Self-help books post break- up

silversoul

Hi my boyfriend who I loved very deeply have left me and now is with someone else. I've noticed that self-help books help me a lot since I feel better when I'm able to know more about the situation and reading gives me that.

I feel jaded, cynical, depressed, isolated and very lonely. It seems everyone is suffering on this planet, so what's the point of going on? I was someone who believed in loyalty and devotion now all I feel is how pathetic and naive I am. I don't want to be in this bubble of negativity. I just feel aimless, should I become more religious?

Any books about optimism? Any books with a compassionate streak in them to help me? It's so hard to be a human

Our situations are different, but emotionally I feel in the same boat as you. Take it a day at a time. I don't really know any self help books, all I do is come on here to vent or when I'm feeling low, I'll read a lot of Tolkien and king to get my mind off things. I'm mostly online looking at self love tips, positive reinforcements ect

What I'm going through now is the same thing my own mother went through with me dad, and even though she is living proof that it's not the end of the world, she has never said it to me, she never makes my feelings invalid and I'm sure it must hurt her to see me going through exactly the same thing she never says "I'll get over it" or "plenty more fish" and other sayings like that. She listens to my every thought, feeling, craziness and doesn't brush it off. There is a lot of pain and it can make you bitter, but there is a lot of beauty and humanity too, you just have to look.

When I need to feel good ill look at "faith in humanity restored" and "GuvesMeHope" websites, so even though I'm hurt and it's the most consuming thing I've ever felt, there is still good and love in the world

Your not alone.

I suggest listening to free podcasts by Dr. Joy Browne. She teaches her callers ways to view and use optimism as a practical tool, and to focus on isolating specific goals and steps rather than generalizing and characterizing 'everything' into giant abstractions.

You can use itunes to subscribe for free, or you can listen to older podcasts through a number of archives. Here's one to start:

link removed

Well i am religious and personally it helps a lot, specifically the community. It really helps surrounding yourself with people who are optimistic and really just want to give you all their love. Finding this site as im sure you've already realized also has helped me a pretty great deal. As far as books go i read one called "anger the other side of love" and i found it pretty good as well as "the five languages of love" it helped me realize what i should be doing to love myself, my future SO's, and just the people in my life in general.

Archived