Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you giving up for lent?

zentoCC

I'm not religious but I always try and give something up for lent. The last few years it's been pasta, but as I don't eat that so much anymore I was going to try giving up bread. I'm addicted to bread, as I used to be to pasta, so if I give it up for lent I'm hoping it will help me learn I can live without it and cut down the rest of the year. I've already tried cutting down to prepare myself.

Do you guys give up anything for lent? What do you give up if you do?

Staying out of the religion part. Good excuse to focus on something.

In the past, I have given up using curse words. This time, I think I will give up all white sugar/sweets. Still thinking on it. A little scared of making such a big commitment. I found a brownie recipe I can make that is REALLY good, and it has no flour and no white sugar. If those brownies can be eaten under these terms, then I might make it through.

Conclusion: No sweets, modified to permit one sweet per weekend, if any. Modification courtesy of my daughter, who wanted to make sure I could still share celebration time with home made cookies or ice cream. A sweet modification for a time of no sweets.

I'm of that religion associated with lent by birth and all, but I don't follow it anymore. Even so, I'm not sure what I could give up. Already gave up soda 7 years ago, gave up some other things last summer. I think I prefer making my own changes instead of waiting for a certain date. It feels more real to take it on my own terms. But I agree, I think this topic is venturing in the gray area and is unnecessary.

Archived