Atrractive but unemployed

seany82

This is a question to the women here on this board.

Say you met a guy, he's tall, attractive, physically fit, neat and clean, decent personality, sweet, charming, intelligent, decent size penis, good lover (i.e. attentive, giving, open, etc.). But he has one major flaw. He's unemployed.

Would you date him?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the reason he's unemployed. If he recently got laid off/quit (good reasons for quitting) and is actively searching for jobs then sure why not. If he's been actively searching for jobs for months or years, then I probably wouldn't want to date him. Alternatively, if I was unemployed for months or years, I wouldn't be out and about dating guys either. I feel I'd need to get that aspect in my life sorted out before being in a committed relationship.

My only exception is if the guy was unemployed for a short period of time, actively looking for jobs, and enthusiastic about the job process.

Depends. If he's a lazy bum who has gone through life just getting by, then NO! If he's just gone through a job cut but has prospects, is put together mentally and emotionally and educationally enough to find something soon, then Yes, of course.

I don't think anyone wants someone who is unmotivated and slothy even if they are hot.

I am actually dating a guy who was jobless when we met. He was only 22. He was admittedly lazy at the time, but expressed that he doesn't want to work just any meaningless job just to have money

Fast forward 6 years later, he now has his own successful business doing what he loves. Some people just need time.

But if he was solely jobless because of pure laziness and had no intention of working toward anything, then it probably would not have worked. I would have gotten annoyed after a certain point

I dated one of the best looking men I had ever met...handsome, great personality, athletic...for 9 months. He was a waiter at the time...and a ski bum. I was in grad school. The relationship lasted 9 months...because he had no desire to do anything else...ever. And today...27 years later...he is still a waiter..at age 58. His parents bought him a house...and he is single. And no longer as good looking.

Ditto what everybody else has said. If he is actively looking for work, then yes, I would date him. If he is clearly happy to mooch off parents/the government/his partner, and not look for work, then no.

My husband was unemployed for 8 months when he first came to Canada - it was really tough on him. But he was out looking for work EVERY day. He took workshop courses, spent days working on resumes and went through interview after interview until he finally got hired. Work ethic is attractive - laziness is not.

I don't think it speaks well to a person's character to try to date while they're unemployed. Dating takes time and money. When you're unemployed, you don't or shouldn't be spending whatever money you have on dating(entertainment) and your time should be spent finding a job.

My last boyfriend was/is unemployed. I have no problem dating someone who is unemployed. I have been there in the past and wouldn't like to be judged based on my employment. However, as other people have pointed out, it wasn't the fact he was not working that bothered me... I came to my senses after a while and realised that he wasn't working because he was lazy. If a person is lazy about working then they are likely to be lazy in all/ most aspects of their lives and dating them gets really really boring.

If a guy is unemployed but actively seeking work then yes I would date him.

At this point in my life I wouldn't date someone unemployed. It's one thing if we were already together and he lost his job...I would stick by him until he got a new one. But if someone is already unemployed, I think they should first find a job and then look for a girlfriend.

Well I don't have a job right now and people seem willing to date me but I am a girl. I'm also an actor and this involves a lot of finding work and having little money a lot of the time. A lot of creative types don't have proper jobs because it's a rough trip getting sorted in that area generally. I like people who do similar stuff to me, are creative and trying to pursue their dreams. If they're unemployed but pursuing something that doesn't bother me. It's having some ambition that makes someone attractive I think. I get enough guys coming onto me when I play music live and they don't care if I've got a dayjob they just think what I'm doing is good anyway.

And I just remembered my ex ended it because I had a job at the time and he went possessive/jealous crazy so having a job for me made me too much of a risk or something in his eyes! But he was an abusive a hole. So yes, people should be supportive of others when they get that job they want too. I'm sure everyone knows that but my ex didn't so I'm reiterating the point for myself!

This is a question to the women here on this board.

Say you met a guy, he's tall, attractive, physically fit, neat and clean, decent personality, sweet, charming, intelligent, decent size penis, good lover (i.e. attentive, giving, open, etc.). But he has one major flaw. He's unemployed.

Would you date him?

..............No

As a man and speaking for myself I wouldn't bother dating. There is so much stress going on and time spent finding a decent job that dating is out of the question. Besides can one afford going out on a date? Maybe if you had a chump of change saved up but then again I think that would go towards a rainy day than dating. OP good luck to you or whoever you are asking it for.

I don't think it speaks well to a person's character to try to date while they're unemployed. Dating takes time and money. When you're unemployed, you don't or shouldn't be spending whatever money you have on dating(entertainment) and your time should be spent finding a job.

In this economy, that could take months depending on education and experience, and if you're at a critical age in the dating process, you could waste your best years not dating. I would date an unemployed guy as long as he was properly looking for a suitable job for himself (I wouldn't expect him to take the first thing that tossed him a buck, if he really wanted something specific as a career). That being said, I would break up with him if he wanted to borrow or take money from me on a regular basis. He'd have to be using his own savings, welfare, parents' money, etc.

In this economy, that could take months depending on education and experience, and if you're at a critical age in the dating process, you could waste your best years not dating. I would date an unemployed guy as long as he was properly looking for a suitable job for himself (I wouldn't expect him to take the first thing that tossed him a buck, if he really wanted something specific as a career). That being said, I would break up with him if he wanted to borrow or take money from me on a regular basis. He'd have to be using his own savings, welfare, parents' money, etc.

So be it. Primary responsibility in life is supporting yourself. I wouldn't do anything until I had that covered. Kinda like people on food stamps spending their money on booze and cigarettes - whacked priorities. I'd be. Ery wary of any woman willin to date an uneployed guy figuring she only does that because she has to meaning she's got some enormous red flag about her as well and hopes it will be overlooked in kind.

I get where you are coming from pleasehelp. However, let's say that a person is trying and they are spending 40 hours a week looking for work. They still need time to oh out, decompress, have fun. I recently lost my job, and spending ti

e with supportive people has made things better for me, emotionally and mentally while I job search. I mean it's not the time to go to the opera and steak dinners. But pizza or burgers on a date? Great.

I get where you are coming from pleasehelp. However, let's say that a person is trying and they are spending 40 hours a week looking for work. They still need time to oh out, decompress, have fun. I recently lost my job, and spending ti

e with supportive people has made things better for me, emotionally and mentally while I job search. I mean it's not the time to go to the opera and steak dinners. But pizza or burgers on a date? Great.

I was just raised differently. We rarely ate out when I was a kid because my parents couldn't afford it. We had plenty of ways to decompress that didn't involve going out and spending money. My grandparents probably ate out once or twice a year - these were considered luxuries and not something one would do when they're unemployed and should be conserving their money. And they were perfectly happy. They lived through the depression though and learned that spending what you can't afford only hurts you in the long run. Now that we're a couple generations away from the depression people have abandoned the idea of making personal sacrifices and think you are just entitled to live however you like regardless of your paycheck. We'll all be reminded of this lesson all too soon.

Archived