Bad interview but got a call back?

Has anyone ever thought they interviewed poorly but got a call back?

I am freaking out about this job I've been interviewing for, for many reasons. I'm sure all of you will tell me to chill out, that I'm making it bigger than it is.

The first thing that is worrying me is that when the HR Director reached out to me about my job application, it was on a Sunday. After I had my phone interview with her, she reached back out on a Sunday to schedule an in-person interview. Now, this past Sunday went by and based on the Sunday pattern, I'm worried it is not good news that I haven't heard anything.

I didn't have a BAD interview but again, I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. The first girl I interviewed with would be my supervisor. She wasn't mean, she just seemed like she was "all work, no play". She also seemed to really play devil's advocate with me and combat my answers. To start, she asked me if I knew what I was interviewing for, since it wasn't a position that was exactly like my current position. Maybe that is a standard question but I would hope I would know what the position was for.

Secondly, she asked me why I wanted to get into social media. I told her that I started my career doing social media and although I like traditional media (radio, tv), I thought social media allowed for a lot more creativity. Her response was "Well, it doesn't seem like you know what the job description is. You won't have a say in the creative". My response to her was "I don't think creativity is seen just through the ad you show the consumer. Creativity can be applied to strategy as well". I just felt like that was something she should know in the position she is in.

The interview ended early and she just seemed SUPER hard to talk to. I totally lead the conversation by asking her how she started out her career and where she was from. I swear, it was like pulling teeth to get her to talk.

The next interview was with the guy who was her boss. That interview went much better. He asked me a lot about my current role and what kind of social media campaigns we did for client, specifically wanting to know about our reporting process. He made it clear that many of the applicants only applied because they are active in social media with their personal accounts, but how no knowledge of how to measure social media. After we were done, he took me back to the HR Director, who walked me out.

Overall, it wasn't a horrible interview. I just feel like my interview with the girl was a bit rocky and "forced".

As I stated earlier, I just keep psyching myself out. I will for a second think that it is ok that I haven't heard anything yet but then I think, maybe its not. Also, I keep worrying that it is bad that neither one of them gave me their business card for a follow up.

Thoughts?

She asked you some pretty standard questions. The combativeness was more in your own mind - "duh, of course I know". Well the idea behind her questions is making sure that this is the kind of a job you really want to pursue and is not just a gap filler where you will be gone in a few months after the company wasted time and money training you. Being able to articulate well your grasp of what the job entails, why you want it, and how you fit in it is frankly crucial to the success of an interview. The more the employer gets the sense that you will be able to pick up your role fast and fit well in it, the greater the chance of you being hired.

Anyway, the fact that you interviewed with her boss, means that she passed you along as a candidate worth the boss's time to talk to. So don't sweat it too much.

Well, I wouldn't say that last part is necessarily true because I was already scheduled to interview with him after her.

I don't feel like my interview went HORRIBLE with her, I just felt like it wasn't easy flowing. I did get a sense that she wanted to make sure I knew what the job entailed. She asked why I wanted to move to that city and if I was aware of the nights and weekends that came with it.

I JUST WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING!!

Has anyone ever thought they interviewed poorly but got a call back?

Thoughts?

yes... the job I currently have. I thought I had a bad phone interview, but I got called back for a second interview and then hired.

btw, I like your riposte to the chick about creativity. Well done.

I wouldn't want a job under someone so condescending as the first person, but I did read your other thread and know you are completely frustrated with the job you have now. Anyway, I hope you hear something soon. They may not always contact everyone on Sundays, and the first interviewer may have been hard on all candidates.

yes... the job I currently have. I thought I had a bad phone interview, but I got called back for a second interview and then hired.

btw, I like your riposte to the chick about creativity. Well done.

Haha, thanks! I wasn't trying to be combative back with her but I was like DANG GIRL, CHILL!!! I am qualified for the position, knew what I was interviewing for and I've never had anyone question me as much as she did. It honestly threw me off a little bit.

I wouldn't want a job under someone so condescending as the first person, but I did read your other thread and know you are completely frustrated with the job you have now. Anyway, I hope you hear something soon. They may not always contact everyone on Sundays, and the first interviewer may have been hard on all candidates.

I have a friend who works with this company and she said that the girl wasn't mean or anything like that. Maybe she was tired of interviewing people who weren't qualified. I definitely got the impression from the guy I interviewed with that people just assumed that since they were active with their personal social media accounts, that that meant that they were qualified for this position. MOST people don't know or understand social media monitoring and measuring and how your findings are extremely important when optimizing the campaign.

And yes, I am MISERABLE at my current job.

I have a friend who works with this company and she said that the girl wasn't mean or anything like that. Maybe she was tired of interviewing people who weren't qualified. I definitely got the impression from the guy I interviewed with that people just assumed that since they were active with their personal social media accounts, that that meant that they were qualified for this position. MOST people don't know or understand social media monitoring and measuring and how your findings are extremely important when optimizing the campaign.

And yes, I am MISERABLE at my current job.

Hmm, okay. She might have just been conducting interviews in that style to see if people were serious. I can imagine that a lot of people would think they were qualified for a social media job just because they can use Facebook or something.

I've really been freaking out about hearing back from this company.

I was at work today and was about 15 minutes into an hour long brainstorm meeting when my phone started going off. It was the company. I had to sit through the rest of the meeting (45 minutes) knowing there was a voicemail that would let me know one way or the other).

After she left the voicemail, I never received a follow up email, like I did last time. So as ridiculous as I am, I started thinking "OMG I didn't get it. OMG OMG OMG".

I FINALLY get out of the meeting and checked my voicemail. She said she wanted to discuss next steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well....bump in the road...

I talked to the Recruiter and she said they were interested in moving forward. BUT, they were looking to pay low to mid 30s. That is about 10K less than what I make now.

I don't even understand how that is possible. They are looking for someone who has 2-4 years experience and in my opinion, that salary is for an entry-level person.

How often do people change the salary for a candidate they really want?

Well....my guess is rarely- is there more room for growth than in your current position? Any additional benefits/perks they can offer you?

We didn't really discuss much further than that. She told me that were very interested in moving forward but the problem was what they budgeted for salary. Then when I told her I could absolutely not accept 10K less than what I make now, she asked if I would accept what I make currently. She said that with my experience, I should be in a "senior level" position. The thing is, the requirement for this position is 2-4 years of experience. The salary they want to pay is definitely for an entry-level person. I'm not sure how they would be able to find someone who can perform the job duties and accept that low ball salary offer.

The problem here is you are going through a recruiter. She works for them.

So it is in HER interest to get you to take low ball offer.

Tell HER you want the job...but that a laterally move is not in your best interest.

Tell HER that if they sweeten the pot, and include a 6 month review w/ upgrade in salary you are totally on board and will sign.

You know they want you.

The recruiter is paid to keep you low.

Asking for a few grand at outset w/ 6 month review keeps everyone happy....

And you get to leave your $hitty job!

Believe me...I have played the exact same cards to my advantage!

The problem here is you are going through a recruiter. She works for them.

So it is in HER interest to get you to take low ball offer.

Tell HER you want the job...but that a laterally move is not in your best interest.

Tell HER that if they sweeten the pot, and include a 6 month review w/ upgrade in salary you are totally on board and will sign.

You know they want you.

The recruiter is paid to keep you low.

Asking for a few grand at outset w/ 6 month review keeps everyone happy....

And you get to leave your $hitty job!

Believe me...I have played the exact same cards to my advantage!

I think that this is good advice, Amanda. .....chi

This whole this has been a bit frustrating and confusing.

First of all, in my initial phone interview, I told the recruiter what my expected salary range was. So why proceed with the interview knowing that I wanted about 15-20k more than what they had budgeted to pay?

During my initial phone interview, the recruiter told me the next steps would be another phone interview with the hiring managers and then, if I made it to the next round, I'd come in for about a 1/2 day of interviews. Well, they totally skipped the second phone interview with the hiring managers and had me drive the 2 1/2-3 hours to interview for an hour. During that interview, they told me the next steps were for me to come back to the office and then I'd have to take a social media assessment test.

So, it was pretty surprising to hear the recruiter tell me that they wanted to move forward, especially after lacking confidence about how the interview went.

I just don't understand why they would even pursue me, knowing what I wanted salary wise. I don't even really know where we left it after our phone conversation. She said they were very interested in bringing me on but that they couldn't pay what I requested. That was when she asked if I would accept what I make now (although she doesn't know an exact amount - just that I make in the low 40s) and when I said that was much more doable than a 10k pay reduction, she said she would go back to the team and let them know, but that we should definitely keep in touch for any positions that may open in the future. My understanding too was that they needed to get someone in quickly. This job is for a major well-known sport and the season begins February 18.

But in response to blueidealist, the salary for this position is entry level but the job requirements are not. Correct me if I am wrong, but 2-4 years of experience is not entry level. And this just isn't a social media job where people post content on a page. This job requires a large amount of analysis of data collected about how well a Facebook post or Tweet performed. Not a lot of people have the experience to make the recommendations they want.

But in response to blueidealist, the salary for this position is entry level but the job requirements are not. Correct me if I am wrong, but 2-4 years of experience is not entry level. And this just isn't a social media job where people post content on a page. This job requires a large amount of analysis of data collected about how well a Facebook post or Tweet performed. Not a lot of people have the experience to make the recommendations they want.

No, 2-4 years of experience isn't entry-level. Employers are pushing it these days, calling it 1-3, but I'd say it should be more like 1, and def. not 4. The jobs I'm thinking of that paid low (like $10.25 an hour sometimes, which I think would equal less than $25k per year) were mostly for content posting, yeah.

No, 2-4 years of experience isn't entry-level. Employers are pushing it these days, calling it 1-3, but I'd say it should be more like 1, and def. not 4. The jobs I'm thinking of that paid low (like $10.25 an hour sometimes, which I think would equal less than $25k per year) were mostly for content posting, yeah.

Exactly. That's my point. This job is far more than just posting content to their social media handles. This job includes taking a VERY detailed looking at fan sentiment and engagement. Looking at site metrics like URL clicks, unique visitors, bounce rate, etc. After reviewing those metrics, you give recommendations on how to better engage your audience, etc.

This is the recruiter thinking she could get you to take a low ball offer. Not the company.

You might want to re-evaluate the recruiter.

Well she works directly with the company. She isn't like someone who works for a recruiting company. Does that make a difference?

I am just frustrated on how the conversation was left. She said she was going to go back to talk to them about a lateral offer but should I expect to hear some feedback (if any) this early?

Archived