best friend

somuchcooler

You are consistently asking the same question:

Family is family.

SO is not family.

Best friend is not family.

If you don't like your family, that is fine. It isn't a rule.

But anyone who grew up in a close family will prioritize family above bf/gf/bff.

You are consistently asking the same question:

Family is family.

SO is not family.

Best friend is not family.

If you don't like your family, that is fine. It isn't a rule.

But anyone who grew up in a close family will prioritize family above bf/gf/bff.

I grew up with a close knit family but that doesn't mean that I don't consider my boyfriend family. People can have close knit families and still consider others as family and prioritize them in the same way. I mean I live with my boyfriend and we have been together a while. My best friend and I have been best friends since the third grade. Family doesn't just have to be by blood or your parents/siblings family is who has been there for you. This quote says it all, "Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs. The ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile, and who love you no matter what."

That is your personal belief system. Most people don't share it.

And you can have "family" that isn't blood. My brothers' best friend from high school, I consider another brother to this day.

But --- as your other threads indicate --- family is family. A category unto itself.

You consider your bf family --- and think that his family should consider you so. And until there is a permanent union...not a "few years"...it won't likely happen.

Well, my best girl friend is basically a sister to me, she has been there for me throughout the years no matter the distance or situation. She's been on numerous family vacations with me and calls my parents her second parents. My blood (half) sister has been a skid mark on my life most of the time, causing raucous arguments and pain and suffering for my parents, contacts me randomly on Facebook through empty linked posts maybe twice a year. So yeah, my best friend is more a part of my family to me than her.

As far as relationships, I don't feel my BF IS family but he feels like a part of it. He currently lives with us, we all do activities, have dinners, he contributes to the household work, we all get along well together, and my family loves that he loves me. So while not being FAMILY, of course, he feels like a part of it.

If you're looking for more concrete answers, family is defined by sharing blood. Or, by being legally bonded by marriage. Technically speaking, nothing else.

I prioritize people according to how they prioritize me. For example, I've had family that have let me down so I don't make much of an effort for them in return. I've had friends who were there for me and I'll be there for them. Basically everyone gets a fair shake and nobody gets an advantage they haven't earned.

Archived