Study tips?

I am taking 4 online classes: Economics of Business, an English class, child and adolescent development and Human development. For my Human Development class, I need to have read the first 4 chapters from the required book by February 9 or 10th because an exam will be given on those days. I am only on 10 pages from chapter 3. An exam for this class will be posted every 2 weeks. Each exam will be based on 4 chapters. For example, the next exam after February 10th will consist of questions for chapters 5-8 and the next will be 9-12. For my English class, there is a set of assignments due every Sunday. For my business of economics class and for my child and adolescent development class, an exam will be posted at the end of the month for the first 4 chapters. So far, I've read chapter 1 for my child and adolescent book and chapter 2 for my human development book (both required books were written by the same author and the chapters are very similar to one another so it's as though I am reading the same thing). I barely read from my Business of Economics book. The reading from my English textbooks is not as hard as the other textbooks but I am completing the assignments on time. Based on this information, how do you think I should schedule my classes? I want to make an effort with actually reading the assigned chapters for each class because that's the best way I learn. I just don't know how to schedule my time. I don't work so I have all the time in the world. Any ideas?

What I would do, is read the easiest reading stuff before bed, do you take a bus to campus? if so, read a little on the journey. How long does it take you to read, say 10 pages? if it takes 20 mins, read those 10 pages, and take notes on key words, 5 min break, read the next book etc..

When I was at uni I would record myself reading my notes, especially for the harder to understand topics.. That might help? no idea.. good luck

What I would do, is read the easiest reading stuff before bed, do you take a bus to campus? if so, read a little on the journey. How long does it take you to read, say 10 pages? if it takes 20 mins, read those 10 pages, and take notes on key words, 5 min break, read the next book etc..

When I was at uni I would record myself reading my notes, especially for the harder to understand topics.. That might help? no idea.. good luck

I don't go to campus. These classes are all online. I takes me more than 20 minutes to read 10 pages in any of the textbooks because they are textbooks.

Does the professor post outlines or notes on the critical points? This may give you a better idea on which areas are most critical to know. While this won't allow you to skip the reading altogether, it should alleviate the studying/preparation process by giving you a good idea of what to focus in on. Goodluck to you, OP!

Does the professor post outlines or notes on the critical points? This may give you a better idea on which areas are most critical to know. While this won't allow you to skip the reading altogether, it should alleviate the studying/preparation process by giving you a good idea of what to focus in on. Goodluck to you, OP!

Each professor includes PowerPoints

Are you a grad or undergrad? 4 classes for a grad student is a LOT. I personally can't do more than 3 on top of work. If you are an undergrad, then its doable.

If you haven't done so already, get a planner/calendar and mark up all your deadlines for exams, projects, presentations, and papers. A calendar is a visual took to plan out your chapter readings and prepare for upcoming big assignments. I would die without my planner for college. Even if its marked up, you should check due dates online daily.

Along with your readings, take notes. Dont just highlight in the book and put it away. Studies have proven that learners are able to memorize thing they read by actually writing them down. Plus you are able to write questions you have and ask your professor about. I am very OCD with how I note take by using the colored Sharpie pens and write each chapter in different colors. All my class lectures are written in black ink.

Either summarize or write importabt facts sown from the text. This helps for those who rent textbooks and will need their notes for any upcoming classes/career.

I just use the online lecture notes to study for exams. I find they have most of the information about the chapters in the textbook, they are usually covered in point format if the lecturer is a good one. I don't like reading 1000 page textbooks, even though I should.

Thanks for the advice but can anyone help my schedule when I should read for each class? I'm so confused xD

You study based on the testing schedule, the amount you have to prepare and the difficulty you have with the subject. And you hip away at the volume every day. For hours.

How can you be in college and not know this?

I don't know this because I was not taught basic study skills and even if I was, there are different ways students study. One study method might work for one person but the same method might not work for another. Can you believe I didn't even know that high school students in America are able to take college classes? Seems to be common knowledge here but I never knew that.

Archived