Co worker ettiquette? She comes an h early!

As a person as well as a worker I like my fellow employee,

We work in a smallish facility in which there are constantly people coming/going, however there are only 1-2 STAFF on per shift.

My issue is that she shows up so damn early.

Always 30 mins, but usually 60.

If we worked in a larger place I could care less when she shows up, but she DIRECTLY relieves me & continues with my duties.

I like to participate in as much office politics as I can so I wasn't leaving "early," made sure I didn't "pack up" before quitting time, & conversed in small chat before leaving.

Lately, however, I've been so busy that I need to get out of there right @ 4 when I finish.

I've Even been leaving 15-30 mins early because She's already there, working.

The boss is around constantly, but it's a very liberal place to work in that switching shifts or changing availability is easy.

(If you let the boss know starting @ 8 on Thursdays doesn't work for you she'll work with it.)

Should I be grateful for my eager co worker & leave early or should I sit there & twiddle my thumbs or find mundane tasks to do before I leave?

Do you still get paid the same if she picks up early. I'd be careful that you aren't seen as lazy and she the hard worker! If she is consistently early, I would tell her thanks but you are going to finish out your work until the shift ends. If she is early because she got a ride or the train is early, she can wait in the break room or something I am sure.

Yeah be careful.

Yes, is this directly affecting you - are you getting paid less because of her?

If not, just carry on as you would normally. You can't be seen as lazy if you're doing your job properly in the first place.

She may have very sound reasons for getting there early, nothing to do with you or anyone else.

OK, my suggestion is you talk to her first. Tell her you are paid to work until 4 pm, and hence need to continue with your duties until 4 pm unless your boss tells you otherwise, as at 4 pm you'll turn the work over to her, but not until then.

If that doesn't resolve this, then you go to your boss and tell her that you've tried to resolve this with your co-worker, who appears to want to take over earlier than the end of your shift, so it gets confusing as to who should be working what. Then ask the boss how she'd like you to handle it.

btw, NEVER leave 15-30 minutes early without the boss's permission. You need to stop that immediately. You are getting paid to work, and if you leave early, you look like a slacker or someone trying to take advantage of the company. For all you know, perhaps this other woman really wants to work YOUR shift, and could be trying to ace you out to take over your shift and if you leaving early and looking like you're neglecting part of your job, it looks really bad for you and could build a case to let this other woman have your job.

So protect yourself and first try to resolve this by telling her that your shift ends at 4 and you need to work until 4 pm because that is what you are paid for. Then if she doesn't back off, you talk to your supervisor and ask what she wants to do about it.

I never thought she'd be interested in my spot!

Time to give that some consideration...

I have asked her why (non chalantly) she comes so early & she said it's because she's running errands before or trying to avoid traffic.

The other afternoon shift worker shows up an h early as well & said the same thing.

Why spend 30 min in traffic when you can sit & chat or whatever.

I do get paid until 4.

is it acceptable to leave @ 4 sharp?

I usually continue working until 4:15 then make small chat until 4:30 so I seem like a decent employee, but with her coming so early it's like I've dragged on the polite conversation too long.

I never thought she'd be interested in my spot!

Time to give that some consideration...

I have asked her why (non chalantly) she comes so early & she said it's because she's running errands before or trying to avoid traffic.

The other afternoon shift worker shows up an h early as well & said the same thing.

Why spend 30 min in traffic when you can sit & chat or whatever.

I do get paid until 4.

is it acceptable to leave @ 4 sharp?

I usually continue working until 4:15 then make small chat until 4:30 so I seem like a decent employee, but with her coming so early it's like I've dragged on the polite conversation too long.

I think 4 sharp is fine, if she's there to take over, but don't leave early even if that other girl starts doing your job. Maybe before leaving at 4 you could ask your boss if anything else needs to be done, and if she says no, then leave (of course, don't do this if you end up being assigned an hour-long task that makes you stay an hour late, but it doesn't sound like she's the type of boss who would do that). If the girl keeps doing your work then I think lavenderdove has the best advice as to the course of action to take. You could always take the opportunity to get paid to take it easy, too, and find some mundane tasks to do to look busy.. even emptying wastebaskets or something like that, lol.

As long as you're doing what you're there being paid to do, I dont' see why her getting to work early should make you look bad if you're not skipping out early on a consistent basis. Surely, you can spend the time up until 4p sending out wrap up emails, telling your boss what has been completed, what you will be doing when you get in the next day, etc. I highly doubt she's trying to get your slot--that a bit of a stretch when no facts are in about the girl's motives.

she and the boss might have worked out an agreement where she can come in early and start her work--have you asked your boss if this is the case?

Where I work, many people show up 15-30 min early because they commute long distances and/or want extra prep time. The earliest you are allowed to punch in is 7 min before the start of the shift though so even though they are there early, they are paid for starting at the same time I am and I show up much closer to the start time because I have a shorter, easier commute. In terms of leaving, management has made it clear that we cannot leave until the end of the actual shift so if that means I sit there for 15 min until I am officially allowed to punch out, I sit there and just do it. Usually colleagues need help finishing the shift though and that can also be an opportunity to help them.

She came in an h early today, brought a tea for the boss & just GABBED in her office!

There's a lot more office politics in small work places than there are in larger ones so I guess I'll take that slot from 4-4:15 to participate & never leave early.

I do genuinely like most of the staff (1 is evil), but not enough to spend an extra h with them, you know?

Most of the staff have been there for 7-12 years so they're all like 1 (loser) family, lol.

(They have NO lives... 1 staff member even sleeps there when she doesn't feel like going home.)

My prob is I have SO much stuff I do that I really don't care to hear how their day went, haha.

I guess I need to stop seeing her coming in so early as a free pass.

I'm not overly worried about my position because I have a niche (role?) I fill (play?) that I like & think makes me an asset, I guess I just can't relate to some of them.

Like... go HOME, haha.

So maybe they LIKE being at work...and for them it's not Just a Job.

If I'm rolling right, I get to work between an hour and a half hour early. It just makes everything work better for the rest of the day.

And no, if they come in early, that does not mean you get to leave early.

This way you are talking about them very poorly reflects upon you, BTW...

Practice the fine art of detachment... honestly, it doesn't matter what anyone else does if you're doing a good job, your boss is happy with your job, and the company is not having financial problems where there might be cutbacks.

The only time I've seen this kind of a thing be an issue is if the company starts losing money and they need to choose who to keep and who to lay off. Then they'll most likely choose to keep the 'eager beavers' who put in longer hours and smooze the boos more. But if this company is stable and that is not an issue, then you shouldn't worry about it. You're not running for Homecoming Queen, but maybe this other woman is, and needs to be seen as popular and 'better than' or 'more hardworking than' anyone else for her own ego's sake.

It also might work against you if there is a promotion in the future, where the boss may give the promotion to someone who is seen as being more 'committed' to putting in extra time/effort/political smoozing, so that promotion may be given to those who spend more time at work and more time smoozing the boss who awards the promotion.

I've had some people work for me who are obsessive about their hours, as in they MUST do certain things and do them the same every day or they get anxious. So maybe she is just someone who worries about her job or her life revolves around the job so she puts in more than normal hours. But really, not really relevant to you unless there arises a case where promotions are being decided or the company needs to lay someone off.

I didn't want to lay this girl's private life out there, but her common law just got thrown in jail for gang affiliations & She's saving money to be the assurdy. She asked me to let her know of any shifts I want to switch because she needs the money.

My boss love drama so they spend the h talking about life which is fine.

That's what. shes an eager beaver so to speak.

I suck up well enough, but that story I just can't compete with lol so ATM they're getting along really well. I'm competing as far as actual working hard goes but everyone wants to be on friendly terms with the boss and right now im a little on the outs as far as closeness goes

I didn't want to lay this girl's private life out there, but her common law just got thrown in jail for gang affiliations & She's saving money to be the assurdy. She asked me to let her know of any shifts I want to switch because she needs the money.

My boss love drama so they spend the h talking about life which is fine.

That's what. shes an eager beaver so to speak.

I suck up well enough, but that story I just can't compete with lol so ATM they're getting along really well. I'm competing as far as actual working hard goes but everyone wants to be on friendly terms with the boss and right now im a little on the outs as far as closeness goes

Now that you say that, maybe she's coming in early because she's hoping the boss might just say "Oh, we'll let you start an hour earlier since you're here anyway," and voila, she'll get an extra hour's worth of pay. I wouldn't switch shifts with her unless you actually have something else you want to do when a shift is scheduled, and don't need the money for that shift yourself.

I think she's stressed out & the boss is a shoulder to cry on.

That the dynamic that works for them, but I think I'll do what a poster suggested & practice detachment.

I can't compete with the drama the other girls have so I think I'll make myself about asset as a bit of an outsider.

I'll be that employee they call when other staff want to book off because they hang out a fair bit.

Im also the staff that compliments a senior staff's schedule in that I work opposite to her & don't complain.

(Im scheduled around her.)

Not all staff need to be besties, I just hope my plan works!

My MIL likes to get to work at least 30 minutes early. She likes to have time to go to the washroom, brush out her hair, get her bag situated, and look over the log from the day before she officially goes on shift. And talk to the boss if needed - since she's mid shift (3-11pm) she only sees him then.

She figures that way she's NEVER late, even if we get stuck at the train tracks (it's happened) or there's an accident or something. And she doesn't like rushing to get logged in and started. So it works for her.

I'd just worry about yourself, as others have said. Do what works for you and your boss - don't relate it to what your co-workers do. If you get there 15 minutes before shift and it's always worked well, great. If you stay a little after shift to make sure it's a smooth transition and chat a bit, as long as it's not causing a problem, dandy!

And I wouldn't necessarily assume your boss is pleased with supporting her and chatting for an hour pre-shift, he/she may just not know a kind way to tell her to occupy herself elsewhere before shift.

Archived