am INFJ too (high-five!). I think extroverted types are more accepted in a corporate environment. The industry that I wanted to work in and went to school for--museum/archival field--is full if introverted types. I would have fit in perfectly there.

I mean I'm just like...controlled. I don't go around smiling all the time but it doesn't mean I'm in a bad mood lol. I'm a thinker and planner, I promise I'm not scary.

I agree too about unusual social behaviors - Like boundaries, oversharing with strangers, etc.

I don't think any dress makes someone weird, sexual practices, morbid interests, whatever. But I am completely put off by strangers who, say, share that they have some toenail fungus and try to show it to me. Or as a stranger, find it appropriate to ask me personal questions and not get the hint that I am not interesting in answering them, and keep pushing.

My neighbour walked up to me the first time I met him...and asked what sign I am...and then told me we couldn't date because we were incompatible...and then walked inside his house. I thought he was weird but in an endearing way We're now friends. My friends can't stand him though...he's too "out there". I refer to him (in front of him) as "my crazy astrology neighbour". He laughs. Because he is.

I think anyone can seem weird without context. Get to know them....and you'll "get" them...*shrugs* I'm weird. We're all a little weird. I think our weirdness is what makes each of us awesome and loveable.

You IN types, I agree. I am ENTP and my E traits are valued in my workplace. I am supposed to be built for leadership. As a woman in a man's world, my E traits have struggled with presumed boundaries between men and women. I am outgoing, a connector and collector of people. Most my people are men. If I am presumed to be a sexual being first and a professional second, then connecting with men is burdened by a bunch of nouse.

I didn't enjoy being attractive for some years because of this, and tried to be less E.

Am glad now to embrace both. If people want to subject me to their poisoned view of the world, let them. I will leave them in my dust.

I have called weird, lesbian, fake, sexually available, etc. Why? Some will say its because I wear no make up at work, wear my hair up, and have a body that is distracting to some. I say it is because others live small. I haven't heard this noise in some years. Maybe the world is changing. Maybe I don't listen, or am better at controlling my signals.

I am not weird, but being E or I and/ or opposite gender to ones audience can still feel weird for some. E/I and M/F involve predominant communication styles. They mislead us into judging others inaccurately and to feeling judged ourselves. It's enough to make people conform. Blech.

My favorite poem, first verse only, by Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89), published in 1918. Reminds us to use our voices, no matter how different each one is relative to another. It is why we are here.

AS kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies dráw fláme;

As tumbled over rim in roundy wells

Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell’s

Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;

Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:

Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;

Selves—goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,

Crying Whát I do is me: for that I came.

Weird people are just those on a funky roll hater meteor shower cruise. You know, like when you're trippin vibes and you got your favorite drink in your hand and there's the band settin up and you're like whoa dude this is way out there I'm gonna fly to the moon or somethin or buy a Dihatsu. It can go like that, eye drops, perfume, nuclear ant farms and all.

Weird people are just those on a funky roll hater meteor shower cruise. You know, like when you're trippin vibes and you got your favorite drink in your hand and there's the band settin up and you're like whoa dude this is way out there I'm gonna fly to the moon or somethin or buy a Dihatsu. It can go like that, eye drops, perfume, nuclear ant farms and all.

I don't even know what just happened.

Cold peas are not hot, man.

If this isn't a drunk post then ...maybe this falls into the "weird" basket ...lol.

Archived