Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Any Knitters Here

Silverbirch

Petite I love that hat!! So lovely

In my city, and in most places I have lived, there is usually always knitting group that knit hats/mitts/scarves for the homeless (I live in Canada, so winter is brutal for homeless people), and then donate them to a charity. I usually try to find the time to knit a few things to donate.

I really like the granny square/Ethiopia hospital thing is such a great idea.

here s my favorite scarf:

I made this years ago, it took a long time to make. I used fine merino wool and a variety of different stitches to keep it interesting (basketweave, cable, seed etc). I don't wear it much now because it is starting to fray a bit.

That's a beautiful scarf happy bear! I'm not usually too fond of darker blue but the red and grey compliment it so well.

Silver, get either the Tulip Etimo Rose (eBay is cheapest) or a Clover Amour. They are both really great, but not as expensive as the Furls for example, which I must admit are overrated in my opinion and not worth the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Petite!

Maybe you guys can help me, I bought this yarn in the winter that I love in order to make a scarf. Unfortunately, I didn't buy enough (I bought all the store had but it wasn't enough to make a long scarf). when I went back to get more, I found out that I had bought the last of the dye lot and it had been subsequently discontinued

The problem is that the wool alternates between thick and thin, and when you knit it, parts are thick and lumpy and others not. This is what it looks like knitted:

I can't imagine using this wool for anything other than a scarf. Hats and mitts would look really weird and lumpy I think. I hate to waste it, I just don't know what to do with it...Any thoughts?

It's lovely! I used a summer type yarn in those very colors years ago to knit a summer blouse. Could you use it as a contrast in a garment that has some of the same colors.

I think it's lovely that people knit for the homeless and those less fortunate - it's about more than just giving money. I know if I was the recipient, I would value the personal effort.

Just remembered something. I am certain I saw a video on Youtube a while back where African women were knitting and weaving nice bags from plastic supermarket plastic bags. I still have a gorgeous bag which somebody bought me which is made from used candy wrappers. It was quite expensive, but is an absolute work of art.

HappyBear, I would use it for either a cowl or a hat. Lovely colors! I don't usually like green yarn (I'm weird with colors lol) but this color combo looks nice.

Yes, Silver I've seen women crocheting with shopping bags too. Never tried it myself though, but they make some pretty cool things.

I love gifting handmade items. I know exactly who will appreciate it and I stick to that group of people for such gifts - and the rest I just buy. But most mothers love receiving handmade items, at least that's been my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petite, my son is almost 27. I have had to move house many times, and amongst my valuable items I always pack carefully are things he made for me as gifts when he was a child - I also have a synthetic topaz ring he bought me from the markets when he was 7. I have no doubt I will keep all of those things until I die - a ceramic hand-painted racing car and a blue cotton shopping bag with a picture of Elmo on it. I keep my underwear in it - because I know that way, it will stay good for years.

Archived