Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Any Knitters Here

Silverbirch

I used to love knitting but stopped several years ago due to probs with my wrists, but I really want to take it up again. I had just taught myself from a book, and only made simple garments. I had knitted a couple of dresses and knitted an entire baby layette when I was pregnant.

I would really like to knit myself some winter coats and have seen some nice patterns. Not sure if I can post this link with photos but will try.

Anyone else like to - what are your favourite yarns and styles. I really like wearing alpaca knits - very warm.

link removed

Not much of a knitter because I don't actually know how to make clothes but I do know the basics. (My grandmother was awesome at knitting.) However, I am very advanced and pretty awesome when it comes to crocheting. Yes, tooting my own horn, but some of my creations are pretty darn nice and people have offered to pay me $300-400 just to make blankets for them like the ones I made for my daughter using the yarn I used.

I'm actually working on a winter hat for myself right now which I'm excited to finish. In the last year I've made 5 blankets, 3 round rugs, shawls for myself and friends, several baby hats, mittens, many scarves and couple crochet earring sets.

I work with different types of yarn from cheap acrylic to expensive merino and cashmere. My favorite probably being cotton, merino, cashmere, mohair, acrylics and blends. I'm not into pure wool unless it's blended with silk or cashmere because even the luxury kind has an itchy feeling for me, lol.

It's kinda embarrassing to admit but I actually have about 8-10 big plastic tubs of yarn in my garage, never mind the stuff I've hidden in the guest bedroom closet! My husband thinks I have an obsession. I have a craft room where I have my sewing machines, jewellery beads, materials, yarn, probably over 60 crochet hooks, books, comfortable sofa (which my husband actually bought on a whim because he said it looked so comfortable and he knew it would be perfect for my craft room and could just imagine me sitting there enjoying my crocheting - I cried a little!) for my crocheting, a coffee table basically a crafters paradise, lol. I'm part of a crochet group and we have get together I've had people travel from different cities to attend our get-together here and I've gone to a neighboring city for a get together. It's all very fun and I love it. Just wish I had more time for my crafting.

Yarn is like crack for me. I get sale flyers in the mail and I tell myself "no more yarn, petite" then I think ohhh maybe this and this yarn is on sale and I should stock up because MAYBE it will be discontinued. It's horrible. The women in my crochet group are the same, we feed each others addictions. But, it is always nice that in case a yarn gets discontinues you have all these ladies that have your back and if you're working on a project and need a that yarn chances are someone in the group of 350 women has it, lol.

LOL. I've never learnt to crotchet, but I think it would be something I would like. The dresses I knitted were a blend of acrylic, mohair and cashmere, and people offered me money to knit for them as well, but I'm not fast at knitting, and they took weeks to make.

Part of wanting to knit again is to go join a knitters group. Through work a long time ago, I got to meet with a country womens spinning and knitting group. They had been meeting for 25 years and their group was very special. Reminds me of a movie I was saw. It was called something like "how to make an American quilt".

Oh I've seen that movie. You should look for local knitting groups in your area. You can even start one yourself and place notices on bulletin boards in town.

Yea blankets take weeks to make too, but if you want the extra cash it's definitely worth it if you enjoy the craft.

I find crocheting much easier than knitting, and I feel like cuter things can be made with crochet, while knitting is definitely nicer when it comes to sweaters and clothing.

I love knitting!!! I don't do anything complicated like sweaters, though I really should branch out. Mostly I do hats, mitts, scarves, occasionally socks but I find they always look weird because I tend to mess up the heel part

I want to learn how to crochet, I was going to start learning over the winter but never did, so maybe this coming winter.

I used to be in a knitters group on link removed, but not anymore.

There is this fantastic wool shop not far from my place, they have such a huge selection of wool, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there!

I'm fairly certain there would be a knitting group in the town I live in. Will have to check it out. Wonder if I could learn to crotchet??? LOL Happybear! A hat and socks sound way too complicated for me although I did make booties, but I did find that a bit hard.

Personally, I find crocheting easier because you only need to use one hook instead of two needles or more (I tried knitting socks with a bunch of needles big fail lol).

Try with something basic like a scarf, YouTube has sooooo many tutorials and beginner videos from doing the foundation chain (in knitting terms that would be the casting on) to making small things such as flowers and big like blankets.

I love going to yarn stores there is one on my way to the farmers market and I always have this urge to go inside and look around, as if I don't know what is in there. No more yarn for me, lol.

Don't go buying beginner books unless you can find them at second hand stores or something, because everything can be found on the Internet from stitches to how to do them and patterns. Revelry has thousands of patterns some paid but many, many free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Petite,

There are knitting/crotchet/stitch groups in this town and one nearby - they meet at a pub once a fortnight and usually have lunch there. Also, there is a spinners group which is said to be so good that some members travel 40kms to attend. Some of the ladies have their own sheep which they get their wool from. I wish my hands and wrists were better. I can't go just ATM as I am working 9-5 for at least a couple of weeks, but then I will go back working evenings, so will go along then. I will do as you suggest. I will start with knitting a scarf, and then see if any of the ladies will teach me to crotchet.

That group which meets at the pub for lunch is said to be very friendly, and that it is a great way to meet people. I especially like going to that town, just 17kms up the road.

I love knitting!!! I don't do anything complicated like sweaters, though I really should branch out. Mostly I do hats, mitts, scarves, occasionally socks but I find they always look weird because I tend to mess up the heel part

I want to learn how to crochet, I was going to start learning over the winter but never did, so maybe this coming winter.

I used to be in a knitters group on link removed, but not anymore.

There is this fantastic wool shop not far from my place, they have such a huge selection of wool, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there!

LOL Happybear. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Feel free to post any pics or links.

Hi Petite. You too. Photos most welcome.

Only a couple of weeks ago, I moved to a cooler region, and with it being winter, I ave now started buying nice woolen caps.sounds too complicated for me to make. Fingerless gloves and mittens are a must here too.

That sounds awesome, Silverbirch. Definitely go to the group get-togethers. It's so nice being part of a group because there are like minded people and they share patterns, introduce us to different yarns, hooks, and we learn different things etc. It's also nice to just have a hobby that you can enjoy and socialize at the same time. I don't get a chance to attend our meetings too often because I have the baby with me almost all the time and I can't justify getting a sitter just for 2 hours middle of the day (our group meets two days a week but always during the day) although I definitely attend the big gatherings we have as those are planned months in advance. Sometimes other ladies bring their kids if the get-togethers are on the weekend or if it's school holidays then I don't feel like I'm imposing if I bring my baby but it's not something I want to do all the time.

here are some beginner links for crochet:

In the sidebar there are other videos for beginners. This is called the foundation chain, you need a foundation chain for most projects, then learn the basics single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), half doubl crochet (hdc), slip stitch (sl st) Those are US terms. Commonwealth countries are a bit different. The best way to tell if a pattern is using US terminology (that's when you start to follow patterns though, is to see that it has a SC (single crochet) because in the AU terminology there is no SC. The stitch exist but it's under a different name.

US AU/NZ/UK

------------------------- --------------------------

chain(ch) chain(ch)

single crochet (sc) double crochet (dc)

double crochet (dc) treble (tr)

half double crochet (hdc) half treble (htr)

triple crochet (trc) double treble (dtr)

slip stitch (sl st) slip stitch (sl st) - sometimes slip knot

Here is a good link.

Also the basics of learning

Great videos on the basics

Possibly the best place on earth lol. Their cotton is divine also great value for money and awesome 200gr balls. Definitely cheaper when you compare the yardage and weight than what you can buy at big chain stores.

Here is a super easy pattern for a very cute scarf

Very easy blanket and once you learn the basics of fond a foundation chain and then a double crochet you can make this to cuddle up with on the couch

Traditional granny square you can make it as little or as big as you like. Small ones can be joined to make a big blanket or you can just crochet along and make a super big and cozy blanket

Lovely mittens

Another easy scarf

I used to knit and crochet until I realized I was such a lazy cow... it is a lot of work and hard on your hands and wrists so I eventually quit.

If you have trouble with your wrists, my roommate in college who was Scandanavian and of course needed LOTS of woolens at home in Sweden used to talk about her love of her knitting machine all the time. You can buy personal knitting machines if you want to take on larger items and save your wrists etc. (unless you are doing it because you enjoy the craft and take your time at it).

btw, I adore alpaca. I don't buy wool sweaters anymore and only wear cotton and alpaca... so soft and light and warm! I have a couple of alpaca throw blankets too, and give them as gifts and have received so many positive thanks for those blankets which people love to use as lap blankets when reading or watching TV, so they are great gifts. If the person you give them to has a cat though, they will have to fight the cat for the alpaca blanket because they adore alpaca to sleep on and will claim them as their own and sit on the blanket for hours purring and kneading it! Something about the alpaca texture is irresistible to cats...

There are ergonomic crochet hooks now and they are super light and easy on wrists and minimize pain. I can crochet for hours without pain, but when I used a plain metal hook my wrist and hands would hurt after an hour. I use Clover Amour hooks which are awesome, Tulip hooks (considered the rolls royce of crochet hooks LOL, all the ladies are using these hooks now) and I have some Furls which are nice and made to order, albeit expensive.

I kinda think that machines eliminate some of that fun and knitting/crocheting can be very therapeutic.

link removed

link removed

link removed

DIY

link removed

Thank you SO much for the links and advice Petite. Almost asleep now, but I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I will look at them and the demonstrations.

Lavenderdove (love your username), I could hardly believe how warm my alpaca cardi keeps me despite being so light. In the small town where I now live, lady who runs the produce store with her husband is selling lovely hand-knitted alpaca wool caps - patterns and I think wool too. I will take Petites advice though and look for free ones online.

LD, I used to know a young woman who knitted the most beautiful blankets. She used to use double yarn and large needles so they knitted up quickly.

Something I would love to knit and/or crotchet is dog sweaters. There is a group of lovely people who knit them for dog and cat rescues, especially for the very senior and sad dogs and cats. They won't sell the sweaters - they just make them with love for these pets. I will find their FB page and post. I think you will love their photos. Such sweet people!

I love all the links petite!

I REALLY want to knit a Christmas themed snowsuit for my dog--just for the silliness of it, and also so that I can use a pic of him wearing it for Christmas cards, hehe.

I will post a pic of my favorite scarf later today

Those are cute. I don't know if I could knit that stuff but probably might be able to crochet.

We don't have a dog now so no point even trying.

I do crochet for charity, baby blankets, hats, squares to be made into blankets for Ethiopia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the squares would be a great way for me to start. I get sent links to dog rescue film clips on FB all the time. Got one today which brought tears to my eyes - happy tears as well. The poor dog which looked like a shihtzu cross had been abandoned a year earlier when the owners moved and decided to just leave him behind. The poor dog had the most dreadful dreadlocks which the rescuers had shaven off. Poor dogs like that have to be shaven Dow so low that they have no fur at all to keep them warm for a while. I love the idea of a dog like that being pampered and having lovely warm coats.

Of course, I think the same about people and children especially in places like Ethiopia. I recall reading about women in some countries, including Ethiopia who had been shunned from their villages by their husbands after having prolapses following childbirth, and I read about humanitarian projects which helped them. We are so fortunate here.

Yep, we made squares for the Hamlin Fistula Hospital run by the wonderful Australian Doctor Dr. Catherine Hamlin. They accept crochet and knitted squares. They give the blankets to women that stay in the hospital following the surgery and also for them to take home. There is documentary about the hospital and the fistula operations, and you can see the blankets which the patients use. The women are forced to live in horrible conditions and small huts. Some lose their family and husbands because of it. anyone can make the squares and send them to Sydney for joining into blankets. They don't ask for expensive yarn just that it be a certain size, bright colors and acrylic yarn which is cheaper than all other yarns anyway.

The hat is beautiful Petite. Definitely the sort I would wear. When I last visited Melbourne, I found a store that sells nice angora blend caps and bought one, but they are not hand knitted.

You have motivated me to really want to learn. Spoke with doctor yesterdY about my carpal tunnel syndrome, and he hS told me a few things which I have been doing which have likely caused it to flare up, so I am expecting it to settle down somewhat soon.

I also met a lovely elderly lady in the town who works at the goodwill store and she crotchets regularly, and she had to give up knitting years ago. I will get a luxury type hook as you suggest. She told me she also puts a cork over the needle which she holds onto and that helps a lot.

I am sure I have seen that documentary. So sad for those women, but it's good to see that some of them are going back to their villages now. Definitely a very worthwhile organisation to knit or crotchet for. I will find out more. Thank you.

Archived