"No pain no gain" related question

Batya33

For those of you who exercise regularly, how do you achieve the proper balance between working out hard enough and not too hard? For example do you assume you need to push yourself/cheer yourself on to reach your maximum potential or do you have a more instinctive sense of how much is enough to get the results you want? Is it a natural balance to you or do you find you constantly have to tinker with what works for you as far as enough motivation, enough discipline, enough effort?

I'm more of a tinkerer and sometimes need strategies to get myself motivated. I usually don't need strategies to get through what I planned to do that day but sometimes I need the cheering on. Sometimes I think I work myself too hard or exercise when it might not be the most healthy but nothing extreme. A bit less than half the time it's pretty much routine like brushing my teeth.

Curious as to whether this is an issue for anyone else and how you approach it if it is.

Always do as much as feels difficult without being dangerous. Be sure to always use proper form. Many people don't even know what proper form is in many cases, especially with weights. Always use a spotter when handling difficult weights/exercises.

Follow those and the rest will take care of itself. If you are uncertain about something your doing, ask the gym staff, that's why they are there.

Yes I agree. I don't work out at a gym and have not for over 5 years. I've been exercising regularly since spring 1981. For me the issue is whether I'm pushing myself too hard from a cardio perspective or being too hard on myself on days when I'm under the weather as far as whether to do my cardio. I think I have reasonable boundaries most of the time but I have times of internal conflict. I'm sure many do!

Well, I learned a long time ago that when it comes to working out and exercise slow and steady increase of whatever it is you're doing is far, far better than worrying about intensity etc. For example whenever I start some new exercise or activity I'll focus on 15 to 25 minutes going slowly and making sure my form and how I'm doing something is correct. I don't try to keep up with the rest of the class or the DVD. Once I've conquered that I'll increase time and intensity. You can wear a heart monitor if that helps and many treadmills and exercise bikes also have them to help you stay in a good zone without over or underdoing things. Recently I've been doing high-intensity interval training (HIIT) in my various workouts and find that gets better results faster. It also saves me from overdoing it and then not being able to exercise for awhile, because I pulled something. You can find a number of apps and/or videos on how to incorporate this into your exercise. I also find it keeps me from getting bored since I have to focus a lot more closely on what I'm doing than just mindlessly zoning out on the treadmill.

Oh and because music helps I have one playlist on my iPod that use to sort of give me cues as to when to slow down and when to speed up and how long to go. I've gotten it down to a pretty good timing--"Let's see, today I'll do half a P!nk album and then cool down to 2 of Adele's slower songs." Using music to judge my time by helps keep me focused on completing the routine while not overdoing things. Another good rule of thumb is if I find my mind wandering and I'm not breaking sweat then I know I need to up the intensity or duration of the workout. Conversely if I'm gasping for air and having trouble breathing then I know I need to slow things down a bit.

Periodization and overload.

People and exercise have so many fallacies, they "feel bad" if they don't work out even they have a cold or the flu...get the F$#* out of the gym and stay home and relax.

But when you're exercising and you're serious about it, push yourself. The best way to first measure your performance someway. If it's running its easy, distance + time. Then increase the time slowly, after you have come to a good time, increase the intensity. Run for 30 minutes, but try to get a little further every time.

Cross training is great. Sounds like your exercise is very routine and you should try to go out of your comfort zone. Our bodies are incredibly adaptable, and if you've been doing similar stuff for years, it's not doing much for you. I know you don't go to the gym, but I like to use this analogy...if you ever went for over a year plus, you will notice the "regulars" have their daily routine, good on them, but they often never change a thing about their body.

Perhaps ask yourself what are you seeking to gain? If you are just looking to maintain a certain degree of overall fitness, then it should be about pleasure. If you are sick, you need to rest. If you feel the urge, push harder, if not take it easier. Listen to your body. You have the right balance when you feel good afterward. A sense of well being.

My purposes are to maintain my weight, to maintain my mental health and to do what I can not to have another stroke (had a minor one if you can call it that 5 years ago likely related to having been pregnant 2 weeks earlier). I don't go to a gym and if I use the treadmill in the work out room when I have a cold I wipe down with alcohol right after. I really like the "sense of well being" test -that really resonates with me- thank you!

I am not looking to increase the intensity since I get plenty of exercise otherwise, every single day, taking care of my young child. The 30 minute cardio work out is sort of my added insurance policy and I do it every single day and rarely skip a day -almost never. Sometimes there are days when I feel it was a mistake to push myself so obviously I don't have the perfect balance. Listening to my body sometimes conflicts with my sense of discipline and not wanting to skip a day.

Archived