Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

I don't like the rain

quirky

I really don't like rain. I find it vey awkward, I get wet, my hair frizzes up, I can never afford a very sturdy and decent umbrella and even if I do it only protects the top of me while my feet get wet.

I try to see the positive side of it that the plants grow but apart from that I just really dislike it. I get in a bad mood and pissed off when it rains and I have very good temper overall. I can usually see the funny side or positive side of things but with rain I can't.

Can anyone suggest an angle I can look at this from, a different perspective?

Thanks!

Get a pair of rubber boots, that takes care of the soggy feet situation. Also, this sounds nuts, but a couple of years ago I bought a yellow umbrella and I have to say, it lightened my mood whenever I used it, It sort of felt like the sun was shining when I had it over my head. Even better of it's a golf umbrella, there's way more coverage with a golf umbrella.

If this is your biggest complaint...you are very lucky.

LOL, I thought the same thing too! lol. OP, there's no point in letting a little rain get you down. It's out of your hands, out of your control and nothing you can do about it. No point in fighting against nature. Get the appropriate wet weather gear that everyone wears and that's it. Rain? Can't change it, so go out and embrace it.

Key: Pointless.

Thanks happybear! I did buy a huge dark pink umbrella and it does look nice but doesn't fit in the bag. Maybe I should invest in some different shoes. I am way too poor though

If this is your biggest complaint...you are very lucky.

It's not but I wish! Then I'd be very lucky.

Key: Pointless.

That's why I put it in off topic.

It's out of your hands, out of your control and nothing you can do about it.

THIS is the problem I have with it. It's out of my control ! ! I hate things out of my control.

Can't change it, so go out and embrace it.

That's what I want, to embrace it. But don't know how...how can I see the good side to it? Maybe make something fun around it..I wear glasses too and the rain falls on them.

That's why I put it in off topic.

I meant it was pointless having all this stress/anxiety (or whatever one wants to call it) over rain, because there's NOTHING you can do about it. If it rains, you accept the fact that it's raining, put on all the appropriate wet weather gear and do what you have to do.

Millions of people wear glasses - use an umbrella and that almost always stops raindrops falling on glasses.

Omg, mhowe I am rolling.. too funny !!

Listen..I know it's a random thread, I know it's crazy it pisses me off, but it does somehow.

there's NOTHING you can do about it.

crap.

Maybe I should invest in different clothes, more waterproof.

^ There ya go!! Now you're thinking! lol. I would have thought anyone/everyone living in the UK would have tons of appropriate wet weather gear, lol.

Ya I would think so too, lol, I'm in Canada and have 3 different pairs of winter boots and three different winter coats, and I switch them up depending on how cold/snowy it is outside, because it is winter for most of the year, so winter clothes are important.

Well, if you're in the UK, the first thing you could try is moving somewhere it doesn't rain so much (or at all). If that's not feasible, then look into getting colourful rain gear. Umbrellas don't have to be black, neither do rain coats or boots. Maybe if you had cute or fun stuff to wear when it rains, you'd feel better about it. There's nothing you can do about the weather, except deal with it.

have 3 different pairs of winter boots and three different winter coats

I have 1 coat, long black nice one and I have had it for 5 years, I doubt I could afford a coat but maybe I will look at a discount place. I have 1 pair of waterproof boots with low heel, maybe I'll wear them today and change my shoes at work (I have to wear black flat shoes at work). I don't wear trousers, jeans, bulk-ish boots, sporty jackets, wooly hats. That's the issue. My style is not suitable for rain. I wear dresses/skirts with low heels.

I have some wellies but they don't go with any of my clothes, it's like 50s style dress with wellies.

I hate the rain too! I just avoid going out in the rain. Though I recently moved to a new place, and I seriously underestimated how strong it can rain over here hahaha. I went to the store and the sky was clear, then I walked out and it was pouring. I had brought a little umbrella with me, and I had felt all proud of myself for remembering to bring an umbrella, and it was useless! hahaha. The wind just turned it inside out and I got drenched.

I don't really have any advice. Just wanted to say that you're not alone on this issue... >_>

quirky bumbalina

this is what you need to do

"don't give a crap anymore" haha

and you do that by flinging on your layers .. a big coat with a hood , put your hood up and your scarf round your neck to keep your hood up , like when we were 7 hahah a pair of gloves on , no unbrella , your wellies and just don't care ...

I am about to do this because I need to get to tesco's haha

I have a love/hate relationship with the rain. I hate it when I am tired and don't want to wake up early in the morning for work. It makes me want to stay in bed. I get the best sleep ever when it rains. I hate what it can do to my hair when I iron it straight- I end up with a curly frizz head in minutes. I hate when it ruins planned cookouts, beach days, and boating days.

But rain can also be cozy and romantic. I adore thunder storms.

I have 1 coat, long black nice one and I have had it for 5 years, I doubt I could afford a coat but maybe I will look at a discount place. I have 1 pair of waterproof boots with low heel, maybe I'll wear them today and change my shoes at work (I have to wear black flat shoes at work). I don't wear trousers, jeans, bulk-ish boots, sporty jackets, wooly hats. That's the issue. My style is not suitable for rain. I wear dresses/skirts with low heels.

I have some wellies but they don't go with any of my clothes, it's like 50s style dress with wellies.

Try used clothing stores for coats, and I agree with shooting star that you need to not give a crap anymore what you look like. I don't care anymore how ridiculous I look wearing wellies or my giant Sorels with business attire, I don't care if I look like a dork with my pants rolled-up or tucked into my boots. I really dislike cold wet feet, and wet pants.

I love the rain, i love the sound of rain beating on the ground, windows and doors. I love hearing the wind, or the cool chill that follows a rainfall. I even like the darkness that covers the city when a rainfall happens, i just think its beautiful. Even in a city like new york, nature will still show its there by passing by with rainfalls, even if underneath it it is just concrete and steel, i still feel like it rejuvenates everything.

Ah, get an absolutely smashing fun pair of rain boots so that every time it rains, you see it as a celebration and chance to wear the boots! There are so many cute and fun rain boots these days, and you can easily slip a pair of other shoes into your bag when you get inside.

And say yes to rain domes! You can get some that are quite serious and go all the way down your back so you don't get very wet. Or buy a rain slicker that you can fold up and carry with you for really rainy days where you might get soaked.

I actually enjoy the rain because it hydrates your skin and lungs and actually reduces viruses, and nothing is better than curling up with a book or a movie on a rainy day!

And if you truly truly hate the rain, do as some people do and move to a climate that has very little rain. Then you'll miss it! I moved to a desert climate for work once for a year and half and one stretch went 6 weeks without a drop of rain. But I was CONSTANTLY sick with cold after cold, because dry air means your sinuses are drier and more susceptible to infection. And I always felt parched and dehydrated. So it was a quandary, all that sun, yet I had cold after cold due to the dryness and felt TOO dry for comfort. And your skin itches constantly from not enough moisture in the air and you are slathering on lotions and creams to try to rehydrate and stop the itching. So a dry climate has its drawbacks.

The English are know for their beautiful complexions and looking 5-10 years younger than those who live in more sunny climes, where the sun and dryness leads to wrinkles and age spots. So that is another virtue to rain, it keeps your complexion youthful and as you age, you will look much younger than those who live in sunnier/dryer climates.

I love the rain, i love the sound of rain beating on the ground, windows and doors. I love hearing the wind, or the cool chill that follows a rainfall. I even like the darkness that covers the city when a rainfall happens, i just think its beautiful. Even in a city like new york, nature will still show its there by passing by with rainfalls, even if underneath it it is just concrete and steel, i still feel like it rejuvenates everything.

I agree, everything is fresher after a good rain, I feel like it's a good cleaning, lol. Though, I have this magical ability to predict when it's going to rain, I get headaches up to a day prior to rain. I'm pretty accurate too, it's my super power To bad Quirky that I don't live in your town, I would be able to tell you when it is going to rain so that you would always be prepared

I had brought a little umbrella with me, and I had felt all proud of myself for remembering to bring an umbrella, and it was useless! hahaha.

This is so familiar..

I have a love/hate relationship with the rain. I hate it when I am tired and don't want to wake up early in the morning for work. It makes me want to stay in bed. I get the best sleep ever when it rains. I hate what it can do to my hair when I iron it straight- I end up with a curly frizz head in minutes. I hate when it ruins planned cookouts, beach days, and boating days.

But rain can also be cozy and romantic. I adore thunder storms.

My thoughts exactly!

Regarding moving to a hot climate that is a possibility for me eventually as I am from a hot country, I am not British. When I was in my home country I liked the rain because it was this different thing once in a while making me contemplative and melancholic. Now it is this unexpected thing that happens almost every second day and ruins stuff.

I will invest in some different clothes though happybear I have a feeling you don't give a crap because you are slim..? I am not, and those kind of bulky clothes make me look much bigger. I feel very self conscious wearing stuff like that, it's just not me at all. I am not being a princess here because I have bought the wellies to do conservation work. Wearing those bulky casual clothes is like wearing an extremely low cut top, I'd feel very self conscious in that too and not 'me'. Maybe I can find a fun raincoat, those see through ones. I have a nice black vintage hat, I can wear that if it's not windy.

I think I might write a song to sing or a little dance to dance when it rains. I need to inject some fun to something that annoys me. Then I might accept it more or even look forward to the entertainment!

Exactly the same for me. When it rains...I go with the "unable to control" feeling it brings. It forces you to forget your plans. It has a life of its own...and then, so do I.

I deliberately go out in the rain knowing I'll get wet. I like having my hair flick and stick in my face, become a mess, my glasses getting speckled or dripping, fogging up (the only time I like that.) I love its cleansing by ruining everything. It's wild. It's letting go.

Maybe some day, when you have nowhere you have to be dressed up for, don some clothes that aren't meant to be neat and tidy...and go out there just to play with it, knowing it will not leave you intact and that's the point. It's really freeing.

Rain is my friend.

I actually don't mind it if it's heavy. Then I feel that cleansing thing too. Once I took my shoes off too and walked barefoot in the rain, head looking up the sky.

If it's heavy and I know it then I can go out prepared. I dislike it when it just rains a bit or suddenly during the day.

I looked up some rain gear. I found some boots. I can't afford them at the moment but it is something to consider. I also saw this leopard waterproof onesie in a shop today, I was tempted but thought it's a bit of a mad outfit..

Archived