Jewelry too much for Valentine's Day after 4 months of dating?

needadvice22

This really depends on your personalities, age, etc. I dated a guy for four month when he bought be an inexpensive ring for Christmas. It was a cladagh ring (I told him how much I liked them an wanted one someday early when we were dating). We both knew it wasn't a promise ring or anything like that.

I would say, four months dating, keeping it under $100 most certainly.

Alex and Ani bracelets are "the thing" around here and soooo cute. You can get 2 for under $60 and they're kind of bangle-y in that people usually wear more than one. They have all different messages and meanings so you might find one that means just want you want to convey.

link removed

PS I don't work for them....haha. Just love them!

Yes. Too much.

I think you should bring her flowers or better yet BAKE her something yourself.

Its not just the money aspect, but jewelry implies you are serious. Unless it is something inexpensive especially costume jewelry that she likes that she would wear to work. Not something she would think meant a step forward. If she is the type of person to be wearing a different necklece to match every outfit that's different but NOT that expensive!~

I think spending that much is too much for 4 months for sure no matter how much money you are making. Also remember, whatever you spend now kind of sets the bar on future gifts.

You can surely find other beautiful jewelry that's far cheaper. Also it gives you room to do something thoughtful like making her a nice home cooked dinner (or taking her out somewhere she likes) and to get her a flower. Traditional V-Day gifts are normal for 4 months but definitely not $135 for jewelry.

I think it depends. It depends on if she's the kind of girl who either expects or would appreciate jewelry. If you are OK with spending that amount of money with no expectations, or disappointment if the relationship doesn't continue. If it were me, I would think it's too much, but I'm not this girl.

And this is the number one reason why Valentine's Day sucks...it causes a lot of unneeded stress in relationships...Anniversaries (real anniversaries...that live up to the name anniversary...IE yearly), Birthday's...Christmas (after sixth months) those are the things that are important. Valentine's day is schmuck bait...if you must inexpensive chocolates...a sweater...or something simple and small...is all that's necessary and all that should be expected...anything more is too much for the day.

It really depends on both of you and the dynamic of the relationship. My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's day at all because we think it is a generic corporate holiday designed to bleed money from couples and cause single people to feel bad

That's how WE feel....so if I were speaking on my behalf, I would say ANYTHING on that day is too much.

But I am not her, and she might be very much anticipating the day. There is no 'set amount' to spend, you just want to make sure that what you are giving the other person is in line with both hers (and your) expectations.

So if you, for example held my view that Valentine's day is worthless as a holiday you might not get her anything at all....but if she was very much looking forward to it and expecting something, she might end up disappointed and vice versa.

Is she the type of girl who might expect a necklace with $135? And are you willing to spend that kind of money so early in the relationship? If both of you are OK with those expectations, then go for it.

She on the other hand, might be put off by a gift that expensive so early in.

The only way you will be able to find out is by talking to her. I know it doesn't sound very romantic, but it is the best way of minimizing hurt feelings or disappointment is to figure out what both of you expect.

Sit down with her and just ask her "Do you want to celebrate Valentine's day so early into our relationship and if so, would you like to set a budget so that neither one of us goes overboard?" You can also ask her what kind of night she would like.

If her values mesh with yours you have your answer.

Perhaps I'm an exception here, but I would personally love to receive a $135 necklace from my boyfriend for valentines day! I would think it's very thoughtful and kind of him. I certainly wouldn't expect it, but he would gain bonus points in my book. Am i the only person who doesn't want to receive flowers on valentines day? Maybe because I still live with my parents, and I find it awkward to walk into the house with a big bouquet of flowers...lol. But that's just me

Perhaps I'm an exception here, but I would personally love to receive a $135 necklace from my boyfriend for valentines day! I would think it's very thoughtful and kind of him. I certainly wouldn't expect it, but he would gain bonus points in my book. Am i the only person who doesn't want to receive flowers on valentines day? Maybe because I still live with my parents, and I find it awkward to walk into the house with a big bouquet of flowers...lol. But that's just me

Well of course you'd like to receive $135 necklace...

I'd hate giving a $135 necklace...for Valentine's Day...it's unnecessary and is largely done meaninglessly in commemoration of nothing other than a day specified by jewelry stores as being a day to waste money unnecessarily.

That being said, such a necklace for a special anniversary or specific birthday...would not be a problem for me...because it's being used to commemorate a specific threshold in her or our lives together.

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for 4 months. We are very close. Is a $135 necklace too much for Valentine's Day?

Way too much, way too soon (imo). Don't do it. If you start off with such extravagant gifts at the 4 month mark, she'll start expecting more and more, bigger and better at every occasion. How will you keep up?

I would never accept a gift like that after only dating 4 months, but maybe that's just me.

Archived