Mixed signals? Guys, can you explain?

colorful

Hi I’d like some opinions on my situation  I asked my guy friends already and I’m getting different viewpoints so thought i’d ask on here too.

It’s a long one cos I want to be as clear as I can. Theres this guy. We study in same department in college and share some lectures tutorials a coupla times a week, I see him usually from a distance and not to talk to really . (either in library, in the halls, lecture hall etc) Every since I’ve met him I have had a bunch of different sigalas from him and can’t figure him out. My main question – why do guys give off mixed signals, and what doe s it normally suggest. Here’s what I’ve had

-frequent staring from accross library/lecture hall (which is soo obvious lol)

-major long eye contact a few times

-one of my friends tell me they see him check me out

- occasional big smile from him when I've seen him on his own around the faculty

Positive right? Attraction at least? I have a gut feeling about the attraction part, but then I get these negatives!

-made small talk at the end of a lecture and he barely spoke back. Quiet and seeming kinda uninterested, almost like me talking to him was annoying him.

-when i smile at him he doesn’t always smile back and instead just looks blankly at me

-i’ve been in situations where he sees me behind him and doesn’t even hold door open!

Its like one day he is showing me he’s attracted and the next it’s like he trying to show the opposite, or like I annoy him or something! This is driving me crazy.

Thoughts?

If he were interested in you, he'd have made small talk, made a thing of holding a door open for you, and would CERTAINLY have returned your smile. It could be, of course, that he has the social skills of a traffic cone and just can't relate to other people - in which case, would you really want to date him?

-made small talk at the end of a lecture and he barely spoke back. Quiet and seeming kinda uninterested, almost like me talking to him was annoying him.

-when i smile at him he doesn’t always smile back and instead just looks blankly at me

-i’ve been in situations where he sees me behind him and doesn’t even hold door open!

The looking means nothing--all men look. None of this ^^^ is good, it's rude.

I can only speak for myself, but rudeness toward me or anyone else is a crush killer.

As a general rule, mixed signals means mild interest at best. It's best not to spend much time thinking about such guys.

True, there are guys who are just shy and given enough provocation, they'll make a move eventually. But that's the exception, not the rule.

No mixed signals, he's just weird and lacks manners.

lol

Just to be clear, I don't have a crush on him, I was just curious about his (as people have pretty much confirmed) weird behavior! What greta96 said seems to sum him up. Thanks for the insights!

I was like him in high school. I would stare at the girls i like, smile when they werent looking, but if they approach i would get upset (i did this soooo many times, and then i kick myself in the head when i got home, all those wasted opportunities), and heelll nooo would i hold a door open for them - i was too chicken for that- doing that alone was like asking me to take a punch in the face. He needs to man-up if thats his issue, or you need a new pair of glasses.

lol

Just to be clear, I don't have a crush on him, I was just curious about his (as people have pretty much confirmed) weird behavior! What greta96 said seems to sum him up. Thanks for the insights!

But still, your curiosity drove you to write out a list of pros and cons AND post it (for the first time it seems? Welcome!!) on a dating forum in the Attraction/Flirting sub topics.

Something about him... SOME thing about him has you this curious... more than any other weirdly behaving male... Whatever it is, why not invite him to the cafeteria for lunch or something?

But still, your curiosity drove you to write out a list of pros and cons AND post it (for the first time it seems? Welcome!!) on a dating forum in the Attraction/Flirting sub topics.

Man I feel so dumb now you say it like that!! seems guys have a way of getting into a girls head! Thanks for advice all

Archived