What does it mean to have a closed heart?

I have been told by a few people recently that I seem very closed in my heart. I wanted to do a alternative training course and in the interview I got the same feedback.

I can feel very physically there is a closing there. And I feel like I am not really able to open up to anyone.

I wonder what this phrase means to anybody else?

To me that phrase is different depending on the person.

People can "close off their hearts" is many different ways. Sometimes its because someone they loved a lot, maybe a previous relationship, a parent, grandparent, or even a friend disappointed them and literally torn their hearts to pieces. Emotionally damaging them to a point where the person almost shuts off their emotions completely because they just dont ever want to feel that again.

There are others who "close off their hearts" because the idea of someone knowing their secrets terrifies them and they would rather not let anyone in if they dont have too.

It can be change but it takes time for sure. The right person will open your heart again

To me having a closed heart means that you have walls up and don't really let people become truly intimately involved with you. You keep people at arms-length, so to speak.

This is what I take it to mean as well. If you're planing to do alternative therapy/training with people, does the course offer suggestions for what to do for that?

Context means everything. Are you hearing this from people who are more effusive than you are?

Some people are reserved and use discretion in deciding with whom they're willing to share intimate parts of themselves.

That's not necessarily a closed heart. In most cases, it's just smart.

What does it mean to you?

Yes thankyou great feedback.

I guess it means for me that something is being held back from my interactions from people. I am in a lot of pain and afraid of being hurt. I want to be accepted and I don't think I will be if I act myself.

The problem with that is, then you won't feel accepted anyway, because you're offering a paste-on personality that isn't who you are.

If friendship and love weren't rare, what would be so special about them? Well, the whole reason they're rare is because we can't please everyone--there are fewer people we'll click with than not. This doesn't make anyone 'bad' or necessarily even distasteful, but when we find the right chemistry it's golden.

The only way to have that with anyone is to relax into your Self and learn over time that only certain people will own the capacity to recognize and appreciate your unique gifts. Others will enjoy you to a certain degree, and those are acquaintances--people you enjoy maybe doing certain things with, but maybe just occasionally.

Write more if it helps, and you're not being judged here.

Archived