depressed. someone help!

scorpion666

Hey guys,

I need your advice. So I'm 26 and have no formal qualifications in anything apart from security guard jobs which are pretty hard to come by, where I live. I live in a small city that doesn't have a lot of opportunities. I have been applying for jobs everyday for any type of work and am constantly getting rejected. I've been unemployed for nearly a year now and I'm starting to feel it.

What makes it hard for me to get employment as well is because I'm heavily tattooed and have many visible tattoos that I cannot conceal. But I always do my best to cover them in interviews and to look my best. I also feel this is preventing me from getting work. And please don't tell me to get laser removal because I don't want to. They are a big part of who I am.

So I'm stuck at home every day applying for jobs and getting nowhere. I'm considering moving to another city to try my luck there but my mom isn't too thrilled about the idea. I still live with her and have a very close relationship with her. So this is playing on my mind also. But I feel like I might have a better chance somewhere else that has more opportunities and for me to grow as a person.

I really don't know what to do. I am so depressed and have had enough of everything. I have no passion for any sort of career, and not much interests me work wise. I see work as something to do to bring me money. I don't have a high school degree or anything and there's not many courses out there that I am interested in. And at 26 time is passing me by and I just want to be in full time employment rather then studying.

Any suggestions ?

One thing that would definitely help you get more job offers is getting your GED. That way you'll at least have high school done with and employers will be far more likely to hire you. After that you also are clear to take additional courses or go to a trade school if your employer wants you to further your education.

I completely understand your wanting to get away and get a fresh start, but also remember that living on your own is very expensive. Perhaps you can job search outside of your town while at home and once you have something promising lined up you can leave. I'd hesitate to just leave without any promise of an opportunity or anything though.

Best of luck!

Sounds like you need to get into skilled trade. Start at bottom, apprentice of sorts and learn. However, nobody is going to invest in teaching you unless you show enthusiasm for it. Plenty of trades where you don't necessarily have to go to school and can learn on the job and make good money if you get good at it. If you like to drive, consider getting a cdl license. There is always work for that of all sorts.

And please don't tell me to get laser removal because I don't want to. They are a big part of who I am.

So I'm stuck at home every day applying for jobs and getting nowhere. I'm considering moving to another city to try my luck there but my mom isn't too thrilled about the idea. I still live with her and have a very close relationship with her.

If you honestly think it is because of the tattoos that you can't get a job, then it is yourself that is stopping you. I am in no way against meaningful tattoos, I admire them a lot. But if they are on places on your body that make it an obstacle for you to get work then there is no getting past that. My Dad had to have a very meaningful tattoo removed from his arm when he was your age and I was just a toddler. He did this to get a better job because although the tattoo was meaningful, and a part of who he was - I was worth way more to him. I know you don't have children, but the point is that there is more to life than having illustrations on you depicting who you are. I don't like the fact that tattoo's are still discriminated against anymore than you do, but it is society still - hopefully one day things will change and people will stop being judged for what they look like when they have brilliant skills behind things like tattoos.

I think any other advice I would give has already been said by DancingFool and tkyjohnson. You may not want to do this, or want to do that. But it sounds like the decisions you have made in the past have come back to you now. High school needs to be finished, and perhaps some extra qualifications that can be achieved at night school such as extra computer skills can give you a better chance. There's also plenty of online diplomas you can get online, as long as you put the work in in your free time.

Thanks for the replies!

I really don't want to go back and finish year 12, I'll be 28 when I'm done and for me that's really old to be studying for just a high school certificate And be without a job for longer.

And there's no work that interests me in trades. Not to mention where I live after 25 you can't get apprenticeships because they consider you too old.

You might also be 28 (or older) before you get another good job opportunity again. "I don't want this", "I don't want that". If you are depressed, then you are not helping yourself out at all - you are simply continuing to base your life on a traditional, common structure where you don't believe after a certain age you deserve education. If you want to do the best for yourself then furthering your education is a good way forward. Just because you think you'll be "too old" isn't a good enough reason to pass up better opportunities for yourself

Thanks for the replies!

I really don't want to go back and finish year 12, I'll be 28 when I'm done and for me that's really old to be studying for just a high school certificate And be without a job for longer.

And there's no work that interests me in trades. Not to mention where I live after 25 you can't get apprenticeships because they consider you too old.

Well, if you don't want to be educated and don't want to do any trade skill work, then your options are unemployed and unemployed. Final option is build a business of some kind. Nobody can really help you unless you figure out something that at least remotely interests you. Until you figure out that, you have no starting point. You might want to get checked for depression too. Might be a source of your total lack of interest in anything and feeling like you are in grey fog.

Archived