Was he interested or did I read him wrong?

malloryor

I received a message from a guy that I have little to no contact with on facebook the other day. Generally speaking, what does that mean, if a guy messages a girl he doesn't really talk to, on facebook?

This guy and I, both go to the same school, live on campus, and work on campus with the same organization. Aside from having one class with each other last semester, seeing each other at work related events, and the occasional smile, and wave of acknowledgement--with perhaps a few how are you's--are interactions are pretty non-existent. It's not that we ignore each other when we do see one another, its just that we don't really cross the same paths or run within the same social groups; so that minimizes our ability to talk.

With that being said, I was really surprised to see him message me on facebook. In his message he said "Hey! Long time no talk, how are you?" Which was weird, because like I said, we don't actually talk like that. Originally, I thought nothing of it, I figured maybe he was looking for a shift to be covered, but he wasn't. My friend told me, he was flirting with me. But, to me it didn't come accross that way, as he wasn't flirty in his message, nor very conversational. It was rather dry. It was like he messaged me with really no purpose. He didn't ask for a work or school related favor or question, he didn't flirt or overtly "hit on me", he simply asked how I was doing--but why care, we don't have that foundation of any relationship?

I did my best to keep the conversation going, and although he didn't respond with one word replies, his responses didn't leave much for me to build upon. So what's the deal guys?

Why do men do this? My friend seems to think he was interested. Her logic is that a guy doesn't bother messaging a girl--that he hardly speaks to--just by happen stance. I don't think he was looking for a bootycall because well we don't even talk and he wasn't particularly flirty. But I'm just at a lost. Do you think he's interested, and if so why did he let the conversation fizzle out and act uninterested?

Also, I asked him if he'd like to have lunch with me and he said sure but made a joke about the possibility of being trapped inside because of the snow storm--I thought he meant he'd be stuck working (we're RAs, so snow days usually require us staying put in our residential halls), he said no he meant the snow, I replied and he never responded back...as a result, because the conversation ended so abruptly, I didn't get a chance to set confirmation on lunch. It's been a couple of days, still no response from him.

What happened?

I really think that attempting to talk to him in person would have been the way to go rather than asking him out on Facebook - but being as it may - I would bring it up one more time. "Hey, the snow melted! Want to grab a pizza?" You will be able to figure out if he was just bored or just wants a chat buddy or cares to get to know you in 'real life'.

Also, don't think about 'how relationships start'. Take it for what it is. A guy messaged you. You chatted. It might turn into going for lunch. it might not. One step at a time. Don't think automatic boyfriend. If he doesn't follow through with you, move on.

People let things fizzle because they are busy doing other things when chatting on the internet.

The guy is probably interested in you, that's what it means. Don't jump to conclusions though. He'll probably invite you out to lunch or something to get to know each other, and then let things go from there. If he had wanted something from you like your copy of the homework or help with class he would have been more direct about it in his message.

Archived