Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Diary Of A Redhead

mylolita

I’ve pummelled the caffeine today, in a measured, professional way only a true drug addict could do.

I’ve realised when people say on the street, “Wow! I don’t know how you do it!” Or “I don’t know where you get your energy from!?” Well hunny, it’s called being a drug addict and my drug is COFFEE NOW HAEEEEEEYYYYY howareya!?!

I saw a Mum friend walk past our house today, her little boy dragging behind her. I run out, possessed, shouting, “Hey! Michaela! Hey!” She startles and instantly smiles and stops. I can tell - her day is made. Hostess mode is in full flight and we are gonna party and enjoy ourselves and by enjoy ourselves I mean drink lots of tea complain a little and laugh about things to do with kids and woman problems. I’ll probably laugh about my shopping addiction and then show her around the house. She hadn’t seen it yet.

We had a fab morning! And, she left with a spring in her step! And it just made me realise how much I ADORE spontaneous socials! My ideal is someone knocking on my door! Rat a tat tat! Hey Ho! As long as things are neat-ish I don’t mind! Oh; and I have my face on. Then we’re good and anything is allowed to happen!

x

I never really have much thought to how I am as a parent. I thought I was like everyone else. I have got to realise that, I am quite loosey goosey. My kids were shouting “HAUNTED BEEEEAAST!” At the top of their lungs while throwing down whole tubs of plastic balls down the stairs. They were ricocheting off the walls, down four flights of stairs, a rainbow waterfall of strays bouncing down the hallway at the bottom, rolling past me as I sat on the couch. I’m just laughing and saying, you guys are loons, full of affection for it.

My mum on the other hand, would be going crazy about this and panicking about making them tidy it all up and safety.

I have my kids settling down for a nap and rest at 3pm, a time most mothers would be horrified at this bedtime delaying weird time of day, just because they are tired and I feel like a rest too. So we all sleep and I put off waking them up until it’s now, 5pm, and because I have no concept of time or don’t walk to the beat of normal 9-5 daily rhythms, we’ll probably hustle up, have a picnic upstairs on the top floor and roll around like more loons whilst I unpack even more boxes. I think this is perfectly cool, but sometimes people are horrified at the lack of structure. But it is structured. There is always a rest, and I play it by ear on how they seem to feel that day. I don’t know.

I‘m also just gathering up this lovely energy that seems to come to me late afternoon and evening. I have just about woken up from the morning - it’s 5pm. Just got over the sun rising whilst it is due to set!

Morning ya’ll! 

x

No offence guys, but things have been totally boring around ENA and the journal part especially. What’s goin’ on?!

I feel like I need to create some drama of my own right now! 

Can I dish it?!

I obsessively check here for some updates and find a tumble weed or nothing juicy. I demand some juice! Freshly squeezed!

C’mon!

I’m bored here. Guess it’s back to swirling wipe board letters with my son, unpacking boxes and chasing my husband round the house goosing his a** while he’s trying to work. 

I’ll write something I’d like to read later. If one doesn’t amuse one’s self, well, what doth one expect?! Ho ho ho! 

“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.". ― Oscar Wilde

x

• Haha 1

I’ve come to realise that everyone, most people, have some form of meditation they carve out for themselves in their day.

And it’s not a yoga session on a cliff top whilst someone rhythmically beats a bong. Although some loons do that. But, it’s exercise, or a DIY project, or reading on an evening, going for a walk, cooking, or switching on an old favourite movie, chatting with a friend, gardening, the drive to work, the drive anywhere, sitting on a plane, buying a magazine, shopping, going to church - or like me, it’s sitting down whilst I can hear the kids play on a morning, with my trusty little make up bag set infront of me, slid out of her antique drawer - and putting my face on.

Now, when people imagine “glamorous” types or “trophy wife types” (now, behave - I am not suggesting vainly I am a trophy wife but I do tick a few boxes. Much younger than my husband, successful husband, I don’t work. I spend a lot. Shop a lot. Home make. Flit around having mock break downs), they imagine a fully made up, sexy, plastic surgery tanned blonde who always wears obvious designer labels. Well hunny, that ain’t me. I am the most feminine Tom Boy you will ever meet. I keep my skin absolutely natural, I always wear lipstick, my hair is always high to the Lord but, that’s the way the Lord intended it - no, I don’t get a daily blow out from a gay down at the salon and cackle about reality TV or who I know in TV. My life might not be what you would think it is. It is kooky and ordinary and humble and kinda extravagant but kinda scraping it all together and making do. 

Back to my meditation. 

I can’t remember one single day without make-up after the age of 12. I love the artful and subtle application of the stuff. Once the lipstick is on and mascara brushed through the lashes, I am ready for nuclear war, family death announcements, baby melt downs, food shopping, car scrapes, quickies, labour, new friends, parties, spur social engagement, school meetings, play dates, gardening, displays of love, pumping gas, cleaning, or doing CRP on my husband to keep him alive. I can face anything as long as my dark eye circles are concealed. We can just about handle it. 

That private, solitary moment with a cooling cup of cappuccino and my little bag of tricks is my own personal heaven and little time of reflection. A bit of time for me, and my own personal therapy session.

Everyone utilises little things to get through the day. Sometimes it won’t cut it, other times we feel like we don’t even need it. The key is, you do it everyday and it is habitual.

I related once to an interview with Dolly Parton. She once said that, her make up bag is always at her bedside table, and nothing will stop her wearing make-up, maybe even if her husband had a heart attack in the middle of the night. She‘d be tempted to apply the rouge first.

I am “the thinking man’s” bit of fluff. And now I say this because I am slightly artistic, and I always have something to say on absolutely anything. And I am not boring. And you will be entertained. I’m not loaded with diplomas, I don’t hold any fancy degrees, and I am no academic or brain box. But what I will give you as maybe a slightly unique or, at the very least, my heart felt view point. 

This is why you would find my pale limbs crossed lazily in a VIP booth, tiny boobs on display, hair a frazzle, after a dance, a certain slice of the male population paying me to listen and to talk too them. The pilots would pour in after a long red eye and they would end with needing a date. They probably asked a whole load of women out on dates, and a whole load of strippers, because, strippers seem wild and exciting, and I guess we are, in an obvious way. But it was the chit chat that hooked them and kept them coming back to yours truly.

I will not settle for pleasantries and I absolutely despise small talk. Don’t do it too me or I’m going to flip it round. I am a verbal jokester and I am either poking fun at myself or talking of life’s disparity. Whoever you are, firstly, I want to make this fun, and secondly - GIMME YOUR SOUL! I wanna know your soul. I want to know, what makes you tick. And I think anyone can tell when the person opposite genuinely wants to know, or is simply, passing the time.

x

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

like me, it’s sitting down whilst I can hear the kids play on a morning, with my trusty little make up bag set infront of me, slid out of her antique drawer - and putting my face on.

This used to be my meditation, too. I once had a lot of meditations. Whatever happened to them, I wonder? I guess life got too busy. How sad. And frustrating. Meditation should never be sidelined. 

We started watching a series called "Glow Up" on Netflix and I'm addicted. I love to see how skilled these people are with makeup. And what you can accomplish! Take the drag makeup, for example--people can literally transform their faces.

Makes me want to start wearing makeup again. God knows I need it these days lol! I'm not quite at drag queen level yet, but I can definitely use a boost here and there.

Trouble is, I never take the time to sit down and look at my face anymore. My mind is too crowded, in general. I think Where do I start? Then I am immediately overwhelmed by the idea of YouTube makeup tutorials. It's not like it used to be, half a page in a magazine. Now it's an overgrown jungle of information overload and product placement. Ugh.

So, about two weeks ago, I booked makeup at a local salon before we went to dinner. I thought it would be nice to have a professional makeup artist look at my face. And I would learn a few things from her. WELL, on the day of the appointment, she cancelled and the owner of the salon ended up doing my makeup instead. That was fine. But she was (admittedly) not as well-versed in makeup and clearly defaulted to her own makeup routine, but on my face. I walked out of there looking like Joan Plowright 😅 But hey! I learned a few new tricks 😄

22 hours ago, Jibralta said:

This used to be my meditation, too. I once had a lot of meditations. Whatever happened to them, I wonder? I guess life got too busy. How sad. And frustrating. Meditation should never be sidelined. 

We started watching a series called "Glow Up" on Netflix and I'm addicted. I love to see how skilled these people are with makeup. And what you can accomplish! Take the drag makeup, for example--people can literally transform their faces.

Makes me want to start wearing makeup again. God knows I need it these days lol! I'm not quite at drag queen level yet, but I can definitely use a boost here and there.

Trouble is, I never take the time to sit down and look at my face anymore. My mind is too crowded, in general. I think Where do I start? Then I am immediately overwhelmed by the idea of YouTube makeup tutorials. It's not like it used to be, half a page in a magazine. Now it's an overgrown jungle of information overload and product placement. Ugh.

So, about two weeks ago, I booked makeup at a local salon before we went to dinner. I thought it would be nice to have a professional makeup artist look at my face. And I would learn a few things from her. WELL, on the day of the appointment, she cancelled and the owner of the salon ended up doing my makeup instead. That was fine. But she was (admittedly) not as well-versed in makeup and clearly defaulted to her own makeup routine, but on my face. I walked out of there looking like Joan Plowright 😅 But hey! I learned a few new tricks 😄

Jibs,

I don’t know how you get by without any moment of relaxation or reflection - I think you actually do and maybe don’t realise it! Like writing in your journal here. 

I use shopping as a zone out, a thoughtless activity I can calm my restless mind on, force it to focus on one thing, and also as a mini adrenaline rush, but I know it’s totally destructive. People laugh about it and openly joke, but buying things to fill emotional voids is not good, especially when it becomes impulsive. 

And I totally get where you’re coming from with the “professional make-up” - I have never had this done in my life, not even on my wedding day, when women typically go in for that. I just think, you know your face the best, what look you want, how you like things. Some women’s faces can hold a lot of makeup, mine can’t. I prefer a kind of, glowing natural glam look. If I were to naturally edge towards a look, and embrace my own natural qualities, I would say my make-up aesthetic would be “English Rose” aka a little romantic, all about large eyes and Cupid bow lips, pale skin, blush and flushed cheeks, red or tinted lips. Definitely not a perfectly done look, or a bronzed look, no lip liner to be seen, or even an overtly sexy look. Quite an un-done kind of, outdoor windswept look. That is my natural way and I can’t fight it. There is no good fighting our natural look. You will have a natural look too Jib! I personally think the best make-up is make-up that emphasises and enhances your natural look and features.

I have always had dark circles under my eyes, from probably being 7 onwards. The way Elvis Presley or Jude Law does. It’s being a relentless night owl, but also having pale and thin skin, you can obviously see my blue veins through most of my skin. Anyway, I used to always apply layers of concealer to cover them. I can cover them if I want but, now I just sweep a light concealer over, add highlighter to cheekbone and lids and under my eyelash line and that does it. They are there still, if I were to be picky about myself. Maybe they make me look tired but I actually don’t think so. People comment that I look well and healthy. I think maybe they give my eyes a little broody look! I don’t mind that at all! I am, after all, a little broody and moody and turbulent and your eyes are the windows to your soul so, let them speak for you! 

If you have a bit of artistic flare, and know what you like about your features, you can make yourself up much better than the average make-up artist. Red carpet, Vogue vanity fair make-up artists are different, they are absolutely talents. But your average beauty school gal - sorry to say, they do, like you mentioned, just transfer what they think works generally or works for them, right onto your own face. 

I stopped wearing a full face of foundation about a decade ago. I used to wear false tan as well. What a losing battle that was! And I used to cover up my naturally rosy cheeks. I just embraced it all, the good and the bad and y’know what! I have never received more compliments since! 

It’s like going against the curl (I know you have them too!) I went through a year of flat ironing my hair. Just the worst thing. It’s a massive effort to keep it silky and straight all day, if you have proper wild, corkscrew curls like I think we do 🥹 I say, embrace it. On days it seems too thick, too wild, too much - I twist it up on top of my head and let tendrils fall out down my neck, or pin it loosely with pins, even the odd pretty clasp (I have a few vintage ones my mum passed down too me). It always gives the impression of being a very time consumingly done hair do but it has but took 5 minutes! That’s the thing I have found with curly thick hair is that, there is a lot to work with, and it’s romantic looking, with not much effort. You can get away with a lot! 

I’m sporting a heavy fringe at the moment, all curls and, I’m just content with the easy nature of it. A fringe is youthful, I think it frames large eyes, and takes years off women (I don’t know why there is such a back off when it comes to bangs!) but anyway, I am learning to embrace my little quirks. Even my body shape. I think everyone should. 

Hubby is quite short for a guy (five foot eight) and he says now and then, he wishes he were taller. But if he was taller, he wouldn’t have that stocky broadness I love about him, or his thick rugby player thighs. He wouldn’t have that cheeky element either, that seems to come hand in hand with a very boldly confident, short sales guy (think Jordon Belfort aka the real Wolf of Wallstreet) And, of course, I just love him so, being taller kinda wouldn’t be him! 

I also have a small gap inbetween my two front teeth. It’s never bothered me one bit. I often think, if it’s good enough for Madonna, well, it’s good enough for me! Plus, my Grandma who I so loved, her original teeth sported the same gap, and so did my Mum, in her youthful days, and it gave her a shy, cute look in her old photos. But hers closed naturally when her wisdom teeth came in. It feels like a lineage given too me from all the women on my mums side of the family. And my youngest daughter is sporting a gap just the same as me! In her baby teeth! So you never know. To get rid of it, or have it bonded by a dentist dealing in “perfection”, would be kind of saying my genetics are not good enough. I like the concept of something so obvious being passed down through the women!

If I come across black guys, weirdly in my life, they have mostly always complimented my smile. They shout, “Lucky smile!” Or “Money gap!” In African culture, a gap between the teeth is seen as very beautiful, and lucky. So those are all my daft reasons for embracing “flaws” 🥲😉😉😉

Plus, there was a big craze of gap toothed catwalk and editorial models about 5 years back, which crazily saw women getting them put in! Which is madness. But there ya go! Everyone has unique features. This is my main bone to pick with plastic surgery. There seems to be a facial template they work too, or people aspire for, and everyone ends up looking the same. Very bland.

Our “flaws” and “twists”, these things are what makes us “pop!” 

If you don’t wanna wear make-up as well Jib, I see no need to change. When you get away with being fresh faced, I would embrace that because I wish I could go out without my trusted lipstick! 

Here’s how entrenched I am in it all. The husband will put it on me, like these naughty men do(!) and I will be turning away whilst he’s embracing me and twisting round with a hand mirror applying some lipstick and he’ll say “Lo! Stop it! You look great!” And I laugh and have already re-applied and make some comment I am not going to repeat on here about I know it’s just going to come off *somewhere else* so I guess you’re right 🤣

It’s my little shield and cape and smoke and mirrors and I can’t do without! 

x

I started watching a You Tube channel called ‘Soft White Underbelly’ about a year back.

I’m attracted, if in a certain mood, to morbid, depressing tales of struggle. I don’t know why. D will look over my shoulder whilst I’m sat in a gone cold bath, phone propped on the rack, fixated, and say, “I don’t know why you watch that stuff.” Most of it is, totally, depressing. I’m riveted.

Interviews with pimps, hookers, drug addicts, hackers, drug dealers, prison officers, victims of abuse, murders - even a sex offender but I didn’t click on that.

I watched one this morning. An ex drug addict by the name of Brad. You realise how articulate these people are, how horrible and tragic some peoples upbringings are. I sit there, previously feelin’ sorry for myself, and realise I am in paradise heaven and have been my whole life, compared to some poor people.

Then there is a niggle in the back of my critical mind. It says, this person, who’s turning it all around from childhood abuse, trauma, addiction… they are doing this interview. I wonder. For what? I know the guy interviewing them helps them, financially after and also sets them up with therapists and other support. They receive fame from it in some way. I noticed Brad had a YouTube account and had thanked everyone. I clicked on his account and two videos there, without any comment, of him asking for money from people to help with dentures, a car, food, his dogs vet bills. I thought, God d**n it, I knew it! It’s a mercenary stunt. Maybe this sounds heartless of me. Everyone needs a break in life, or two or three. But the outright begging, the taking from strangers, when he already receives government help for housing and food and bills - makes you wonder. They easily give off a hard done by, ungrateful vibe that stops my sympathy going all the way.

There comes a time in someone’s life, maybe once they have children, or reach their 30s, where they can’t keep making excuses and blaming the past. They just can’t. We can’t. We have to take charge, to stop that cycle. Because I am sure his crazy horrible mother could cite the same things he does - that she was abused, turned to drugs, couldn’t handle having a baby, and therefore, we all say, poor you, you are forgiven. And he also has a daughter and hasn’t been in her life. The cycle and excuses repeat. And I do commend him for getting straight, but… something doesn’t sit right with so many of those interviews.

It is easy for me to sit here with my faculties and help and support and judge, I realise that. How would I have fared brought up in the same position? Maybe most likely I would be dead by now, if in his shoes. Who knows. But the public begging? I didn’t like it.

I still go back now and then to those interviews. Part of it is self indulgence. I think it makes me very grateful, for what I have, and how things are. I realise how lucky and amazing things really are. 

It is easy to get used to good things, to health, to things working out right. It’s easy when you are young and perky and full of energy. It’s easy when you sit in a big house and get what you want. It’s easy when your childhood had pretty much zero bumps. It’s easy to become spoilt. I watch those interviews, and suddenly I am flooded with thanks. Maybe I watch them for those selfish reasons.

They always haunt me though, the interviews. I find myself wondering what became of them? I always wish them better days, but I know it has to come from inside them; and not strangers giving them money in a Go Fund Me.

x

The kids are sleeping perfectly in the new house.

Their room is the only room that is absolutely fully done and finished. It’s a traditional, film kinda bedroom, the type of bedroom illustrated in Peter Pan. with the two wooden beds side by side on a chimney breast, bedside table with lamp in between, their current favourite teddies and little toys spilling out from a basket. A large oil painting of a ship on choppy, turquoise waters hangs above the beds. We are, after all, right be the ocean. 

In the alcoves beside each bed we had a lovely wall lamps put in. The silk shades are patterned with an abstract pale green and blue paisley print. On a night, they add a warm downcast light onto the bookcases below - one in each alcove, brimming with all their books, and teddies, and a few more baskets of trinkets and troves.

A traditional, upholstered rocking chair sits in the bay window, next to a large wooden dolls house which is my daughters. Then, across the wall facing the beds, from the old house, dominates a mahogany “gentleman’s wardrobe” which is really four antique cupboard spaces joined, with a middle section that has drawers that pull out. They were made for folded shirts, but are now filled with clear tubs of Lego, play people, mini figures, wooden toys, cars, puzzles. One side, my sons clothes hang, the other side, my daughters. A large, 6 foot giraffe plush stands in the corner at the end of the stretched wardrobe. It really is a traditional, cosy room.

On a night, in the warm glow of those lamps, their beds piled high with blankets and pin striped yellow eiderdowns, they snuggle in, milk in their cute little hands, and listen to the latest story - ‘The Faraway Tree’. For such little ones, the book has hardly any pictures, but they are beyond obsessed. It’s a whimsical, old land. It fits their heritage bedroom perfectly. They listen, hard, and I see their eyes are heavy. With moving about so much, getting settled and to bed has been a struggle for months. Since moving, they fall to sleep peacefully and never give me any bother.

From their bedroom, late at night, you can hear the ancient church bells dong and ring out, marking the hour, and half hours. A sleepy chime. 

It’s a peaceful, dreamy kind of house. We’re going to be happy here.

D joked a few days back, “Hey, we’ve never had a blow up since we moved here!”

I said “We’ve only been in a month. Give it time.”

Ha ha haaa!

x

1 minute ago, Jibralta said:

Sounds lovely!

Thanks Jib!

It’s peaceful and traditional and cosy - I’m so pleased with it, but best of all, the kids are really loving it so that makes me happy! 

I’m impatient for the rest to get sorted. I want everything yesterday!!!

x

I have always absolutely adored and admired Christopher Hitchings. 

What a charismatic talent and a writer he was. The feminists in this circle are all entranced by him and would jump into his bed! The points he made in 1994 were so fresh, and apply now more than ever.

He would definitely be on my top 10 “if you could have anyone as a dinner guest dead or alive” list. Hitch, I salute you, and wish you were still here.

I think I have read nearly everything he ever published, including most articles he wrote, especially whilst at Vanity Fair. 

x

I don’t know how you get by without any moment of relaxation or reflection - I think you actually do and maybe don’t realise it! Like writing in your journal here. 

I definitely do veg out, whether on here or (more recently) watching something on Netflix or Amazon. But these are empty pastimes. Empty gratification. They deplete my patience rather than restore.

I personally think the best make-up is make-up that emphasises and enhances your natural look and features.

I agree. When I do wear makeup, I prefer to apply it so that you question whether I'm wearing makeup at all. 

But there's a whole 'nother side of makeup that, to me, is like painting. When you get someone else to look at your face and sketch out what they see, I think there is great potential for it to be eye-opening (no pun intended!). I've had it done a handful of times for different occasions, all of which were when I was in my 20s (except for this last time).

I've walked away from most makeup sessions feeling like I can do it better (including this last time). BUT I also walk away seeing something different about my face. For example, I didn't realize that I could look like Joan Plowright lol. But this lady looked at my face and saw that. It's not my preferred style, but now have a new perspective on my face and the potential for a new approach to make up. I love that. And what's more, I need that. Especially now that my face is changing with middle age.

1 minute ago, Jibralta said:

I absolutely loved him and still miss him to this day. What a badass.

image.png

AWESOME. LEGEND! Bad boy of vanity fair! Awesome journalist and writer. Charismatic. Himself. Obviously so darn intelligent and witty! And that floppy posh boy hair! 

I loved one interview once where, he swept his falling fringe back, looked straight into the camera with a grin and said, “No Mrs Hitchings has to work while she shares my last name” or, something along those lines. What a bloomin’ charmer! Women dropping like flies all round him! 

He was a complete antidote and I never get bent out of shape when a celebrity dies but, I genuinely miss him so badly, just as I know you do Jib! 

x

It does well to remember - just because the media tell you everyone feels or thinks something, does not mean everyone is feeling or thinking it. 

The common people of England, meaning, the majority, are not royalists anymore. 

This media coverage has reminded me slightly of Princess Diana’s death.

If you ever want an alternative, or realistic opinion on the pulse of the UK - Christopher Hitchens was the man.

“There is another Britain, which was there before the Windsors and will be there after they've gone. This Britain is deceptively mild and understated, but it refuses to be impressed by mere spectacle or overwhelmed by gusts of fashion. It prides itself on not panicking. It is not cold or inhuman, which is why it is not swept away by demagogs, superstars or messiahs."

- Christopher Hitchens, ‘The Mourning After’

x

Luxury means so many different things to so many different people.

Luxury, to me, is walking up stone steps to a house, golden brown leaves scraping and dancing across the path on an autumn wind, opening your door to an already warm hall, lamps dimly lit, alight all the time you were gone, awaiting your arrival. And music, drifting through the rooms. Normally something by Stan Getz. To lay your keys on a beautiful antique console, to smell in musky, spiced potpourri resting in quaint dishes. To see flowers, full and blooming, in tall, dominating vases. All for nothing. You were out. Entertaining, mystifying, no one. Just awaiting the moment you opened that door. 

I set so many moods, because I am always in, at least every hour, a very definite mood of any given type.

I am either entertaining myself, entertaining someone else, or simply entertaining the idea of, entertaining.

x