Fired from my job...and then unfired...what do I do now?

So many of you have seen my posts about looking for new job possibilities. I am in radio sales and it's horrible. It's stressful and negative and management doesn't help. I've been here for 6 months but am going on my 7th which means my "guarantee" is up...aka I am now working on 100% commission. Great.

Anyway Friday, my boss calls me in to his office, closes the door and tells me they're going to "let me go." I guess the built up anger of all the crap they've put me through and the fact that I had worked hard that day, cold callling, and booked 5 appts for the following week built up bc I just let out everything that was on my mind. Hoe unfair they've been, that this is bull, how they've kept other rookies on the sales team for a year and a half who have done nothing but they give them plenty of chances, etc. one of my favorite stories was recently a rookie came in to work three hours late, hungover, when he had a big meeting that day and all of the managers & boss knew he had been drinking the night before bc it was at a work function yet that isn't grounds for being fired?! Even worse my boss was the one partying with him!

So after I flipped out my boss gets up and goes to talk to his boss then comes back and offers me 30 days to stay. Now I'm on my way into work, dreading it as always thinking I just fought for a job I hate and considering just quitting. Being fired then unfired gives me no motivation...it just makes me resent them. My parents guilt tripped me when I told them I wanted to quit this morning and go " so you're just going to walk away like a loser?" But idk. After everything, I'm just angry.

I can see where you are coming from, the place where I worked did a similar thing the only difference being that where I worked the place where I came from seemed to be more important than language fluency.

I would say take those 30 days and use them wisely, from what you have written it looks like you have just had a bad run but you work really hard.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the position you are looking to go after?

With regards to what your parents said, they are most likely looking at this from the point where you are able to prove your bosses wrong before the end of the 30 days. You have every right to be angry there is such partiality where you work.

It reminds me exactly of where I was, I too had an outburst like yours when I was told I could not apply for a position even though no one was filling it. The person who was in that position had left for a much more prestigious job at PlayStation and I just wished to carry on doing what they were doing as it was what I had learned to do.

Rebellefleur I am not sure what the situation is like in the states but I hope it is a bit better than the UK, just take up the offer of the 30 days and carry on looking around on the side for other jobs.

Don't let the quality of your work drop, you are a hard worker and I am sure that you have pride in what you submit even though you may not like what you do.

Personally... if I can live without the job until I can find another it's what I'd do, no reason to stay somewhere you're not happy.

However if there's anything to take home, what I've learned from my brother's, my father's, friend's and my own experiences: once you let higher management walk all over you, you lose, they'll do it time and time again, you'll be treated just like another piece that can be manipulated and taken for granted.

On the upside when they see you're not just another pawn or sheep you'll start getting better pay and treated with much more respect (assuming you're bringing a lot to the table, which seems to be the case).

It's safe to say you have lost job security in your job and time to put in a Plan A and Plan B for when the time that you get fired for real. Also I wouldn't stay in a position I hate so much, it's hard finding work but if you interview now, you'll probably interview better then when you're out of work.

I'm certain that your misery and hatred for the position is fully visible to the management. They probably thought they were doing you a favor by letting you go now that your security blanket paycheck has ended and were completely shocked to see you actually stand up and fight for your job. So now you have 30 days to either get used to living without the security blanket or find another position or go back to school, etc. Either way, stop complaining and DO something.

Archived