what the hell do I need to do to get a job???

shelty24

I have gotten professional advice and improved my resume. I am unemployed for almost 3 months! What else do I need to do? I have applied for nearly 1000 jobs! This is driving me crazy! Should I put a picture of me on my CV? I am a good looking girl. Will this help? I cant stand being at home anymore! I hate this!

I havn't gotten one interview even though my resume is good!

If you haven't gotten any interviews, your resume is not good or you are applying for entirely the wrong positions. I'm also skeptical of the claim that you've applied for ten positions a day, every day, for three months.

If you'd like, PM me or post up a copy of your resume with all personal/identifiable information redacted and I/everyone might be able to identify possible problems. If you do that, it would be useful to know what sort of positions you've been applying for.

You could be either under or over qualified for positions you are applying for. Have you tried link removed? My friend was having problems finding a job bc she had been out of work to long. She finally got a job at a place she was volunteering at. Some positions came open and her resume was slipped on top and she was hired she did have a degree though..

Im in ireland. I did apply for over a thousand but around 500 of those were cvs just posted to companies that were not currently hiring. The rest were to places looking for someone now

I got professional advice from a hr manager who helped me to change around my cv and word it more professionally but still no luck.

I am getting more and more depressed.

Some of the jobs I applied for, I prob didn't have the experience they were looking for but the last 10 jobs were sales which I have 3 years experience in and still no luck

Just applying online will get you no where. You need to go there and ask to speak to the manager and personally hand in your resume, or know someone who can recommend you.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Im in ireland. I did apply for over a thousand but around 500 of those were cvs just posted to companies that were not currently hiring. The rest were to places looking for someone now

I got professional advice from a hr manager who helped me to change around my cv and word it more professionally but still no luck.

I am getting more and more depressed.

I'm not too familiar with the work situation in Ireland but I'm in Darwin (Australia) and the city is (not literally) half-full of Irish guys and girls. From what I gathered talking to a few the job market is rooted (not sure why) and they've all come to Australia to work for that reason.

I'm not sure what your boyfriend's situation is and whether it's a completely ludicrous suggestion to emigrate, but there are a substantial number of Irishmen/women of our generation who have decided that that is their best option.

I'm not too familiar with the work situation in Ireland but I'm in Darwin (Australia) and the city is (not literally) half-full of Irish guys and girls. From what I gathered talking to a few the job market is rooted (not sure why) and they've all come to Australia to work for that reason.

I'm not sure what your boyfriend's situation is and whether it's a completely ludicrous suggestion to emigrate, but there are a substantial number of Irishmen/women of our generation who have decided that that is their best option.

In Canada too. Seeing a lot of the Irish over here for work.

I have gotten professional advice and improved my resume. I am unemployed for almost 3 months! What else do I need to do? I have applied for nearly 1000 jobs! This is driving me crazy! Should I put a picture of me on my CV? I am a good looking girl. Will this help? I cant stand being at home anymore! I hate this!

it's takes three things to find a job in 2014 and the main 2 things is Timing and Patience. The third thing is usually Luck but as long as you maintain patience you will be fine. Also start trying new strategies and see how they work. Some of the new things I tried that worked was

Shorting Cover Letters

Applying to Jobs at 7pm in the evening

Applying with only half a resume...........gets the reader attention and they ask where is the rest

Hang in there

it's takes three things to find a job in 2014 and the main 2 things is Timing and Patience. The third thing is usually Luck but as long as you maintain patience you will be fine. Also start trying new strategies and see how they work. Some of the new things I tried that worked was

Shorting Cover Letters

Applying to Jobs at 7pm in the evening

Applying with only half a resume...........gets the reader attention and they ask where is the rest

Hang in there

Sending half your resume works? I might have to try that sometime! I wonder why 7 pm rather than later.. it would still be in the receiver's inbox the next morning. I'm just curious to know (if you do)!

Sending half your resume works? I might have to try that sometime! I wonder why 7 pm rather than later.. it would still be in the receiver's inbox the next morning. I'm just curious to know (if you do)!

sending at 7pm separates from all the other resumes that came in during business hours.

Do you have a Linkedin account that you can add to your resume?

You shouldn't be applying for that many jobs. It's a waste of time. You're just flooding the market with your cv and devaluing yourself.

Finding a job is like dating. Both parties are looking. While you might be trying to find an open job. They're not going to hire someone who's just offering their goods to everyone.

You mention that your CV has been tweaked, but your cover letter also gets you interviewed. And if you've been applying for that many jobs, I can't see how you could be sending out a good tailored cover letter to all of them.

I wouldn't apply for more than 5 jobs a week, and I'd make sure they were jobs that I was a great fit for. I'd focus on showing that I'm a great fit with a good cover letter.

Barring that, the job market in Ireland can't be that great. If you're under 30, maybe you should take it as a sign to go on a working holiday!

sending at 7pm separates from all the other resumes that came in during business hours.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. I agree with the others that 5 resumes per week is a good number. When I was last looking I could barely find 5 jobs per week that I would want or that I was qualified for. I remember my friend said he applied for 75 jobs in one day, and I was like, how the heck?! lol. I think he applied for pretty much anything though. Any store, any restaurant, etc. while I was more choosy.

I'm somewhere in between. My goal is 3 applications per day, five days per week, though I've fallen a bit short. I've been unemployed for seven weeks, sent out 63 resumes. Most of them were for open positions with a customized cover letter. So far, I've been on 7 face-to-face interviews with 2 more coming up next week. Only one was a second interview. I've had many more phone interviews but I don't count them unless they lead to an in-person meeting. I guess that's about a 15% response rate. I'm in the Northeast United States.

It really sucks and I empathize with everyone's pain! I hope and pray this is over soon.

Thanks guys for all your responses. lots of helpful suggestions. Before christmas I was applying everywhere. Sent my cv to lots of good companies that offer good career prospects. I have slowed down though and am only applying for jobs now that I like and feel I would be very good at.

Most the people emigrating are fresh out of school or college and have no experience. I am 24 but have ten years experience plus qualifications. My bf has a good job here and can support us both for awhile. Plus I am claiming my stamp. It covers half the rent and a few bills.

I can apply for an internship in february if I dont have a job by then. Its 6months experience for an extra 50euro per week. If I get one close to home that wont cost petrol it would be worth it. I can also go back to college by night in september if I pick up a job in the meantime.

I dont want to move as we are settled here, have close family near by and i am very close to my little sister. Shes 12 and I couldnt abandon her. She needs me as my dad is an alcho and we have a dog who would have to come with us (lol i couldnt leave her behind)

My cover letter is good. It states some of my best qualities, experience and why I would be a good candidate.

The best you can do to get a sales job (Middle and Higher level) is networking, though I am not sure what kind of sales job you are looking for.

If you provide bit more information than just that you are looking for a job for over three months, it would help.

Do some research on the firm and then personalise your resume.

Have multiple resume to fit multiple industries etc. Same goes for the cover letter.

Ask your friends to review your resume and cover letter.

Three month is not bad in today economy.

Good luck!!!

Just applying online will get you no where. You need to go there and ask to speak to the manager and personally hand in your resume, or know someone who can recommend you.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I would not do that. Ever place I have worked, when someone comes in and drops off their resume like that the manager sees them has completely behind the times. Not only that but you are interrupting their day and taking time away from whatever they need to get done. Most often the person is turned away and told to apply online.

I would not do that. Ever place I have worked, when someone comes in and drops off their resume like that the manager sees them has completely behind the times. Not only that but you are interrupting their day and taking time away from whatever they need to get done. Most often the person is turned away and told to apply online.

I agree, instead of doing that you have to find out what link does your family or friends have to the hiring manager at that place. If there is no link then you have create your own link by seeing if they are on linkedin and members of any groups so you can join.

Archived