Bad interview but got a call back?

Well---- she clearly knew your range and their offering ---- so I would be kinda ticked at her.

However, if you were the best candidate and this "media blitz" is looming --- they should come back with an offer. In the big scheme of things, it isn't

that much. And you clearly know what you are talking about as opposed to all the nitnoids who think tweeting is "social media"!!!!

You should here in a day or so. And if you don't, call her.

Well---- she clearly knew your range and their offering ---- so I would be kinda ticked at her.

However, if you were the best candidate and this "media blitz" is looming --- they should come back with an offer. In the big scheme of things, it isn't

that much. And you clearly know what you are talking about as opposed to all the nitnoids who think tweeting is "social media"!!!!

You should here in a day or so. And if you don't, call her.

And that is EXACTLY why I am annoyed. I took the time off work to drive 2 1/2-3 hours to interview and then drive back. I was SHOCKED that she would even mention paying me 10K less than what I make now.

She gets paid to get you to take the lowest offer possible.

And she looks like an idiot when she gets people in there to go thru the interview process that are clearly a perfect match --- and they (you) walk away over

salary. Hold strong.

I know you hate your current job --- but try not to roll over on the salary. It should be a lateral move ----

She gets paid to get you to take the lowest offer possible.

And she looks like an idiot when she gets people in there to go thru the interview process that are clearly a perfect match --- and they (you) walk away over

salary. Hold strong.

I know you hate your current job --- but try not to roll over on the salary. It should be a lateral move ----

I definitely hate my current job and want out, but I couldn't accept a low ball offer like that. I made it clear to her that I have bills to pay and unlike some people my age, I don't have my parent's to help me. There is no way at all for me to even pay the bills I have on that salary. I'd even be pushing it accepting what I make now since I would be paying for a one-bedroom apartment by myself, since roommates don't work for me.

I'm trying to hold strong. I am just a little bit upset that I felt SO CLOSE to being able to leave my current position. I thought all the ducks were in a row, especially since I gave my requirements upfront and was still invited to move forward. Now I feel like it was all just a cruel joke, because as close as I was, I don't feel confident in them coming back and giving me a better offer.

After reading all of these latest responses, including yours, I would definitely pass without a higher offer. I know it is frustrating to drive that far for an interview and then be offered something which is much less than you expected, and may even seem like an insult. I AM entry level so I would be happy with 30k, but if I drove that far for an interview and they offered me minimum wage, I'd feel a bit gypped!

After reading all of these latest responses, including yours, I would definitely pass without a higher offer. I know it is frustrating to drive that far for an interview and then be offered something which is much less than you expected, and may even seem like an insult. I AM entry level so I would be happy with 30k, but if I drove that far for an interview and they offered me minimum wage, I'd feel a bit gypped!

Look, my first job out of college was 28k. I took a huge hit by accepting that job. I was making AWESOME money working as a cocktail waitress but I knew that the experience would pay off. About 2 years later and I'm in the 40s. I won't accept an entry-level salary because I'm not entry-level. It is a slap in the face. I have about 2 1/2 years of actual experience but since I was thrown into a lot of upper management responsibilities in my current position, I think my knowledge level is much higher than 2 years.

And you hit it right on the head. The fact that I took the time off work, plus the cost to drive there and back, only to be told that they wanted to pay 10k less than what I make now......SERIOUSLY?!

Look, my first job out of college was 28k. I took a huge hit by accepting that job. I was making AWESOME money working as a cocktail waitress but I knew that the experience would pay off. About 2 years later and I'm in the 40s. I won't accept an entry-level salary because I'm not entry-level. It is a slap in the face. I have about 2 1/2 years of actual experience but since I was thrown into a lot of upper management responsibilities in my current position, I think my knowledge level is much higher than 2 years.

And you hit it right on the head. The fact that I took the time off work, plus the cost to drive there and back, only to be told that they wanted to pay 10k less than what I make now......SERIOUSLY?!

Totally agree.

Yeah that's sounds odd after you told them your salary range. And I don't blame you for not wanting to take a $10,000 pay cut. That's way too much.

Exactly. I can't believe they would even offer it.

I keep stressing about whether or not they would come back with a counter offer. I'm really interested in the position and I think I would excel at it. It just doesn't make sense that they need someone in there ASAP and would pass on someone who is clearly qualified without trying to negotiate.

Amanda - I'm a little confused - did they actually offer you this position? Because usually when a company gets that far, they have checked your references and have a lot of time and effort invested in you. They don't want that all to go to waste - so if you get the offer in writing, and then say "Do you think you could increase by 4K?" they may be more apt to meet you at a higher level because mentally, they've already envisioned you as part of the team.

Until you get a written offer, don't even give salary another thought.

And believe me, I feel your pain about combative interviewing! I was just on an interview today for a position that I know is about $10K less than what I was previously making (which I'm prepared to accept - I'm unemployed.) Although they spent over an hour speaking with me, not one of my answers seemed to resonate. It was like a firing squad, just question after question, stone-faced. What a waste of time!

I was not given an official offer letter.

The conversation was the recruiter telling me they wanted to move forward but the problem was that I required a salary high in the 40s but they only budgeted in the low to mid 30s. She wanted to know if I would accept the budgeted salary and when I said no, she asked if I would accept a lateral move.

So what did you say? I'm not quite sure what lateral move would make you as much money, unless you were applying for a lesser-position.(?) I just assumed you're interviewing for a position that is a step above what you've been doing. So unless you're trying to break into a new area (in which case you really may need to accept a lower salary in order to change careers until you gain experience in the new field) a lateral move would somehow mean that you would make more than the desired position? Maybe more explanation is needed here.

End result is, you don't have an offer. Always verbally accept the salary range they suggest. After receiving it in writing, say something to the effect of "I'm really interested in the position and I believe my skills and experience are worth x. Can you attempt to meet me closer to my desired range?"

Remember, you can always walk away from an offer.

Well maybe you don't verbally accept the specific salary, just be vague and say "I'll consider offers in that range for the right opportunity." Get all offers in writing and only accept in writing.

When companies go through the effort of actually extending a formal written offer, they will do more to keep it alive and not start the process over with someone else. It's amazing how taxing it can be for HR to write a simple letter!

Well....bad news.

She said that they did not have the flexibility to adjust the budget but wanted to stay in touch for any additional opportunities.

Ugh, that stinks. They will probably be getting someone less skilled for the rate they're paying. Maybe that person won't last and they'll end up calling you back a year down the road or something.. of course, you may have already found a better position by then.

Archived