Open Club  ·  72 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Dream meaning

Mulder68

I remember seeing something that said dreams are as real as real-life. What we see in reality is an image in our brain, it exists in our brain only as electrical signals. So, they argue so are dreams.

I know my mom predicts death in her sleep... creepy!!!

Dreams warned me of my girlfriend leaving two times, after the first dream my ex said she had doubts. The second time the dream came she broke up with me.

Maybe there is something to dreams, who knows.

Dreams warned me of my girlfriend leaving two times, after the first dream my ex said she had doubts. The second time the dream came she broke up with me.

I would argue that you had conscious or sub-conscious worries of your girlfriend leaving, and it was manifested in dreams. That is very real.

But as for dream symbolism - it's bogus as far as I am concerned. "I dreamed about clocks, therefore I am going to have car trouble"...like who comes up with this stuff?

Mulder, take a piece of paper, or start a computer document, and make a list of every detail you recall about the dream. For example:

scissors

gift

___________(who gave you the scissors, name and/or characteristics of the person)

engraving

___________(what the engraving said)

silver

and so on. As you make the list, more details might be remembered from the dream. Also include the action in the dream, or how the dream moved, and if there is a location, include that.

THEN, for each item in you list write down anything and everything that comes to mind, the definition, the use, any personal association, any metaphors or expressions or idioms that come to mind (Google the term, some associations you know subconsciously but have forgotten might come up). For example:

SCISSORS: a tool for cutting thin materials; or (scissor, as a verb) to cut or to move arms or legs back and forth like scissors; part of the game "rock, paper, scissors", 2 blades that move in opposition in order to work together; Edward Scissorhands: " the story of an artificial man named Edward, an unfinished creation who has scissors for hands" (aha, someone "hands" you "scissors", engraved...is the engraving rather "Edwardian"?, did you recently watch the movie, or something with Johnny Depp?); "running with scissors";...etc.

When you've exhausted this, then retell the dream incorporating any associations that stick out for you, or ones that catch your attention.

Sometimes, you'll have a new understanding or an "Aha!" feeling without needing to have an exact meaning.

I would argue that you had conscious or sub-conscious worries of your girlfriend leaving, and it was manifested in dreams. That is very real.

But as for dream symbolism - it's bogus as far as I am concerned. "I dreamed about clocks, therefore I am going to have car trouble"...like who comes up with this stuff?

Yes, i have thought about that. My inner-mind picking up cues and hints that my active part of the brain missed. But, the timing was too close (as in a result the very next day) - and i didnt see the breakup coming, if anything we were getting stronger.

Archived