Feeling isolated at work?

So I have a problem that's been bugging me for months now and is only getting worse. I've been at my current job exactly two years now and the entire time I've worked there I have felt so isolated. I'm an engineer so my job doesn't involve a high level of interaction with people, but I do expect to talk to coworkers about issues that are going on or work with others to resolve certain issues etc... It seems like at my company nobody ever talks to each other and just sits in their own cubicles for the entire day. I can literally go days without saying a word to anyone (aside from the good morning/how's it going/small talk at the water cooler). Most communication is sent via email and rather than have a meeting to discuss something it seems that people would rather just send a barrage of emails which to me is way more inefficient than just sitting down to discuss issues. The isolation is really getting to me mentally and I feel like I'm slowly going insane at this job. Has anyone experienced a work place environment like this? I've been trying to find another job for a few months but with no luck so I do have a long term plan... I just need some suggestions of how I can deal in the short term without going insane.

Have a life, friends, and hobbies outside of work. At work you are not being paid to socialize, you are paid and expected to do your work and that's that. Ultimately, if the work culture is not sitting well with you, then all you can do is keep looking for another job where you will be happier.

I walked into a work environment like that and yes...it is isolating

So, instead of replying to the emails...I would jot down notes as the answers and then hunt up the person... and go to their cubicle. Then I would tell them I had all the info they needed and say "why don't we grab a cup of coffee and go over this...then you can get clarity on any further questions!. Eventually....coffee became lunch. Others started to ask if they could come along.

Viola' ....change in office environment!

Have a life, friends, and hobbies outside of work. At work you are not being paid to socialize, you are paid and expected to do your work and that's that. Ultimately, if the work culture is not sitting well with you, then all you can do is keep looking for another job where you will be happier.

I do have many friends and hobbies outside of work. I go out almsot every night doing something and on weekends. I'm not looking to socialize with coworkers, just want to make communication easier so I can get my job done.

I walked into a work environment like that and yes...it is isolating

So, instead of replying to the emails...I would jot down notes as the answers and then hunt up the person... and go to their cubicle. Then I would tell them I had all the info they needed and say "why don't we grab a cup of coffee and go over this...then you can get clarity on any further questions!. Eventually....coffee became lunch. Others started to ask if they could come along.

Viola' ....change in office environment!

I do try to do this when I can. What bugs me is when people make decisions just sitting their cubes without involving others on the project and I don't find out until much later. It's very frustrating and makes me feel like I can never get anything done.

Pursue more of the water cooler talk you're dismissing. It's the way to form bonds.

I'd use those opportunities to talk about health and the need to step away from the monitor a few times a day. Suggest that you'll be taking a walk at 11 or 3 and invite others to join you.

I'm part of a group that walks the property every day at noon and 3. There are always at least 2 of us, often more than 10, and this habit started when our company wellness committee got a break in insurance costs by introducing pedometers and a walking program.

You can speak with HR about sponsoring something like this, or you can just do it for its own sake. Recruiting even one person is good, but adding more people over time ensures you'll each have someone to walk with whenever others need to do something else at those times.

Walking side by side is the best way to hold informal, non-confrontational meetings. We often resolve someone's issue, or at least return to our desks more productive for the energy and eyeball rest.

You can't single-handedly change a culture, but you can form informal bonds that will change your own daily experiences and your perception of the culture. Take baby steps.

Archived