Dads been given 12-18months - Glioblastoma Multiforme

MissLHR

My dad was diagnosed with a Glioblastoma Multiforme tumour on the 15th of January this year.

This is a highly aggressive type of brain cancer and the average life expectancy is only 12-18months with treatment.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has had someone they know have this type of brain tumour and can share their stories with me.

If you read through my previous posts you'll see that my boyfriend of 6 years cheated on me and our relationship ended only 5 months ago, and now I am dealing with this news about my dad.

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.

My sister had the same thing. According to what we googled, we also saw life expectancy of 12-18 with treatment. My sister underwent an 8 hour operation to remove the tumour. From date of diagnosis to date of death was exactly 2 months. It was (still is) totally surreal and we still find ourselves asking "what happened?"

Has your dad had any treatment yet?

This is such an awful diagnosis for any family to receive.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister and wish you had more time with her..

Dad had surgery to remove what they could of his tumour.

He is now in his 4th week of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. He is handling it all pretty well.

It's so hard because the doctors keep telling us it is so aggressive and so unpredictable..I want to stay positive and hope he is one of the ones who beats the statistics but I also don't want to live with my head in the sand and think he's going to be around forever.

It's heart breaking...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You are so young....so i imagine your dad is too! You sound so mature for 22, I'm sure you will be a great comfort to your dad. Chemo can make you so sick....sometimes you wonder if it's worth the trouble. I've known people with an aggressive cancer (not what your dad has) and they said they wanted to live the last of their life NOT SICK, so they opted not to have chemo and radiation.

But i also understand fighting it to the end. My dad just died 2 years ago this april, and even tho he was 79, he fought tooth and nail to keep on living!

It's such a double whammy! My fiance had cheated on me and dumped me the April before.

Somehow we get thru.... you just sometimes wonder...why??? ((hugs))

Thanks so much for your response,

Any form of cancer is awful and unfortunately it is so much more prevalent these days.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad

Dad is coping well at the moment with chemo and has had no side effects as of yet.

His motto from day one has been "whatever it takes" so I know he will fight this till the end as well.

I have definitely had days where I just think why me!! But then feel super selfish so I snap out of it pretty quick.

It's really hard losing a huge comfort in your life like a partner and then going through something as difficult and heart breaking as the thought of losing your dad as well. I find it very overwhelming but like you said..you just keep going! Xx

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, but we have had cancer in the family and I just wanted to say I'm so sorry. It's such an awful thing to have to deal with and it always feels so unfair. Stay strong for your dad and vent to someone who's not involved. It's how I coped. Sending hugs your way x

Big hugs. I have several family members who were diagnosed with cancer and they lived longer than the doctor's prediction due to good medical care. I hope you and your dad have more time together and can enjoy life. I'm very sorry, you are in my thoughts.

Thanks,

Having people on here who can relate to both the cancer and losing a big comfort person so close to each other has helped a lot. I like to think I am a strong person it's just been unbelievably hard having this bombshell drop and having no partner to turn to for comfort.

I appreciate your reply anyway, thanks

Archived