Loving Yourself

It is strange to say this, but for most of my life I never loved myself. Even in my relationship with my ex I never loved myself. I was so preoccupied with making her happy that I completely forgot to remember the most important relationship you will ever have is with yourself. I was worrying that my ex was moving on with a better catch than I ever was to her. I thought this new guy was a better lover, funnier, caring, more compassionate, happier, and so on. I then realized none of that matters because I am more than good enough for someone. I am god damn more than good enough. I am a great guy whether or not someone believes so. I'm not completely healed, and I am still learning to love myself daily, but someday I will completely. And when that day comes, I know I will find a new partner that I will love passionately, but for the moment I need to love myself with utter devotion. We are all good enough.

Yes! I am a lot like you and I did the same thing in my last relationship.

What you describe - putting people's needs before yours - is technically codependent. I know because I did the same thing. I am learning how not to do that.

Anyway, someone posted this link before and I think it's relevant here: link removed

Archived