Spring Time!!! Lets Get In Shape Thread!!!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I almost consider yoga a drug...after a good hit I forget what was bothering me at work. Probably the only thing keeping me sane lately...

Hehe. Yes. Yes it is. (Like a drug, I mean. I can't vouch for your sanity... or lack of! )

So...

Went for a run last night, then got busy with work. My conditioning out of 10...I'd give myself a solid 3.5, yes that's right, I can lift heavy things, do yoga, and I get winded after 10 blocks of running

This morning I am feeling the positive energy beginning to flow, woke up at 5:30am for yoga, realized I didn't have my car with me, so I bailed on that, drank a bunch of Yerba Matte and went to go weight lift. Really really good, weight lifting session, I'd use words like gorilla, convict, beast mode, jazzercise to describe my workout.

Going to do Yoga after work.

Hehe. Yes. Yes it is. (Like a drug, I mean. I can't vouch for your sanity... or lack of! )

It is hanging by a very thin line lately, and I would argue that baseline is insanity anyhow...

Never really did yoga....but gonna start doing a couple of Zumba classes during the week... every little bit helps!

You should try it, although it's not necessarily an "Ah ha" the first go around it's a combination of things that need to take place to really "get it." I went for awhile at my gym, and went through the motions, then I went to an actual studio and started to like it...the ambiance, the way they described it, it was also hot, I hated the heat...now I relish in it. The way they talk about how I should feel, what I should be doing, the mental aspect begins to transform your practice once you begin to get the basics and really release. At first I thought it was just kind of wishy washy feel good things to say, but it starts to make sense. Once I am back in the groove, I love to try to go to the edge of what feels comfortable, and everytime I go I challenge myself to hold a little longer, straighter, go further, etc. Before you know it, a few months down the line, you're doing things that most girls can't, and I was normally an incredible "tight" person with regards to flexibility.

I tell people... if you see me running... you might want to run, too. It means something is chasing me!

I'm not "allowed" to run because of a knee surgery, so I need to figure something else out for cardio.

Power Walking, Treadmill walking up an incline, swimming, hiking, rowing, elliptical, mountain bike, road bike, are all great alternatives!

Woohoo I worked out today. Now I really gotta work on a tan...going to the Keys in a month..thinking of using a self tanner. Anyone know of a good one? Thinking of Jergens Natural Glow? Heard it works good and looks natural and not orange....hmmmm..

I went body boarding in the ocean for 4 hours on Saturday and really felt my lack of conditioning..after 2 hours, I had trouble getting through the 7 foot swells...but regardless it felt like a summer day, and what better what to exercise then to just play in the ocean.

Sunday, I rested, my arms were completely destroyed from my two-a-day on Friday, Bodyboarding and swimming Saturday. Summer is kicking off early so I am starting to get motivated, I've already got a few compliments so that is just more fuel for the fire...

Lastly, I found a picture I took of myself a year ago, I was shocked how I let myself go during the relationship even though I considered myself active! Geeeeeeeeeez

I may post it up in a few weeks, along with an updated one to combat the embarrassment

Going to clean up my diet a little more, and possibly restrict some calories and see what happens.

Woohoo I worked out today. Now I really gotta work on a tan...going to the Keys in a month..thinking of using a self tanner. Anyone know of a good one? Thinking of Jergens Natural Glow? Heard it works good and looks natural and not orange....hmmmm..

Or go to a tanning salon, but many say it's not healthy... if you do it very lightly I prefer doing that instead of just burning for the first 3 weeks of summer (like I normally do) I think the slow approach is better.

Did 30 min on elliptical in morning and then a 40 minute walk in afternoon.

Need to keep up the momentum...

great! Do you watch TV or just music? I love/hate the elliptical, I have trouble staying on there more than 20 minutes, although I used to do it for 60+ minutes.

mhowe, when you say "home gym" what equipment do you have? I am jealous of people who have their own gyms at home, I live in an apartment with not much free space and I am short on budget so I cannot afford anything at the moment

By the way people lets not forget to keep our nutrition clean! The work out itself is not as important as nutrition is.

The above statement comes from a guy who has been keeping a clean nutrition for less than 2 months and has seen great results!

I have:

2 eliptical machines (one is newer and better --- had since spring)

a Nordic Flex Machine (I use for legs, chest and back)

a Flyer --- long strides different than eliptical

a stepper --- not stair master....cheaper version but it does what it needs to do

Free weight barbells: 5,8,10,12, 20 and 25

Bosu ball

Exercise ball

Exercise bands

And most importantly ---- a trainer!

Did a hot Yoga sculpt class last night... and yet again, I had to drop a knee several times mid class. The heat and random motions really wipe me out... I'm getting more definition and building up my conditioning slowly...

Tonight I'm thinking racquetball, PERHAPS weight lifting... although my upper body is shot, or just some cardio... we'll see. Going to a pool party on Friday, so gotta keep it trim this week

I have a TV in my home gym...but I find it easier to put iPod on and blast an album!

I prefer music over shows, only shows if its slow medium intensity cardio.

Hot yoga is ROUGH! I don’t know if I’d do it again lol

Big K-- sounds like you have lots of fun options for exercise. I’d love to go bodyboarding in March!

I want to chime in-- please don’t use tanning beds. It’s not worth wrecking your skin and risking cancer for. I had skin cancer removed last year and the biopsies and the resulting surgery were no fun at all.

mhowe, you have a nice set of equipment there!

I hope that my future wife will work out even after 40 or 50! Keep up the good work!

Had a bone denisty test a few years ago (post age 50)....I have bone denisity of 38 yr old woman!!!!

And sadly, the older you get, the more it takes to "stay" in the same place.

Yesterday was day 16 in a row for yoga. Definitely seeing an improvement in strength... need to work on further flexibility if I'm going to reach some of those more elusive poses. The amount of mental peace it brings is awesome.

Now to add in some additional strength and cardio... bleh. This is where I get stuck.

Yesterday was day 16 in a row for yoga. Definitely seeing an improvement in strength... need to work on further flexibility if I'm going to reach some of those more elusive poses. The amount of mental peace it brings is awesome.

Now to add in some additional strength and cardio... bleh. This is where I get stuck.

That is truly impressive!!!

As for myself, my friend called me right after work and told me to get my ass to the beach and he has a board for me... I obliged, and wow, it was simply amazing today. Swam for 2 hours, and all the work stress melted off. We met a girl from hawaii while surfing, my friend got her number although he thanked me for wingmaning I told her he's my surf advisor and she laughed. She has a roommate and some friends that would "love to join" us kayaking, so we'll see...

I was on such a roll, I went to the gym immediately after, my car was parked accross the street...first time I went to the beach gym...geezz.... it's a meat market. So much eye candy... anyhoo, amazing workout, I am completely spent...

considering lifting in the morning, and yoga at night, yoga at night for sure, we'll see if I can wake up!

Going to a pool party on Friday, so I can't do much before then but at least I'll feel good about myself being diligent, so far going with a former crush and a new friend that I met (I was hitting on her, but she likes girls )

Hot yoga is ROUGH! I don’t know if I’d do it again lol

Big K-- sounds like you have lots of fun options for exercise. I’d love to go bodyboarding in March!

I want to chime in-- please don’t use tanning beds. It’s not worth wrecking your skin and risking cancer for. I had skin cancer removed last year and the biopsies and the resulting surgery were no fun at all.

How did you get it? wow 28, very young to get it, sorry to hear about it? I always protect myself in the summer in the sunlight, but I sometimes like to build "a base" so that I don't get burned initially, I reckon the initial burn from the real sun is worse than the casual base built in a tanning bed... although this is just a "feeling" and by no means a professional nor researched opinion. Perhaps I should heed your warning.

Day 16, How long have you been doing it? I can't handle consecutive days right now, I am weight lifting and doing cardio, but I feel it so bad in a chataranga that my arms crap out and I drop to my knees. I want to get back into consecutive days...but it feels near impossible at the moment.

The mental peace... tell me about it... I go in one person, I walk out another person, I swear I want to just hug people, my instructor, front desk girl, random students...I wish more of my friends went with me.

Good workout today! Less than a month before my trip to Key West! So much to do!!

good job JA! Time to step it up

How did you get it? wow 28, very young to get it, sorry to hear about it? I always protect myself in the summer in the sunlight, but I sometimes like to build "a base" so that I don't get burned initially, I reckon the initial burn from the real sun is worse than the casual base built in a tanning bed... although this is just a "feeling" and by no means a professional nor researched opinion. Perhaps I should heed your warning.

I feel it’s my duty sometimes lol. There really is no such thing as a healthy base tan, and every time you burn, you up your risk of cancer. Just not worth it, imo. My Mom laid out in the sun whenever she could, and now she has to use topical chemotherapy to destroy cells that keep coming back.

Anyways, on a happier note, your day sounded absolutely ideal! I am jealous I cannot wait for the summer. My husband and I are finally going to learn to surf and at the very least, we’ll be out on our bodyboards.

I feel it’s my duty sometimes lol. There really is no such thing as a healthy base tan, and every time you burn, you up your risk of cancer. Just not worth it, imo. My Mom laid out in the sun whenever she could, and now she has to use topical chemotherapy to destroy cells that keep coming back.

Anyways, on a happier note, your day sounded absolutely ideal! I am jealous I cannot wait for the summer. My husband and I are finally going to learn to surf and at the very least, we’ll be out on our bodyboards.

Alright so I'll lay off the GTL and stick to the GYL. (Yoga

It was quite lovely!! I don't know what's going on, my friend said i ts the fact that full moon is coming... People are just ON EDGE, everyone coming into work has an attitude and has been riding me. So just laying in the water...pretending it's summer, head up, man it's just what the doctor ordered.

I woke up for the gym at 5:30am, but I was so relaxed and felt like I could sleep still I said I'll just sleep in and continue to adjust to the time change. Yoga tonight then dinner with a friend, she wanted to go eat bar food, I said I'm on a health kick, so we're going to go to a healthy restaurant instead.

I hated Hot yoga...now I love it, it wipes me out so much it's almost like survival training. I recall last year going to a party in the desert and everyone was nearly passing out while I was comfortably dancing and having a good time wondering what people are complaining about. "Come on, it's just 105F"

Here is a pic while driving to the beach

Archived