Can you ever be friends with your ex.

Rabbit 5

Sorry about my post. I'm trying work out so I have now....

can you ever be friends with your ex or it's always going have trouble.

Is there going be one day that you and your ex can be friends with out the emotions. Be friends like old days, just hang out like mates

I am friends with 2 ex's, but not the "let's hang out" or lets chat type of friend. Friend from a distance so to speak.

This recent ex is attempting friendship and I am still not in that place for the friend zone, so the answer is no.

If it is fresh, it will be hard. If it happened years back, why not.

Is there going be one day that you and your ex can be friends with out the emotions. Be friends like old days, just hang out like mates

Yes, absolutely - you can be friends if/when you are both seriously over the other romantically and no longer desire any kind of romantic closeness. I'm friends with exes!

Sure. If you're both adults about it and there is no desire to go back to any sort of romantic relationship from either side (seriously none!).

I find that the problem is usually the other people in our lives....I could be great friends hang out and like old days with one of my exes but his new gf isn't so comfy with that....so we don't hang out.

I'm starting back as friends with a guy I dated a few months back currently...we'll see how that goes. It's always a bit of a gamble but I think he is great friend material....so it's worth a shot.

I could and I am

I have zero feelings left for them, I would never go back to them (or them me), but if we bump into each other somewhere we still joke, laugh and sometimes if we feel like it go for a coffee, just like I would with a female friend.

I would say usually it doesn't work.

It CAN, but only if both sides are completely done with any feelings other than fond memories. Not just positive/romantic/desire emotions, but negative. Bitterness, even a bit, can taint a friendship, along with resentment and residual anger or lack of trust.

So I wouldn't say it's the norm, since most people don't seem to part company on the same page. That's not to say it can't work for anyone, though.

And yes, I'd say it can be difficult to be more than casual acquaintances if you don't want suspicion to cloud a new relationship. Most people aren't comfortable with super close friends that were exes - and with the average track record, for good reason.

Archived