Girlfriend's Family

georgeee

I know this will sound silly because I'm only young (about to turn 19) but oh well. I've been with my girlfriend for coming up to 3 years now, her parents are Vietnamese but she was born here. My girlfriend thought me being white would be an issue for her mum and so it took over 2 years of us being together before I went against my girlfriend and introduced myself to her mum anyway. Surprisingly it went very well and her mum really loved me, was inviting me round for dinner every day and letting me sleep over and stuff like that. Anyway a few months pass and her mum asks me to go to the party her family are having on Christmas day. So I show up to the party, it was the first time I had met a lot of her family, some of her sisters, her brother, her aunties, all of that lot. Anyway I ended up getting totally smashed and I'm not even sure what I said or did, but I ended up being asked to leave early. Now her over-dramatic controlling brother told her she can never see me again. And her mum doesnt like me anymore and one of her sisters! My girlfriend and the rest of her sisters are fine with me but I'm not allowed to her house anymore and shes not sure if her mum will ever forgive me! I've already apologised to everyone and now I'm not sure what to do now! Any advice or suggestions on how to fix this is much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

just get your girlfriend to 'man up' and stick up for your relationship. you're not 14 or 15. you're both adults. you've been together for 3 years.

of course, you don't HAVE to get along with your GF's family. some inlaws never see eye to eye.

i'm guessing the vietnamese culture is going to make this more difficult to overcome, though.

gl

All you really can do is apologize, and I agree with pokerfan - nobody necessarily has to get along with their significant others' family. It makes things easier sometimes but what's important is that you and her like each other and get along. If you've been together for that long and she is sticking by you that's the important thing.

You might want to ask your girlfriend or her sisters what specifically you said/did... and stay away from the alcohol next time you're around any of them. It is possible that there are other things you could do to make reparations.

Archived