how to take this quote

redone

This is what I'd say if someone said that to me. I have said something close to this under similar circumstances.

"So what do you mean by 'really' nothing happened. What is there in that 'really' that you're not saying? And if it was so innocent then why are you being so closed-mouth about what happened and why on earth am I even standing here questioning your actions? So, let's start again and how about this time you come clean with me on what 'really' happened. Or maybe I'll just go ask the other people involved and do a bit of my own digging if you can't own up to what's going on. I'm not an idiot, you know."

Whatever is going on "really" is your key that something did happen. Otherwise you'd have gotten a statement like, "We were sitting here drinking coffee and talking and it got late..." People who have nothing to hide give you details that are plausible, they may be a little nervous because they know what it could look like, but they'll still communicate with you. That little phrase you got is a bit of misdirection that happens when someone is lying and they nearly let slip what went down. Dig deeper and grill them till they spill the beans. Then take a look at whether you 'really' want to be with someone you have to go all CSI on.

Archived