Travel Conflict

trumpetier

Hi there, long time lurker!

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little more than two years, and are both 20 years old in university. We have been talking about going on a trip to see my grandparents who are about 5 hours flight away. We were supposed to go last year, but his family went on a trip and that used up his vacation time for work. My grandparents are in their mid-90s, and I'm very conscious of the fact that they don't have a lot of time left.

Now we have the opportunity again to go this summer, and yet again a trip is starting to be planned by his family but nothing is set in stone yet. If he was to go with them it would use up his vacation time again for work, and a weekend trip wouldn't be worth the cost of a ticket. I would really like for my boyfriend to meet my grandparents while they're still here, but I understand that he would be going to an exciting place and all that (some countries in Europe I feel a little sad about the situation, and I'm also not sure how to approach it. Any advice?

I think you need to realize that to you, they are beloved grandparents and you are their beloved granddaughter. Your bf and them....meaningless strangers. There is nothing that either they or your bf get out of this meeting. It's only a feel good in your own personal head. Focus on what is actually important - YOU spending some quality time with them before it's too late. You should not be waiting on your bf for that or you might wait yourself into a lifetime of regret. Make your plans to see your grandparents. Your bf is just a bf, he is not your husband, he is not your fiance. There is no need for him to go.

Archived