Am I being unreasonable?

Hi everyone...I'm writing here mainly because I feel like I have no where else to go to. I've been married for just over a year and have a young son with my husband. Lately my husband has become very politically minded and watching lots of youtube videos about the world's economic system and the "corruption" with that system. I personally have very little interest in neither finance nor politics, but he makes me watch these videos in order to "educate" me and sometimes I do it just to make him happy. But I'm getting very annoyed now with being forced to watch these videos and when I don't, he calls me ignorant and stupid like the general masses which often hurts. He's also stated that unless I become interested in these areas, our relationship won't last. This has been very hurtful and distressing to me as I can't change who I am and I'm trying my best to be accommodating to his views and opinions even though I may not share or agree with them. I feel like its his way or the highway. Are heading for divorce???

You have every right to feel hurt and you are not being unreasonable.

You shouldn't feel forced to do something that makes you uncomfortable.

It may help to draw up a contingency agreement. What do you need and want from him right now and what happens if he doesn't follow through? What does he need and want from you right now and what happens if you don't follow through?

I had a boyfriend who got really into conspiracy theories and it made me uncomfortable. I found it irritating and his behaviour and opinions would make me anxious. In the end it didn't work out; our philosophies clashed too drastically.

I hope that in the end, no matter what happens, you find yourself happy.

Tell him to go talk to those yuppies on Reddit. There's a slew of political idiots floating around there.

Call him out on his lack of respect and bullying as well, and how you aren't going to tolerate it anymore. That should call him out on his bluff. if he divorces you because he is ramming political crap down your throat, then he's an idiot.

Archived