expression

somuchcooler

but love is thicker than both

ah, good one, shooting star!

I never thought of it before, but it is a silly expression. What does water have to do with it?

Speaking of expressions, this one is silly to me: "You've made your bed, now sleep in it." Really? If it's not comfortable, remake it, or sleep on the floor, or on the couch, or in the car, or under the stars, or sell it and buy another one. You have choices, even if you've made mistakes in the past...

just my 2 cents for the Expressions Department.

"Every day, every member chooses to be part of the family.

First and foremost, family isn’t always blood.

They’re the people in your life who appreciate having you in theirs – the ones who encourage you to improve in healthy and exciting ways, and who not only embrace who you are now, but also embrace and embody who you want to be. Family members can be your best friends. And best friends, whether or not they’re related to you by blood, can be your family.

Family is built with love; it’s not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and formal adoption documents. Families grow from the heart, through mutual love and respect. The only time family becomes nullified is when the ties in the heart are cut. If you cut the ties, these people are not your family. If you build the ties, these people are your family. So build and maintain ties with the right people and nurture them with love every day."

Blood is more viscous than water, and so the saying is a reminder that family ties are stronger.

It's usually said to someone who is putting a non-family member above family (and jeopardising family ties) for someone who is, in a likelihood, temporary.

It's a person's ways of:

- telling you that you've got your priorities in the wrong order,

- reminding you that the person you're prioritizing is unlikely to be around forever but in the meantime you're taking your family for granted (and you'll regret it in the future).

Archived