Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Who here believes in aliens/life on other planets?

oitnb

I try not to believe in anything like that because it scares me. But I also know we are limited in our knowledge of space and our travel in space and based on that I can't use science to try to rule out that there could be forms of life on other planets. It is possible there could be other planets that could support life link removed. I doubt their forms are like what is depicted in movies. It could even be life at a microscopic level or some odd looking prehistoric-like creatures.

I absolutely believe that there is life on other planets. I just don't believe we have discovered it yet (or rather, they discover us). I believe that there are life forms on many other planets that we haven't found yet, and that they probably range from very simple (prokaryotes) to much more complex organisms that may be capable of what we are capable of.

I believe that, given the billions of potentially habitable planets there are out there, life must exist on at least one. But, like Belladonna, I don't believe in little green men with ray guns and flying saucers and I don't believe they have ever visited Earth. Even if they had developed light speed travel, it would take our nearest neighbours thousands of years to reach us. Most life forms would be basic fish like creatures or small mammals. You would have to go an awfully long way to encounter any intelligent civilization.

Technically there is no "proof" yet, but the statistical probability leans towards it existing somewhere. The harder thing to determine is how frequent life is, let alone how frequent "intelligent" life is, and whether or not it is frequent enough to actually make a difference to our lives. The universe is estimated 13-14 billion years old. The Earth is about 4.5 billion. While the Earth is an unremarkable planet compared to planets in our galaxy, in that entire time span and among the million upon millions of species that have existed only humans have become sapient (arguable depending on your definition of sapient). If it is that rare on Earth it must be even rarer to find another human-like intelligence the vicinity of our short grasp among the stars.

When you realize all quartz the universe through is composed of the same atoms, in the same molecular arrangement...well, that's one explosive thought right there.

Out here in our liveable region of space [neglecting star centers and planet centers] All of our unique elements are contained within 150 unique species. From those, we only have about 6000 natural minerals. That's all of them.

Now you may say life is extremely complex, to the point of being unknowable. And yet, all this life we know on earth is made out of the same four base DNA pairs. In otherwords, life is entirely made up of just 4 particles.

If it takes 2.5 billion years to evolve a sentient life form on this planet, simple statistics says it's elsewhere too, particularly if the particles over there on those planets follow the same rules followed by the particles over here. There's 600 billion billion stars in the universe, with a latest exploration for planets showing there's far more of them then they ever suspected. Yes, there is life out there, but will we ever meet it? maybe, but only by chance!!

It's not a matter of If, but where, and more importantly, WHEN. Fermi's Paradox, you see, separates us from our next neighbor by not just distance[light years] but also by time [millions and billions of years].

It happened here so if the physical variables are similar enough it makes sense that life would occur elsewhere in the universe and IMO that is almost a certainty given the number of galaxies we are aware of. I think we will probably discover some sort of molecular life on other planets in my lifetime which would be pretty exciting.

And that is just considering environments that are similar enough to earth. Even on our own planet we have found life in the most unexpected places. If you extend that concept to the entire universe then yeah there is probably lots of life out there and it is possible that it exists in ways we are entirely unaware of. I have a hunch that intelligent life is much more rare but still out there somewhere.

Completely believe in life on other planets. Have my whole life since being introduced to the different types of religions and mythologies of other cultures, not to mention the amazing discoveries in other countries of unexplained structures - this planet is mind blowing.

If you're really into this kind of stuff, I highly suggest watching the History Channels series "Anicent Aliens", opens you mind to actually wonder the stories of religions and cutlural beliefs - don't get me wrong they are all just people's opinions on things but some of the points they make really makes you think hmmm...

I find the Ancient Aliens program entertaining in so much as I learn about neat places on Earth, but I discount a lot of what is presented as "theory". The hosts are very eager to credit Aliens with marvels of construction and engineering from earlier times.

Just look at what humans have accomplished on their own recently (and in astonishingly little time). Given thousands of years, and no facebook to distract them, why can't we accept that humans built the pyramids?

I believe in life in other planets that have lived or extinct. They share the same problems our world has like Nuclear wars, famine and diseases.

Higher technology societies must of found better planets to live since we don't see them often or leave us alone not to scare us to ruin the foundation of our society.

Ever notice how no matter how advanced our technology is, we're still plagued with the same basic issues that have dogged us from the very beginning?

Not to digress at all, but I offer up the instance of murder, which is pretty well universally illegal - and yet it's still going on with no sign of going away any time soon...

Ever notice how no matter how advanced our technology is, we're still plagued with the same basic issues that have dogged us from the very beginning?

Not to digress at all, but I offer up the instance of murder, which is pretty well universally illegal - and yet it's still going on with no sign of going away any time soon...

This is done everywhere. Murder can be done for good and bad reason. Let's say King is tormenting the people. Peasant stands up for the people and murders the king. Every situation is different

This is done everywhere. Murder can be done for good and bad reason. Let's say King is tormenting the people. Peasant stands up for the people and murders the king. Every situation is different

No, every situation is not different. Every situation involves one human killing another human being. No matter what reason, it's one human killing another. No matter how hard we try, we have yet to address the relatively simple issue of human behavior.

It's the reason why this forum space exists in the first place. But the relationship problems that bring most people here are not new, they are not a new original internet phenomena. Internet dating and facebook haven't created the issues people have with either medium, those issues have been with us for a very, very long time. The only thing that is different now, perhaps, is our piqued awareness, and yet - the problems are just as prevalent now as they have ever been.

The only reason we may not thing they are is because we have only lived ten, twenty, fifty years, and as such. "Back then" we were too young to understand the behaviors around us, or to see them as we see them now. Our children are too young now to see it, and their children too will experience the same issue. We do not yet have a mechanism for passing on our personal experience, a mechanism that would hel pprevent the next generation form having to make and relearn all the same old mistakes.

I guess I'll confess something - I've seen UFO's three times throughout my life. Might've been my eyes playing tricks on me, satellites, I don't know. But I've always been a "believer" since seeing the first one one when I was 12.

I find the Ancient Aliens program entertaining in so much as I learn about neat places on Earth, but I discount a lot of what is presented as "theory". The hosts are very eager to credit Aliens with marvels of construction and engineering from earlier times.

Just look at what humans have accomplished on their own recently (and in astonishingly little time). Given thousands of years, and no facebook to distract them, why can't we accept that humans built the pyramids?

I totally agree, I have had this discussion MANY times with some people I know. I believe that there are other forms of life out there in the universe. I DO NOT believe that they came here and showed us how to build. I studied evolution and ancient societies in school, so I believe that we had the skills to to build these structures, even though it seems impossible to us now considering that we rely on cranes and other large machines to do the heavy work, rather than man-power. There is archaeological evidence that we built these structures, there have been workman's villages excavated in Egypt, there are hieroglyphs depicting how these structures were built. There are also "mistake" pyramids, where you can see that the architect got the math wrong. I think it is foolish and also disingenuous to dismiss our abilities to not only to manifest such amazing structures, but also to construct them, wholly on our own.

I listened to an interview with one of the scholars who contributed to the show, I think she works for NASA or something and she was brought into the show to provide the more rational and scientific point of view, and she stated that the interview was edited in such a way as to take her words and opinions out of context in an attempt to twist her arguments around to make it seem like she supported certain ideas about the existence of aliens, and the possibility of contact from aliens, when in fact she had opposing viewpoints.

I guess I'll confess something - I've seen UFO's three times throughout my life. Might've been my eyes playing tricks on me, satellites, I don't know. But I've always been a "believer" since seeing the first one one when I was 12.

Satellites move in straight lines, at constant velocity, and constant brightness. Terrestrial military aircraft are capable of some pretty incredible stuff.

If there are alien life forms in our galactic neighbourhood, I don't imagine they will show up here with two legs, two arms, two eyes, and a shiny flying machine. We have a tendency to create aliens in our own image.

Truth is, other life may exist right here on earth in ways we can not begin to comprehend, and in ways with which we can not experience and interact....string theory predicts at least 10 dimensions. We only interact consciously in 4 dimensions.

I assume there are aliens, and they may even have a relationship forum a lot like this one, except they have an additional category "Intergalactic Dating" but almost no one ever posts in it.

That would be a very logical conclusion...

A lot of people like to say money is the root of all evil, but the reality is, Action is the root of all evil. When you act [spend time] on an investment, be it crafting, chopping, sowing, or such, you invest your intangible time and produce a concrete product. Money is the universal conversion manna that equates all products on a normalized base. So in that sense, Time is the root of all evil - or Idle hands are the devil's workshop?

So this being said, here we have a shortage of resources. No matter where you go, we are restricted by our available source of abundance. This shortage arises out of a localized distribution of minerals, which in turn leads to inequalities in vegetation, nutrition, metallurgy, an other such important strategic resources.

Starvation itself is a natural consequence of overpopulation; This being said, Calhoun when so far as to show that overpopulation can put a premium on space, where as social behavior/order break down when things are overcrowded.

So way out there, yes, it's very likely they're dealing with the limited resource of individual beings who don't want to be with them...right along with all the other ills that plague our species.

My mom who is catholic detailed her encounter with a flying saucer. She knows nothing about aliens, she cant even speak english, yet she described a flying saucer. My mom and my aunt were out in her yard in Puerto Rico when she saw it hovering off the ground, it flew off when my aunt yelled and forced my mom into the house. The news that day went on and on and about meteor shower, which was kind of odd.

I believe my mom...

I sometimes wonder about the theory that if aliens exist that they would take us over, no different than what modernized nations did to primitive cultures. But, if we are to emulate our behavior into aliens, then i would believe very high technology would bring about a more evolved state of peace and understanding - and the idea of conquering and stealing resources would be underneath them (but then again i believe the whole notion of peace is used to keep revolution and the masses from striking up).

I also find it odd that the catholic church has made public statements supporting the belief in aliens. We are having very serious discussions about alien-life now, and it seems disclosure is coming. Also, there was the us disclosure act, where the us govt was forced to reveal govt paperwork detailing ufo findings... some of it was questionable... and some of the papers were blacked out.

I absolutely do. It would be selfish to think that we are the only intelligent lifeforms in the entire galaxy. There are so many things we don't know yet and I think that is a good thing. I even believe that there are already "aliens" who live on earth and no, they aren't evil beings who plan to take over earth

Archived