I need to vent...Is it REALLY this hard to find work nowadays?

sg84

I beat myself over and over. It's depressing. I wonder if I'm just an idiot and that's why nobody will give me a chance, or if it's just really THAT bad out there for everyone?

I have a bachelor's degree and 6 years of professional experience before I had to move for my husband's job. Since October 2013 I've put 135 applications in. I've had probably 10 companies make preliminary contact with me to inform me more about the job just to learn they only pay $9-$10 per hour, which is not feasible for me at all. My last job offer I had 2 years ago was for $18 per hour, and I haven't worked at wage at $9-$10 per hour since I was a teenager. I've had 4 interviews at 4 different companies and was not offered anything. Truth is, not even 100% certain I'd want those jobs because they weren't all that great but I was trying to keep an open mind but I thought it would be nice to get an offer even if I had the opportunity to turn the job down. I prepare so much for these interviews, I plan what to say, rehearse, I dress very nice in fact I just bought a whole new outfit which was super expensive. I come out of these interviews feeling like I did a good job. But I get nothing in return.

My bachelor's degree is in Media Arts, I have one graphic design internship under my belt, a 5 year stint working as a graphic designer at a print company, and then another year under my belt working as a marketing coordinator.

I just don't know what to do but I'm so tired of not making money. Depressed, at my wits end. Wondering if things will ever work out.

it IS really tough out there right now and you are not alone. Can you do some freelance work? Would you consider changing careers to something that is more in demand? The market is so fluid..there are jobs...but some schools are turning out grads in "professions" faster than there are jobs...

If i were you, I would recommend volunteering and trying to stay active and engaged in your community as best you can in the interim...

I know its hard but you will find something eventually. My brother in law has been unemployed for a year and a half...and he has a law degree...

Keep looking and take the next job even if it.pays less. The.longer you are out.of the market, the Staler.your experience becomes. And if your experience shines through once you have a.job the.pay will increase with your next promotion.

The hourly rate for your industry can differ from location to location. What the pay in Chicago is not what they pay in Kansas City.

I hate to tell you this but graphic design is a declining field in the occupational outlooks. So the number of jobs are declining in that field and projected to face stiff competition for jobs:

link removed

That doesn't mean all is lost, but it does mean that you may need to return to school eventually to translate your skills into something that is more readily employable and a growing field rather than a declining one. For example, you could become a web developer/web designer who uses your skills in art etc. in a field that is growing rather than declining. So it may be time to use your employment to take online classes and get a second degree or certification in computer related web design rather than just a media arts degree/graphic designer.

In today's world, things change at a very rapid rate, and if you want to stay employable, you need to choose fields that are forward looking and in demand, and get new training when necessary to keep you current and in demand. That is a normal expectation these days, that people will actually change career paths several times in their lifetime in order to keep up with job market demand. I've unfortunately read in many places in recent years that graphic design is a dying field, and it will be more and more difficult to find jobs and be well paid there. So you need to get trained in a better field than that.

It's an over saturated competitive market out there. As already pointed out, be sure your pay expectations are realistic for your new location. What you have earned in recent past is quite frankly irrelevant. You have to be willing to start somewhere and put your all into it. Any type of "I'm too good to work here for this measly amount" attitude shines through in interviews and employers will stay away from that. Many many employers take the attitude of "prove what you can do before I pay you more". Also, the more time passes by with you doing nothing, the less employable you are becoming. A long break from work in your field makes you obsolete. Technology, trends, software, concepts are changing too rapidly for employers to even consider someone who has been out of work for too long. So take whatever you can get your hands on - contract work, freelancing, $9.00/hr work, take up a project for free with some start up, etc. You have to keep your foot in it. Go to some professional networking groups. They always have a bunch of web design and marketing people there. Network with them. See if they can you use you for anything or know someone who might need you, etc. Don't worry about pay, be willing to show your worth first and the pay will come.

Finally, invest in a stellar portfolio of your work examples.

Not for what I do, it's always been super easy. Problem is today people have this lofty expectation they can go to school for what interests them and then expect a career. The reality is employers pay for what is in demand and if you don't have those skills, then it's hard to find a job - you lose. It's a very practical matter. Think it's hard to find a job? Ask a nurse of IT person.

Well - when was the last time you revised/reviewed your resume and cover letter? One typo, all over the place written diarrhea, generic statements - you don't stand out.

Keep in mind, when they see a huge gap in work history, you come off as kryptonite. Take a job for now that has potential, benefits, an awesome team, and keep applying until you find the one you really want.

I'm in the North East of the US - to be honest, there are tons of jobs, but a lot of companies may not have tons of money. Stay flexible, and stay current!! Don't be afraid to negotiate your salary too!

Oh, and I have people with their Masters only requesting $30K - so if there is room for advancement and growth - don't shy away from it.

Pl3asehelp nailed it. There are plenty of jobs to be had, but there are few growing industries.

You said you did graphic design, do you know any CSS? If you've done graphic design, you must be at least savvy with computer basics. Maybe try getting a job on a help desk, they're pretty easy to get, and the pay and benefits are typically pretty good.

it IS really tough out there right now and you are not alone. Can you do some freelance work? Would you consider changing careers to something that is more in demand? The market is so fluid..there are jobs...but some schools are turning out grads in "professions" faster than there are jobs...

If i were you, I would recommend volunteering and trying to stay active and engaged in your community as best you can in the interim...

I know its hard but you will find something eventually. My brother in law has been unemployed for a year and a half...and he has a law degree...

Yeah that's what i had to do, change fields because the options for my field were vanishing and I needed to continue eating and paying rent.

Archived