Does this potential job seem legitimate?

I'm a senior in college. I'm set to graduate this May, and I've been job hunting for a while. I had an internship last summer for a television network, which I loved, but it was all the way accross the country and I'm not quite sure I want to move there permanently just yet, so I've been looking online for similar jobs /internships in my area. I've applied to quite a few different places online--I know this is not the most efficient way to get noticed by employers and such, but I figured it couldn't hurt to just apply.

Recently, I applied for an internship (a position similar to the one I had over the summer, just in my area) from a listing I saw on Craigslist. To my surprise, the employer e-mailed me back the next day asking me to do an interview in a two weeks, as he is out of town next week. I googled the guy, and as far as I can see, the information he provided about his job checks out. I even found out via LinkedIn that he attended graduate school at the school that I'm currently at as an undergrad. Overall, he doesn't seem like a dangerous person or anything like that. What I'm confused about is why this internship was not posted on other career websites such as Indeed or Monster. I have seen listings for other positions from the companies he is affiliated with on all of these websites, yet this particular position was something I only came accross on Craigslist. I guess what I'm asking is... is it normal for an employer to post a job opening on Craigslist and no other type of employment-seeking website?

I know I'm being vague--I haven't said anything about what the position actually is or what companies he works for. I'm doing this because I guess I'm paranoid about this post coming up on a google search or something. I hope I have provided enough information for someone to give feedback.

I know this guy is a legitimate person because when I googled him, all of the companies he claimed to be associated with popped up. I've seen pictures of him. He's done interviews with newspapers, etc. However it just seems odd that this job listing was not found anywhere else rather than Craigslist. Also, it was originally posted 25 days ago, and if this is legitimate, I am a bit surprised the position hasn't been filled yet. I know I am super qualified for the job, but I'm still a bit unsure about it. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Craigslist is extremely 'iffy' on job postings. I would use all of the information you have on him so far to verify that the position is legit. You don't say if you have a company name, address, phone number, email, etc. If you don't have all of this information, then get it or forget it. If he is an employee of a company, that should be easy enough to find out. Call the company and inquire about him and the internship. Drive to the address to see what's there. If he is self-employed, then it is more likely that he would post an ad on CL because it is super easy and fast to do, as opposed to signing up on Monster or something like that.

I have worked for two companies that I found off of Craigslist. One was a private school and the other was a national summer youth program. Both were very legit. Their reason for using Craigslist was because it was very popular back then and they wanted YOUNG people, the main users of that website, to work for them. I got paid $4,000 for working one month from the summer position alone without any issues.

How to tell a legit company:

1. They don't ask you for money. You shouldn't pay an employer to get hired.

2. They have a legitimate website/reputation among the public. Google around for reviews. Check link removed. Find any consumer reports.

3. Request information of the background check company before giving them information to your social security. Get a phone number and contact them. It should be a corporation number.

I'd apply and if you get an interview, judge things then. If he asks you to come to his house or a Starbucks and won't show you the office, then I'd be a bit suspicious.. I would not go to his house at all, lol. I know that some employers conduct interviews at coffee shops but they should always give you a chance to see the office before you accept an offer. I had an interview once at a Starbucks and the woman didn't offer to show me the office.. someone else got the job but I actually didn't care because later I found out the office was gross and dirty, and it was a poor company to work for. Anyway, there are some scams on craigslist but there are some legit things too. One of my clients advertised for freelance writers on there because he didn't want to have to pay to use some of the other sites. He turned out not to be shady. Maybe a bit disorganized but not shady. I'm not sure if you have to pay to use Monster or not. But like another poster said, sometimes people will just use CL because it's easy.

Archived