Feeling underutilized at work / thinking about moving

bat man

I started this job in August 2013 right after getting my master's degree, so I have been in the position for six months. Over the past six months I have learned some new skills, but now I am feeling unchallenged and bored. The work has gotten pretty mundane. My job description said I would be doing other things, but I haven't done much of those things. Therefore I feel my job was slightly misrepresented.

I have spoken to my manager, telling her that I am ready to take on new challenges and contribute more to the other aspects of the job. She offered some menial things I could do, which don't utilize the skills I learned during my master's degree program. There isn't really much I could do. I told her of a project I could do, but that project is already being done by someone else. On the plus side, my manager is very approachable and I felt comfortable talking to her.

On top of the job dissatisfaction, I live in a rural town, which is several hours away from the big city. I am a single guy in my late 20s who grew up in the city, so I miss it dearly. I also have to pay $1100 in living expenses since housing costs are inflated here. I could easily pay $700-800 in the city. It's getting hard to manage expenses.

So I'm at a crossroads here. In my field, commitment is valued. Should I hold out for at least a year and then move? Should I be concerned about my own marketability and look for better jobs now? There is no more room for growth/challenge in my position, so what's the point of staying?

Here is the thing about education...it is challenging and interesting and dynamic. Here is the thing about work...sometimes it's not. I just want to say first of all, I feel ya...I and many people in my social circle are well educated (masters+) and each one of us is bored and unchallenged in our work..

I am glad that you are seeing this early on and that you are asking your manager for more responsibility, that is great. I think in life sometimes opportunities will give us a path to follow and we can choose to follow that path, or we can make our own path...and if you aren't happy in this job anymore...it's time to start considering how to make your own path. sorry i am getting ambiguous...because practically speaking i'm not sure what kind of advice i can give you.

one thing that struck is you mentioned commitment is valued in your field....should you wait at least a year and then move? well, i think it depends. like how valued is commitment? will it automatically reflect poorly on you? will you lose a positive reference if you leave too soon? that is important early on in a career. and who would you ultimately want to work for? what's your dream role? would they care that you left this job early? these are some questions i'd be thinking about...

i think you should move because it would make you happy...but it's easy to just advise that without thinking about the practical side of things. if it was me...i would start searching for jobs that you want and start applying...if the right opportunity comes, u take it and run...but u r not in a hurry...

Hi, this is my first post so I'm not sure I'm doing this right but perhaps you can start sending out your resume and see what happens before you quit your current job.Maybe go on a few interviews. I would meditate on it. If a job comes up that you feel might be a better fit then go for it. You're a young guy, sounds like living in the city would have more opportunities for you in more ways than one. Good luck.

Archived