Awkward experience watching TV last night w/ the wife.

Unreasonable

So we were watching Shameless last night, and there's a scene where somebody is advising another (female) to put "DTF" on their online dating profile.

My wife giggled, and I was like, huh? What does DTF mean? She said "down to f__k".

There was kind of an awkward silence through the rest of the show. She is usually slow to pick up internet lingo, but she knew this one straight away. I didn't even know what it meant, I and consider myself fairly on top of things and far from an innocent little flower. It must be fairly commonly known though or they wouldn't have had this as a joke for the show?

I think she sensed that i was puzzled by it, and after the show was over she said she picked it up by reading one of those "misstyped chat convo" jokes. I accept that I guess, I mean, it's not like I can refute it. But it was a bit unsettling.

Umm, I have never heard the term before in my life, but if I was watching a show in which a character was advising another character to put DTF on their dating profile, I would put two and two together. It's not exactly difficult to figure out given the context.

Why does it bother you that she knew it?

Sometimes people just say stuff that surprise you is all. Has no one ever said anything that surprised you, based off what you know (or didn't know) about them? I didn't question her or give her the third degree or accuse her of anything. It's no big deal.

It sounds like it WAS a big deal to you. You say it was an awkward experience, it "unsettled" you and you started a thread about it. Honestly, you sound really paranoid. To be "unsettled" because your wife knows a (super common) internet acronym that you don't? Wow.

Umm, I have never heard the term before in my life, but if I was watching a show in which a character was advising another character to put DTF on their dating profile....
Me neither. But I would have to look it up on link removed, 'cause I wouldn't automatically think that

I don't think it means she's cheating, Unreasonable, or that she has a profile up. IMO, if she did and had used that in her's I doubt she would have been so willing to admit that she knew what it meant, I'd bet that she would have feigned ignorance.

It must be fairly commonly known though or they wouldn't have had this as a joke for the show......But it was a bit unsettling.

Unsettling that she knows commonly used terms that are referenced on television??

If that's a big deal, I feel a little sad for your wife. She has to be careful about giggling? Yikes.

I have never been on one of those dating websites but when I read your post, I did giggle because that was the first thing I thought of when I read that acronym.

So, I wouldn't worry about her knowing it. As someone else had mentioned, if she had less than honorable reasons for knowing what that meant, she probably wouldn't have giggled like that.

Most men get uncomfortable if they think that their SO has "too much" sexual experience. It's an extremely old double-standard. Women tend to go after men that are traditional, to some degree--in the sense that they want marriage and kids--so they shouldn't be surprised when other types of traditional thinking pop up.

In other news, the sky is blue, and there will be another thread like this next week, and the week after that, and...

If it wasn't a big deal then why make a thread and put it in trust and relationships?

Why? Cause I couldn't find any other forum that would fit. Now, if I was REALLY worried and paranoid about it, I probably would have put it under "Infidelity."

I was simply NOT aware of how "super-common" this acronym was out in the wild. To hear some people talk about it, it's practically the new "lol."

I also considered this so trivial I sat on the fence on whether I should even post it. Next time I'll know better.

Archived