Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

Fat girl.

hers

What motivates me in independent exercise (been exercising regularly for 32 years; did group classes for a few of those years; been exercising 7 days a week for the last 5 years and prior to that it was anywhere between 4-7 days a week) is that I know with my schedule I cannot do it "anytime" so optimally I get it over with as early as possible in the day. If you are a person with a very flexible lifestyle/schedule and you don't set a specific time frame each day then I can see where it might be more difficult to be accountable. Another way is telling a friend when you plan on exercising and she has permission to get on your case if you don't. At this point I don't feel myself or alert enough until I exercise, even though I am very physically active the rest of the day. So that's a motivator too.

I did like classes a lot - but I also love catching up on TV if I use the treadmill or catching up on my podcasts or with friends by phone if I exercise outside.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What keeps me exercising is doing it for my mental health. I love the way I feel after a workout. That delicious tired, jello feeling in my legs. Feeling all zen and stuff when I've finally relaxed. If I strictly just exercised for my physical health I would totally fall off the bandwagon constantly.

And because of that, I don't look at exercise as a chore. I am impatient enough where I want instant gratification. I don't get it physically (as in, results like inches lost, muscle etc), but I DO get instant gratification mentally/emotionally. So that is my motivator right there.

I'll have you know i keep clicking on your thread because i love the honesty and cheekiness of your 'Fat Girl' title to the thread... half the battle is acknowledging you have an issue and then being honest by starting to deal with it... you'll eventually settle on the right method that will work for you...

>> always just try to make it to the next meal. It's like I have a phobia of being hungry

btw, really important tip: a lot of people think they are hungry, when what they really are is thirsty and they are misinterpreting hunger when they are really just thirsty. Next time you think you are hungry or the serving size isn't large enough, drink a full glass of water. And drink water throughout the day and whenever you get a hunger pang, and you might be surprised to find you are not as hungry as you thought, but were really just dehydrated and craving water but misterpreting the craving.

Water also fills up your stomach, which helps with that 'empty' feelings when dieting. Drink a full glass of water with every meal if you think the portion size is too small and it will have the same effect at filling your stomach with food.

I know the water-when-you're-hungry trick. I drink about 64 oz of water a day. More if I go to the gym. I carry a Nalgene bottle with the measurements on it. Wen I walk dogs on the weekend, I seem to drink even more water bc it's hot out.

I'm having a breakfast of peanut butter, banana, and honey on white bread right now with a little milk. Not my usual weekend breakfast full of starch and lard but it'll do. It's like 400 calories or something. Only 1000 more for the day. I'm gonna go walk dogs and probably go to the gym later since jared will be held up playing nerd games all day.

I'm glad you think my title is honest. It's not said in a depreciating kind of way. More so in a "I have to laugh at myself or else" kind of way haha

Well I usually buy wheat bread, but Jared doesn't like wheat bread (surprise surprise) and has been wanting sandwiches lately so I bought white bread. Once he's out of his sandwich phase (they never last long), I'll go back to wheat b/c I prefer the taste better anyway.

I did go to Moe's today and have a wheat tortilla though. Progress I guess. Last time I got a burrito bowl with all the good stuff (queso and ranch and such) taken out. This time I got a burrito with all that stuff in it and am now kicking myself.

I went to the gym just now and was so miserable the entire time. I don't usually go on Sundays but I couldn't very well take a second nap. I'd already walked/jogged some dogs at the shelter today and sweated my ass off, but my Moe's burrito was much more than I had anticipated so I went to the gym to at least burn some of it off. But I didn't want to be there today. I just didn't. Every second that ticked I thought "Ok, just a quarter mile more" and was pissed the whole time. I was watching a particularly good episode of Dawson's Creek though so I didn't want to just leave before I finished it, even though I was watching it on Netflix on my phone, so I kept pushing. But I was pissed the whole time haha.

I've been seeing which dogs at the shelter would make good jogging dogs so that I can report it in their behavior sheets in hopes of a prospective home, in case someone is looking for that kind of thing, but I can't make it very far since I only wear flip flops. But still, the area near the shelter is full of hills and such so I'm counting it in my exercise. Not to mention I walk briskly with them anyway since they are all so pent up with energy since they spend most of their time in the kennels. So I have to walk fast or else I may face death by dragging. But it helps my calorie counts.

Sweet babes. I just love those dogs so much. But that's for another journal.

So I've been thinking a lot about why my dieting efforts usually fail...and it's because I just eat salads, avoid beer and ice cream...and try to "be good" all the time. So this time, I've been counting everything...and eating everything I want. I eat sour dough bread, and cheese...and beer, and ice cream and perogies...I just put it in Mfp counter beforehand to figure out how much I can have. I bought a scale...and I weight my ice cream...and I google how many calories my specialty beer has...and I just make it work. I've always felt to deprived...and I can't wait to "eat normal"....but this time, I'm eating everything, just less. My first weigh in is on Wednesday....I'm hoping this is working...although...I feel like I've been bad" but I do eat way less Nutella than I was lol

I've been putting everything in there beforehand too. Well, except my burrito yesterday. But we are going to moe's for lunch today too so I'll plan a little better for this one.

The planning of it doesn't really bother me. But yesterday I was so frustrate that I was over my count and just said the hell with it and ate ice cream.

Day 3 plank: 46.25 seconds.

I think it's great that you're doing planks! I started out doing them for 20 or 30 seconds. Now I do them for a minute to 90 seconds -- I had to build up. I usually do a plank, then some push-ups ("girl" push ups because, well, I'm not strong enough to go down very far on regular "man" push-ups), then another plank, then more push ups. Planks are a great way to strengthen your core, and they apparently burn a lot of calories for such a short amount of time.

Keep going!

I think you need to find an exercise or sport which you actually enjoy. It sounds painful to read about you being pissed on a treadmill. Sport and exercising should be something to look forward to, something which makes you happy and energised. Also, people always overestimate how much they burn. To see the results, you really have to push yourself. I was only able to achieve great results when I had hired a personal trainer. Since that I came to enjoy exercise and love it cause it really makes wonders to my mood and general well-being.

Because it's typically easier to grab chips than an apple unless you've already washed and sliced the apple and have it ready for snacking (not sure if you like eating an apple whole, especially if you just feel like having part of it and not a whole one).

Red delicious are my favorite!

I have the apples sitting next to the chips. Literally. I eat the apples whole. I rinse them off. They take me longer to eat so I feel like I'm getting more.

But I always want to grab chips.

I just ate an apple and it was better than my moe's burrito bowl today.

I think I may buy a bag of apples next time instead of 2 or 3 like I usually do bc I'll eat them if I feel like they may go to waste.

We have a farmer's market too that has hours all year long and is open 2x a week. I do try to go when I am able to. I love it! I think you will find the prices are a lot better for produce than in your local grocery store. At least at mine, I can buy anything and it all tastes delicious. My trick is, I like to go about an hour or so before the market closes so I can get the best prices. The farmers want to sell off their lot of produce before the market closes that day so they don't have to take anything back home, so they start slicing prices like crazy when closing time draws near.

I can get a big 'ole quart of fresh berries (not the pithy 6 oz the store gives you) for $1-$2. A few cucumbers for $1. Head of lettuce for $1-$2. Good stuff.

Archived