My ex can't seem to stop contacting me.

My ex and I broke up a few months ago after ten years. Although I'm heartbroken I know we. Any stay in touch. Total no contact would not really work and isn't necessary in my eyes. We have a mutual hobby and lots of the same friends so will bump into one another from time to time.

I'm happy to see him when it's totally necessary and us be able to talk but don't see the need for communication outside of that. He ended things with me, he wanted this, I asked if we can try fix things. So now I've decided to move on with my life.

He sends me irrelevant texts, asks me questions that I know he doesn't need answers to, just generally keeps in touch.

Why is this? Pure habit? And what can I do? I really don't want to have to say don't ever contact me again but at the same time I don't encourage it, I never ask a question and answer his always a time later with simple yes and no answers. I'd like us to be civil but neither of us will move on if there's daily contact.

No contact is the best way but if you want to stay in limited contact then start ignoring some of his texts. You are under no obligation to answer them. He is your ex and you don't owe him any explanations for not answering texts. He can't say he wanted to breakup and then message you daily. It's not fair.

He sends me irrelevant texts, asks me questions that I know he doesn't need answers to, just generally keeps in touch.

Why is this? Pure habit? And what can I do?

Yes, probably pure habit. You were together for 10 years, the habits he developed over that time will be hard to break. Which means, you're going to have to help him break them. I don't think it would be out of line to send him an e-mail requesting he doesn't contact you any more, that he chose to break up with you and you need space to heal from the relationship and move on with your life. If he doesn't stop, then block him.

I'm sorry you're going through this

Archived