I have been talking to this guy I met online for seven or eight months now. He decided that the distance was an issue, and he didn't want to go down that road again. We decided that we should just be friends. Since that time, we've continued sharing pictures, dirty talk, and even met (and yes we slept together). This was the first time I had ever met anyone from online. I didn't want to admit it to myself, but after meeting him, I realize how much I actually like him. We've both been going on other dates with different people since then, but still talk and share pictures. Neither of us are in a relationship, just been out on dates. I try to support his dates and encourage him to go out because we're just friends, and I know he wants a relationship. But honestly it's not my favorite part of being his friend. And the only reason I've went out on dates is because I'm afraid to hold out on finding someone if he's just not interested. We've even talked about meeting and hanging out again. He really is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and I don't know that he actually knows how I feel about him. My thing is, I know at this point we can only be friends because of the distance. Deep down I want to just ask him whether a relationship between us would ever be possible in the future. But then I'm afraid of the answer. I don't know if I should just let it go, or what. Should I talk to him about this, or just forget about it? We talk everyday, and I just don't know if I should bother because I'm really afraid of losing a good friend.

It doesn't work to try to 'be friends with' someone you have strong feelings for, especially when he doesn't seem to feel the same. You're too involved with him, texting every day and talking dirty, for someone who's told you he doesn't want a relationship with you (because of distance) and is dating other girls and looking for a relationship where he is. You're going to get trapped in this situation where he won't give you what you want yet you can't give him up and it'll only get worse. Definitely don't meet up and sleep with him again. That is selling yourself short. Don't ask if you can possibly have a relationship at some later stage. It's too much like begging for breadcrumbs. I don't think you should continue being 'a friend'. It's not in your interests. It will hurt you. Doesn't matter how nice a guy he is, it's not good for you. If you keep on this way you won't be able to stop (not without great difficulty) and I don't like to think of you being in that vulnerable position with someone who, however nice he is, is quite happy with the present situation and isn't pining for you as you are for him.

If you have feelings for him and he thinks you are just friends, then you are lying to him and thats not fair on him or you. If you come clean he will just withdraw his friendship, and if you dont your feelings continue to grow and you will get hurt and hurt hard, so back out now.

Archived