Can't get rid of my belly!!!

oitnb

Over the past six months I've lost 30 lbs.

I've went from 154 ish (maybe even more, I was so large I wasn't weighing myself) to 124 lbs. I'm 5'1 ft.

My legs have thinned out, I've lost some of my booty (unfortunately) my arms and breasts have gotten smaller too. But my dang belly just WONT go away!

124 is actually a healthy weight for my height and body frame (curvy hips, larger butt and thicker legs) but it seems now that the extra "weight" is ALL in my belly.

My basic exercise routine is 30 Mins of cardio, weighted leg exercises (leg press, squats ect) arm chest and back work, and then ab work (sit-ups with and without weights, crunches ect). I rotate which body parts I'm working each day, one day legs and gluteus, next day arms back and shoulders, next day abs.

I don't want to push myself and hurt my abs, but it seems no Matter how hard I work them they just... Stay the same.

I eat pretty healthy, tho I tend to eat one big meal a day and that's it. (Unless I'm working out, then I also drink a protien shake after) I'm trying to work on eating more small meals throughout the day, but it's just not the way my appetite works.

I'm about the same height and build as you, and have had similar issues. I think what's really stopping you here though is eating one big meal a day. No matter how healthy the food is and how much you exercise, if you continue to eat past the point of not feeling hungry any more, your belly expands. Try eating smaller meals and/or snacks throughout the day, and I think it'll really help. Start with a small breakfast, stop eating when you aren't hungry anymore, and you should see a difference.

What does your "Big meal" consist of? Sometimes you will surprise yourself just how much you eat...

The other thing is...it's genetics and not spot reducing. You can do all the crunches in the world, but due to the way genes you hold most of your fat around your belly (to protect your organs.)

You don't need to worry about weight loss anymore at 124, but rather body composition. Write out your diet, and I can give some advice.

In the past 6 months, are you still using the same machines? It may be time to switch everything up. Sounds like you may be in a plateau.

And most importantly, Congrats on the 30 lbs in 6 months!!! Really great!!

Stay motivated, and now is the hard part...

As far as meal timing, frequency, and size... this has been discussed on diet forums and starts firestorms more than religious talk sometimes. Basically if all things are equal... if you eat 2000 calories, the same calories, you shouldn't necessarily see big difference in body composition regardless of when you eat it... Google Intermittent Fasting, and you'll find all the Pros and cons.

The difference becomes whether its optimal for performance...and the biggest thing perhaps is stretching the lining of the stomach which will decrease the feeling of satiety.

But without getting very technical, I'd just start with seeing what your routine is, what it has been, and what your diet actually looks like.

Eating 1 large meal a day is probably contributing to your problem and I'll explain why.

You need to eat in a manner that makes it so you don't have blood sugar spikes. Blood sugar spikes are not good for you and can ultimately lead to weight gain, in addition to making you feel like crap. Eating one huge meal makes it so that your blood sugar is probably really high afterward but since you don't eat much during the day, it's low during the other times. You don't want low valleys and high peaks with blood sugar. Keep it stable.

You don't have to eat multiple small meals. I don't actually, I eat 3 meals a day and one snack (sometimes not even 1 snack, depends on how I feel) but you may find that several small, healthy meals will work you for you. But definitely get away from the "1 large meal a day" habit. Just be careful not to graze all day. Grazing leads to weight gain because you end up eating a lot more than you expect.

What do you mean by body composition?

Body Composition related to body fat and muscle mass... Increase muscle mass, decrease body fat, and your weight probably won't change by much

I'm essentially saying, don't worry about the scale much anymore, but rather by either body fat measurements, circumference, clothes fitting, or the mirror

Body Composition related to body fat and muscle mass... Increase muscle mass, decrease body fat, and your weight probably won't change by much

I'm essentially saying, don't worry about the scale much anymore, but rather by either body fat measurements, circumference, clothes fitting, or the mirror

Ohhhh, alright. I'm not good with technical terms lol!!

I'm not so worried about weight anymore. Just want a flat smooth belly.

Ab workouts won't help you lose your belly any more than any other muscle group work outs. You won't be able to see your abs unless you have a lower bad fat percentage. Working out muscles will help you in that it will speed up your metabolism and the amount of calories you normally burn even while resting. I agree with others, it is probably your diet. You should probably eat more small meals a day so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and store fat. Maybe consider going to a nutritionist? Protein shakes probably won't help you lose weight either and since it doesn't sound like you are doing heavy lifting you probably don't need the extra protein for muscle recovery.

Look into Tabata training. You may need more of an anaerobic as opposed to aerobic regiment.

A big belly could be a sign of adrenal fatigue and some exercise exacerbates the problem because exercise is stress to the adrenals; and it will pump out oceans of cortisol, which settles as fat around the visceral organs in the belly.

You must eat more than one meal a day or the body will stay in storage mode. You have to get out of sugar burning and into fat burning--which means you cannot consume any sugar because it takes 3 days to shift from burning sugar to burning fat. Eat protein mainly in the morning and make that your biggest meal. Dinner should be salads and vegetables so that heavy food isn't sitting in your stomach when you go to sleep.

My appetite worked like yours, too... and I was up near 260 lbs before I made a lifestyle choice in how I fed myself. I've lost and kept off over 30+ lbs over the course of the last 2 1/2 years and have lost about 3 dress sizes. But you have to fuel the body in order for it to function properly. When you don't feed yourself, you go into starvation-survival mode and the body will slow down the metabolism and store everything in the mid section.

Eat. It only takes 30 days to change a habit. By the end of March, you can make a big change for which your body and health will thank you.

In the meantime, look up Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube.

Archived