Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Can I change to a different apartment within the same apartment complex?

SilverFactory

Hi,

I recently moved to a new apartment that is on the first floor. I signed a 12 month lease.

In just 2 days I noticed how the ceiling is so thin and I could hear the guy living in the second floor loud and clear. When he walks around it is like stomping on the ground and I hear loud bangs and even see the ceiling fan shake slightly. In the night when he is talking on the phone I could easily hear the conversation. Then he brought his girlfriend last Friday and they started having sex and I could hear each and everything.. It was really embarrassing. I am losing my sleep big time and because of that my productivity at work has gone down significantly. I work as a Test Engineer and have started making mistakes

On top of this I notice cockroaches every single night in the bathroom. I am freaking out at the thought of using my own restroom.

I am not sure how I can stay in a place where I cannot sleep peacefully and afraid to use the bathroom. The problem is I already signed a 12 month lease.

Today I found out that they have an apartment in the 2nd floor that is ready to be moved in. Is it possible for me to transfer the lease to the other apartment? Will they allow it? Will I be charged lease break free?

The apartment in the second floor is more expensive but I would rather pay more money than suffering for the rest of the year.

Can you guys provide some help?

Thanks

You won't know until you ask. The other apartment may be ready to move into, but they may already have a tenant lined up for it. Get out your lease agreement and read it. Or, just ask your landlord, explain the situation about the ceiling and the noise, the worst thing he can say is no.

No they don't have anyone lined up for the other apartment. They are actually giving discounts for some one to move in
Well, I think you have two choices. 1. Ask and see if you can move in to the new place/swap your rental agreement. 2. If they say "no", see if you can find someone to sublet your place (if that's allowed in the rental agreement) and then rent the place you want. It will be hard if your subletter has the same problem you do with the noise and bolts on you, though, or damages that place.

Your other option is to talk to your upstairs neighbour about the noise. One of the issues with living in a shared building is that you have to be accommodating to the other people in your building within reason. You wouldn't be allowed to blare your music at 11 -- one of your neighbours would have a word with you if you did that. Unless your upstairs neighbour is some kind of freak who gets off on other people hearing them have sex (and if so, speak to their partner), they should be willing to tone it down.

I've moved between apartments in the same complex with the same lease - also if the landlord/management company owns other properties, you also may be able to move there without penalty.

In terms of noise, I use fans (both through the thermostat and free standing fans) to help drown out noise. I also use earplugs to help with sleep but your problems appear to be far greater than any that I have experienced as a tenant. Definitely talk to your landlord, the cockroaches alone are unbearable living conditions.

Your other option is to talk to your upstairs neighbour about the noise. One of the issues with living in a shared building is that you have to be accommodating to the other people in your building within reason. You wouldn't be allowed to blare your music at 11 -- one of your neighbours would have a word with you if you did that. Unless your upstairs neighbour is some kind of freak who gets off on other people hearing them have sex (and if so, speak to their partner), they should be willing to tone it down.

Thanks Lorem.

If this guy is jumping or playing the music loud I can go have a talk with him but all he is doing is just walking around, talking on the phone, have sex with his gf but the ceiling is so thin and it is disturbing me. I am not sure what I can possibly tell him

Any suggestions?

I've moved between apartments in the same complex with the same lease - also if the landlord/management company owns other properties, you also may be able to move there without penalty.

In terms of noise, I use fans (both through the thermostat and free standing fans) to help drown out noise. I also use earplugs to help with sleep but your problems appear to be far greater than any that I have experienced as a tenant. Definitely talk to your landlord, the cockroaches alone are unbearable living conditions.

Thanks for your post.

Can you please tell me what exactly you told the management? I am going to talk to them today.

Another thing is the new apartment that I want to move to is $100 more than the current apartment so I am hoping that it really should not be a problem for them.

Hi,

I recently moved to a new apartment that is on the first floor. I signed a 12 month lease.

Today I found out that they have an apartment in the 2nd floor that is ready to be moved in. Is it possible for me to transfer the lease to the other apartment? Will they allow it? Will I be charged lease break free?

I have a friend who did this because her first apartment sometimes smelled like smoke because the next door neighbors smoked. So she moved into a different apartment in the same building. I don't think there were any fees or issues associated with it, certainly not major.

the ceiling is so thin and it is disturbing me. I am not sure what I can possibly tell him Talk to your landlord first and see if you can swap. You might just have a word with the person upstairs and tell them what you said here, that their floor is very thin and you could hear everything, without discussing the specifics. Maybe it's a landlord thing, too? Maybe some carpeting (or rugs) would help if there's hardwood? Maybe there's nothing that can be done but rent to someone deaf?

Just keep in mind that if you move to the 2nd floor, whoever moves in or lived below you apartment on the 1st will then hear all of your conversations. Do you think a sound machine would help?

No matter what- let the landlord know about the roaches. They need to take care of that.

A big THANKS to each and everyone of you! I spoke to the apartment assistant manager and explained my situation. I told her that I waited for 2 weeks to see if the situation was bearable or not and then decided that I had no choice other than to move out. She immediately understood and then said she will call her manager who will then call the management and will have an answer ready for me in about 2 hours. In exactly 30 minutes I got a call back with the pleasant message that they agreed to transfer me to a unit that is in the second floor (top most)

I immediately completed all the paper work and arranged for the movers. I packed my things again and yesterday morning I moved to the new apartment in the second floor. It was hectic but yesterday night I slept so peacefully.. like a baby!

The best part in all this was I was not charged a dime for the lease transfer. No new application fee, no lease transfer fee, no need to pay the difference in the rent for the current month, no new security deposit.. nothing. The management was so nice to me

Just keep in mind that if you move to the 2nd floor, whoever moves in or lived below you apartment on the 1st will then hear all of your conversations. Do you think a sound machine would help?

No matter what- let the landlord know about the roaches. They need to take care of that.

Totally valid point BellaDonna. But right now I am living just by myself so the people below me would not hear anything. Even on the phone people actually have a trouble hearing me so it should not be a problem. One fine day when I get a girlfriend and she comes home.. well.. at that time I will worry about the noise

Congratulations!

I also recommend leaving bright lights on in rooms where you've seen cockroaches, because they usually shun the light. If you have to leave the bathroom lights on all night, so be it. It's better than dreading going in there, especially for fraidy cats like me.

Congratulations!

I also recommend leaving bright lights on in rooms where you've seen cockroaches, because they usually shun the light. If you have to leave the bathroom lights on all night, so be it. It's better than dreading going in there, especially for fraidy cats like me.

sure thing!

Thanks for the suggestion mfan

See? You were all worried and worked up over nothing! It all worked out, and surprisingly fast. Now just keep on them about the roach problem and enjoy your new place!

True!

One thing I did not mention in the thread - when I first saw this place they had both one apartment in the first floor and one apartment in the second floor available. Without even thinking for 5 minutes I chose the one on the first floor simply because the rent for the second floor was $50 more per month. Then when I started seeing issues I felt very guilty and started kicking myself for not thinking carefully before making a decision. The guilt was really bad as I thought I have to live here for an entire year. Also one of the managers initially told me that if I wanted to transfer to another apartment I would have to pay the lease break fee for the current apartment. And the lease break fee was an entire month's rent.

That is why I was wondering and decided to post here to see if anyone else has done this before. Fortunately things worked out well in the end. Now the extra $50 per month doesn't bother me one bit

Archived