Lost in life

JoeAugs

I'm joe. I'm 18. I was in college. I was in army rotc. I'm confused and don't know what to do. I'm not the brightest, but I'm capable of most tasks I set my mind to. I dropped out of my university. It was a catholic one and quite honestly, one of the worst experiences I've had so far. I've had some pretty bad ones and this one is up there. I commuted everyday and tried to make friends and join clubs and do lots of things to branch out and explore. The friends I made transferred out of the school. I'm ostracized for not enjoying the school or the classes. The professors aren't driven and there's a lack of discussion in basically all of my classes. A lot of people are nice, but making friends is practically impossible. I couldn't stay there anymore so I left. The tuition is not worth it. My dad got hurt and lost his job and I'm trying to pick up the slack and I got two jobs and I could use another. My parents don't understand my choices and I don't understand mine either. I suck at relationships and I'm just lost. I enjoy reading and working out and I'm in decent shape and I'm trying to figure thins out. I know I want to be an army officer, but I can't even pick a good school. I enjoy challenges, but I've been challenged in everything I've done since I was like 2. I'm trying to let life take me on it's course, but I feel like I'm damaging my future horrifically. I don't care about money and all that. I just wanna do my service and teach history afterwards and no one has helped me or showed me how to achieve this. I'm trying, but it's hard to support your family, try to go to school, go to PT at 4:30 in the am, have work, and get 4 hours of sleep if I'm lucky. I couldn't do that and I feel like I let my family down. I'm just trying to take care of everyone and I'm trying to work on my future, but idk why everything is going as horribly as it can. I just need advice for once.

I'm 18. I'm capable of most tasks I set my mind to. I've got two jobs. I enjoy reading and working out and I'm in decent shape. I know I want to be an army officer. I enjoy challenges. I'm trying to let life take me on it's course.

You're 18, now is not the time to have it all figured out. We never have it figured out. You've got a lot going for you, but you may be overwhelmed at the moment. Go easy on yourself, respect where you are. Keep up on reading and working out. I hear that it's a bit of a struggle right now, but you can only do what you can do. Don't expect yourself to be more than human. You're doing well.

Why not go enlisted and after become officer like other great officers? It's longer road, but you can do it if you put mind into it.

You will have stable job with military that can help you provide for family, you can take classes while in the service and after become officer.

A couple of things to comment here...

1. You haven't lived your life yet and you still have time to figure stuff out. I didn't have it together until I was 20. I am almost 30, the economy is in really bad shape and caused me to go back to school.I am STILL trying to figure things out, but I intend on following my passion: working with children and those with learning disabilities.

2. Not everyone is fit for college. Education is not a cookie cutter aspect: its what you make of it. If your professors aren't bringing the discussion, then why aren't you? Its not their responsibility to make it interesting: it is your education and what you make of it that matters in the end. Discuss current events that are related to the subject in the class. Look and apply learning outside of the box. If this is not for you, look at trade school. Completely different classroom environment.

3. I feel you on the friend aspect in college. I joined clubs too and there were many I didn't connect with. The only ones that I did were ones that did volunteer work. There are college clubs at there that are unorganized and just there as a "hang out"- avoid those. You want to be in more active clubs that provide ample opportunities to build relationships with the members.

4. A note on teaching: any humanity level teaching has HIGH job competition. I am in this now for the 5th year in a row. Anything that as to do with music, art, history, and English are super competitive because the jobs in those fields lead straight to teaching. You have to know how to manage a classroom of children which is the hardest aspect of teaching. If you want to teach at a college, you will need a PhD or a masters to qualify for community college level. However... I will say that one of my most favorite history teachers was my college professor who was about 80 years old and a WWII and Korean War vet because he had the best stories to share from his time. He kept me awake for 8 am classes.

Take some basic freshman classes at a community college to save money. It will help you figure out what you want to do while you get your basic courses out of the way.

Well Joe, here's the strange thing about life- no matter how old you are, you'll never have it all figured out. I turned 26 last month, have had a girlfriend & an awesome career for the last 6 years. I still can't figure out what I'm doing..

Pick a couple short term goals, easily obtainable, that can serve as stepping stones to larger goals, way down the road. Always keep at the small goals and 5-10 years down the road, you'll be finishing up the larger goals.

It's very nice of you to help pickup the slack while your dad is out of work. Don't kill yourself on minimum wage. Your dad probably has a valuable trade by this point in his life, and it would be more beneficial to help him tune up his resume and find another job (instead of trying to work 3 jobs). You need to keep your education in your line of sight until you find a way to make sustainable income without a degree.

When I was just a little other than you, I began asking myself what my hobbies were or things I enjoyed, and more importantly could any of them make me money. It just so happened that everyone always wanted me to work on their computers, so I became an IT guy. I've returned to college several times and dropped out each time. I'm finding now that it just isn't for me. We must blaze our own trails...

Archived