Hello everyone. I do not know if I am posting this on the right forum. My roommate complained of my snoring, and it is actually the third time she had. She snores too, louder than I do (I think), but I would never complain about things beyond your control. So trivial. I lose sleep though because of it.

Any suggestions to control snoring? I am a smoker and an occasional drinker, weigh 168 and 5'5. I know I need to get started losing weight.

It doesn't matter if it's out of your control, lol... You're preventing her from getting a good night's sleep.

Case in point when sleep on a daily basis is effected it's NOT trivial.

If it were, you wouldn't be losing sleep over it yourself.

There are a few things you can do to stop or @ least minimize your snoring, though:

1. Don't sleep on your back.

2. Make sure the air in the room is fresh, not with perfume, but AIR & dust, clean sheets (wash them @ least 1x/week) etc.

3. Put Vick's up your nose before bedtime.

You've got the right idea by losing weight.

168 @ your height is a little hefty & it definitely contributes to snoring.

Complain about her snoring, then ask her what she plans to do about it. Then, just do whatever she does. In other words, make it her her problem to solve. You're not doing either of you a favor and you're screwing yourself by not complaint about her snoring like she does about yours. You didn't go looking for this fight, she brought it to you - now you have to show up to the gun fight with a gun.

I would never complain about things beyond your control. So trivial. I lose sleep though because of it.

I understand how you feel... you certainly aren't doing it on purpose... but to a certain extent, you can get control over the issue. Much more than your roommate anyways... and lack of sleep is not really an issue you can sweep under the rug. It will catch up to both of you...

The very first thing I would do - especially if you are losing sleep over it - is consult your doctor. You may have sleep apnea. You should really check that out because sleep apnea can lead to all sorts of issues including increased risk of heart problems, liver problems, attention problems, mood problems, etc. Your doctor may wish to send you to a sleep clinic so that they can analyze your snoring. Treatment usually involves sleeping with a machine that helps you breath better and not wake yourself up from snoring!

As someone who once dated someone with sleep apnea - that machine is a DREAM! It was waaaaaay easier to sleep next to him with that machine and HE felt SO much more rested in the morning as well. It feels awkward at first - no question - but SOOOO worth it!

If that's not the issue, there are also some appliances that you can get (like a retainer) that you put in your mouth that you can sleep with, nose strips (although I've never known those to work), working out/losing weight would help, sometimes the doctor can snip that little "thing" in the back of your throat which helps as well, etc.

But - if you are waking up a person in the other room - and more so - waking yourself up - I would definitely start with your doctor.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about - and it's certainly not personal - but if not for your roommate, it is worth checking out for yourself.

Oh thanks everyone. I do not have a problem with chronic complainers, except when I wake up in the wrong side of the bed. There really are people like that. My roommate is someone I love dearly, so Ill have to look the other way.

I definitely will consider the machine thing. My so-called boyfriend says I snore normal, but then again, it is a matter of opinion and still needs to be corrected. I have actually read a lot about it and am willing to go through it - the machine use that is.

*Sigh* it isn't a nice problem to have though...

So you snore. It's not an insult, it's just a fact. No reason to take offense. Besides, most people do to one degree or another. However, being aware is important and if it's so extreme that you don't get rest yourself, definitely need to seek help. It can affect your personal health.

As for how loud.....of course it's a matter of tolerance. Some people will wake up if you drop a pin screaming what was that huge noise and some people can sleep through just about anything without problem. However, if you are not getting proper sleep and neither is your roommate, you are both going to end up cranky, angry, emotional and getting on each others last nerve. Lack of sleep does that.

You got a lot of great suggestions for working on your own snoring. See a doctor. Lose weight. Stop smoking. Use nose strips, or if it is sleep apnea, use the machine. Do what they recommend you do.

Can you and the room mate switch up where you sleep so you are further apart in the home? Use white nose or ear plugs if this is just how it is ?

Truth be told, I miss hearing someone snoring beside me. I find it rather relaxing. It's probably conditioning from when I was young, and my dads snoring reassured me he was there.

It truly is conditioning... I had a bf that was capable of snoring on all sides!

I would leave and find a couch somewhere in the house. My new bf snores occasionally... and I have learned to sleep through it....and don't get me wrong. Love love love rights alone where it is quiet and dark....but find I miss him! Noise and all!

She snores too, louder than I do (I think), but I would never complain about things beyond your control. So trivial.

I can't stand snoring. I couldn't live with someone who snores, and I've moved to get away from a neighbour I could hear through the walls.

The fact that you don't complain about her snoring is irrelevant - you're keeping her up.

I lose sleep though because of it.

Really? If she's keeping you up, how can it be trivial.

Any suggestions to control snoring?

Your bf's comment suggest your snoring isn't the kind that requires visiting a clinic just a roommate who's a heavier sleeper.

One simple thing I'd suggest is using Vicks Inhalers before going to sleep - it might be all you need to open your airways.

Other solutions include staying over more at your bf's, playing white noise, and putting in for a room tsf for next semester.

I am a smoker and an occasional drinker, weigh 168 and 5'5.

I suspect the smoking is contributing more than your weight.

I won't be forgiving with this because I've lost many hours of sleep due to people snoring, I do not make a single sound when I sleep.

Solution? Get your own room or find someone who doesn't snore! Theres no way around this unless you buy a $2000 machine which you put over your mouth.

• 1 month later...

I have a CPAP and it cost me more than I'm comfortable talking about. Honestly, I sort of hate the thing but it works. I feel like I'm Darth Vader when I wear it. Have you considered using link removed? Not sure how it'd work out, but it's definitely an alternative.

Archived